Please delete

Deleted.

I’ll do a book recommendation: The breakbeat bible by Mike adamo. Totally focused on hip hop drums with a number of sections devoted to hihats. You won’t regret going through it and programming all the example breaks.

8 Likes

Thanks, I’ll give it a go.

IDK. I think the simple 1234 works on that. Like your sound!

But if you want that more shuffle-y feel you could do some variations of:
“and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4” with the “ands” ghosting and the 1234 accented.

1 Like

The way I do hihats for my hiphop tracks is based on the way I learned to do them on my old mpc: either quantised or unquantised, often with a level of swing (depending on the feel I’m going for), and always!! with velocity variations among the hats. The mpc has the great 16 level function, but elektron machines can also do this with parameter locking different velocity or volume per step.

I can’t stress this last point enough: hihats come alive when you can vary the velocity and timing per hit. This helps make em sound more subtle, but still present without being too robotic.

3 Likes

I think you will find a lot of answers and resources here:

2 Likes

you can accomplish a lot with swing and shifting of notes. the hihat a little later.
also swing on the 8th notes and then also swing on the 16 notes.
you can also play with the swing and shifting of the kicks and snares to complement that.

In the latest book on J Dilla there is a lot of stuff about drums and swing and shifting of notes. Very interesting.

1 Like

No worries mate, I just mentioned it because there is a lot of great stuff in there! There can never be enough hip-hop threads :sunglasses:

1 Like

From someone who is not a “real HipHopHead”, but listening to various Hip Hop since the mid 90th:

Hip Hop did not get better, when they started to increase Hihat-pattern-compexity (at least for my ear).

2 Likes

I’m in the exact opposite situation. My hats usually sound good. Everything else sucks!

2 Likes

Typical drummer answer here. I recommend playing along with tracks that you think are good/ have good hats. Don’t bother recording at first if you don’t want to, just try to mimic what you’re hearing. You’ll get a good sense of how they should feel in a track and how the dynamics vary. It might be the long way around (or maybe not) but it will probably be the most holistic approach.

5 Likes

In my experience good hip hop hats require two things:

1. Two different sounds for up and down beats. This can be done through different velocities, filter cuttoffs, samples, whatever. But I feel like my favorite hi hat patterns have distinct tick and tock sounds, kind of like a clock.

2. The whole pattern (not just every other 1/8th or 1/16th is pushed backwards/forwards relative to the rest of the pattern.

IMO the types of hi hats you hear from folks like Dilla/FlyLo/Knxwledge/Kaytranada, etc are less about “swing” per se, and more about velocity and shift timing. A lot of times what you are perceiving as swung notes are actually straight 1/8th or 1/16th notes (i.e. swing = 50%) them backwards or forwards in time. That’s not to say the typical “push every other note backwards” approach doesn’t have it’s uses (it’s great for your good ol’ fashoned boom bap) but when people are talking about playing “drunk” or “in the pocket” or “off the grid” they’re usually just playing straight notes behind the beat.

MPCs have a parameter called shift timing which makes this effect really easy. But if you’re working with samples you can adjust sample start to add “air” to the front of your samples, which will have the same effect. It’s a little more difficult on Elektron boxes, typically I’ll just copy/paste trigs, or use my forearm to select all 16 trigs and then adjust from there.

3 Likes

Also play with decay and filters next to velocity and timing, keep it loose! And pick a nice hihat sound :wink:

1 Like

It’s not specific to hip-hop, but I found this video to have a lot of good suggestions for humanizing hats on drum machines.

3 Likes

I hear something like a
X-x-X->x×X-x-X-=-X-x-X->x×X-x-X—X-x-X>x×X-x-X==-X-x-X>x×X-x-X-t-t
In my head for something beyond 1/8ths

*> shift:extra swung
= open hh if you like
t trip for last one or two hits turnaround

Straight grid type hats can work well with shifty kicks and snares or vise versa

Q note downbeat different sound for footpedal can work nicely too

Nothing wrong with driving 8ths and repetitive velocity patterns, throw a few hits off for more live sounding dynamics, throw in a few low grace 16ths as leading notes if desired

1 Like