I mangled a generative Nord Modular G1 patch into IDM madness using Octatrack

Patching on a computer is fun and certainly more powerful, but it’s not the same thing
(at least to me)

Oh, well that’s great to hear.

It’s a shame the forums seem to suggest that Windows users are still having problems.

Yeah I’d love to have some Eurorack stuff… in fact I’m probably gonna get a small case soon. Both have their advantages though, I think. Physical modular is obviously more tactile/instant and can interact with outside influences with ease, but then again Nord is a nice self contained environment that is only limited by the power of the DSP chips.

and how control them live?. A midi controller? Isn’t that difficult with bigger patches, to keep an overview?
I was also wondering this for the G1. Are there enough parameters for more complicated patches? It seems layed out more towards subtractive synth structures like the Nord leads.
The G2 has a much smarter interface it seems

me too. When Blocks came out, I thought that’s only a matter of time. But not sure how many people use Blocks. Not so many videos out there. VCV rack seems much more popular.

of course. I keep my eurorack system very small, it can’t compete with a software modular environment at all. But losing yourself in patch cables and knob turning is very fun even with a very limited system or an 0-coast :slight_smile:
The Nords are crazy powerful of course, and they still sound awesome.
I still love the sound of the old Nord leads as well

1 Like

For good reason: “patching” is much closer to the real thing.

I’ve been close to pulling the trigger on a Micro sooo many times. I still expect there to come soon fine devices to pick up where Nord will no longer go. We already have axoloti, organelle, zoia…

1 Like

and it’s for free. I guess that’s the main reason. I still have more fun with blocks, but that’s mainly because I can hear VCV barely, since my fans still go crazy when I patch only a few modules.

2 Likes

:joy: Fanpass Filter

I’ve heard of this but haven’t experienced it yet. Haven’t played with it much tho. I like Reaktors selection more.

1 Like

This is very interesting albeit seems like the supporting software is quite archaic. I get the impression it would require too much programming? Also, dont you prefer using wires instead?

I’ve got 2x nord micro and 1x nord modular keyboard :slight_smile:
A bit greedy…

I’ve always liked the raw sound , there’s a massive library of patches around to get things going too , I mostly tweak existing patches .
Yes , it’s a pain to run but there are some pre configured wine / editor files around which I’ve had few problems with.

Agree. VCV is a cpu pig.
I prefer blocks too. Its not a ‘pretty’. But you can do and make way more. MAX is even better.

1 Like

Actually the Nord G1/2 editors are (in my opinion) the best software rendition of a modular there is. Yes, the graphics might a bit old and lo-res. The compatibility might be quirky. But nothing comes near!

4 Likes

If i only were patient enough to learn it

learn it. do a lesson or two a day. dont try to move fast. thats a total deterrent.

1 Like

Yeah i started several times. Beginning is ok, but then
comes the the point where you want to learn how to do something cool, that‘s where it gets overwhelming quickly

I learned puredata for a while last year, and it’s great, but I hit a huge wall when it came to being able to save and recall presets within my patch. I just couldn’t get any help online. Lots of conflicting information. So my nanoloop clone sequencer is sitting dormant for a while until I can figure it out :stuck_out_tongue:

Not at all! It may have a lot of the standard subtractive synth modules, but I’ve made patches that make sounds entirely without using the traditional oscillator or filter modules. It’s even possible to use a sequencer module as a very crude wavetable oscillator.

Even with a standard subtractive layout, I feel compelled to do something weird with it. One of my favourite things to do is route another oscillator to control the filter cutoff using high resonance; it can go from making crazy burbly sounds to sharp overtones. Also, if you make your own resonance by feeding the output of a filter back into its input, you can put things in the feedback path, like overdrive, phaser, wave wrapper etc… and get very weird/interesting results.

I wouldn’t go this far, as adding and removing modules causes a gap in the sound (and still can’t be done without the editor), but yeah the self-contained rack version is definitely more convenient…

There’s no programming involved. It’s literally dragging virtual wires from module to module. Real physical modular is great, but sometimes I want to just keep adding oscillators, LFOs, having 20 different destinations from one output, etc. Also being able to save entire modular configurations to a patch on the machine is a definite benefit! As I’ve said earlier in this thread though, I probably will have a real modular setup at some point.

firstly - let me congratulate you on the title of your post. I’m looking forward to the release with the same name.I’ve been skipping around the vid & agree with earlier poster: 28’ & what follows is pretty on target. There’s a nice sense of collapse in a heat-death-of-the-universe kind of way - throughout.

1 Like

Thanks!

Yeah, this is a really great way to put it :smiley: It’s actually a concept/sound I aim for sometimes with this project. Decay, things changing irreversibly. It’s something I’m still developing, but the idea behind it is something I call “linear music”. Embracing destructive change; each new performance picks up from the changes made to the previous one. Using previous failure/errors to create future success. I am aware of how much I sound like a wanker, btw :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

haha - ‘wanker’ not at all - you’ve got some themes & vision to express via your sound and your process. Seems like this is functioning quite well.

Added: & yeah interesting: I’ve heard a few modular synth ppls describe starting over each time from the patch that was left on the machine from last time - it’s an intriguing improviser-detail or philosophy(?). I have messed a little bit with ChucK scripts that save state when I shut things down

1 Like

How about this in similar vein - it seems potentially very interesting, and the Magus has numerous programmable physical patch points too: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/marser/magus-synthesizer

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s my way of embracing the kind of destructive sequencer edits on pre-Digi* Elektron machines. I’m having a lot more fun just messing around and making loose jams that I’ll edit later, rather than trying to compose super tight songs that would be ruined if anything changed in the patterns/kits/parts/etc…