I think I drive the DX-7 of automobiles

So looking through the Bob Dylan thread reminded me that I daily drive what is probably the Yamaha DX-7 of cars. Oddly enough, I also use the Mazda MX-5 of synths as my master keyboard, in all of its brown glory. Both have sold in enormous numbers and both have earned their reputation as timeless classics that will probably remain relevant for years, cliché be damned. Regardless, both are keepers for the long haul.

So what about you? Do you drive the Roland JV-1080 of family cars? Or perhaps you have the KFC of wristwatches?

6 Likes

If the DX-7 of cars isn’t the Oldsmobile Tornado, I don’t know what is.

2 Likes

I used to drive an MX-5 Mk1.

Great car, lovely to drive, the tightest gearbox I’ve ever used, just made to be thrashed about in.

I don’t know what it’s like in America though, but if you drive a convertible in the UK and have even a passing interest in driving with the roof down, people will queue up at traffic lights to lean out of their cars and call you a wanker.

I feel like having a DX7 in the passenger seat would only serve to worsen the aforementioned verbals, which I guess makes it an entirely appropriate companion for such a trip out.

15 Likes

I drive a Škoda Octavia estate (aka wagon/combi). It’s the Novation Peak of cars. Practical, spacious, won’t let you down, everything you need and nothing you don’t. The sensible choice.

3 Likes

Same colour, same age…

*Not my car.

6 Likes

A DX7 is a fitting comparison for a daily driver, in that the velocity will never exceed 100… :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Nice comparo @psychic_pizza . I wouldn’t have thought of that one.

@konketsu :rofl:

Humble brag.

2 Likes

In my mind I drive the Waldorf Quantum of vehicles, but in reality it’s closer to the MicroQ.

And not even the keyboard… the module.

5 Likes

Not sure what to compare it too but I love our Subaru Outback. Dream vehicle for me!

Was pretty much just a full time cyclist until I moved to my current city.

2 Likes

Your car looks great and you don’t need to foot the bills for the RS6 Avant though! I say this as the owner of a supercharged Q7. My MX-5 is black, the Audi is white so I feel your B&W photos. :wink:

1 Like

Who knew there were a few hairdressers amongst us?

:rofl:

6 Likes

Nice! Actually the RS6 Avant is my dream wagon… truly the Quantum of vehicles.

1 Like

Just kidding, it used to be a thing to say MX-5, (or MR-2, or pretty much any small sports or soft top car) was a hairdressers car but they are actually pretty decent.

2 Likes

I drive the Octatrack of cars…SOOB WRX 2014. when they make a 5 door Impreza again, im upgrading to latest…and STi

added to follow the trend :slight_smile:

6 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

3 Likes

Competition. The facts.

8 Likes

2 Likes

@phaelam Totally, it’s magic.

@rex_mundii Nailed it.

3 Likes

Hey now, I’m into vans, small roadsters, campers (caravans) and I even like some romplers and 16 bit samplers so don’t think I’m not used to derision! :nerd_face:

2 Likes