I made a beat with a 7/8 time signature on the Digitakt

During my first couple of weeks with the Digitakt I tried to make a track with a 7/8 time signature. I had trouble doing it back then, and I had trouble doing it now! That one last missing step really throws me off my muting game.

I had a hard time moving past the first loop. For the longest time I didn’t know where to go next, and I’m not 100% convinced I moved in the right direction, but I’m still happy with how the melodies turned out :). Of all the tracks I’ve made so far, I think this one took the most retries until I was happy with the results, mistakes and all.

I sampled my favorite free VST called OB-Xd and used it for the bassline. I made sure the 10 second long sample contained a lot of movement, and I made the start point of that sample jump around at random.

I use one shot samples for my drums and my melodies. The drums are resampled into loops, and the melodies are made by dialing in the note for each step in the sequencer. I use drum samples from The Lo-Fi Box sample pack by Image-Line and have sampled one shots of various VSTs.

All audio is coming from the Digitakt, though I added a limiter in post.

Thanks for listening!

22 Likes

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: I absolutely love our prolific @eaves / Ivar Tryti’s music and I thought it would be cool to have all in one thread