I’m done with Elektron

I don’t go to as many shows as I used to, but still I’ve never seen them. Personally the only OT I’ve ever seen in person is mine…
I’d say 90% of what I’ve seen is ableton or tracktor…

1 Like

Honestly I haven’t experienced the hardware craze from what I’ve seen in town, I just read about it online…
I’m one of sneaky hardware guys around here but don’t play gigs with them yet…
I’ve noticed a few people getting the new electribes, but they’re still pretty glued to ableton and just dabbling…

Right?! I’ve been returning to the thread a few times, and each time I get very confused how the thread went in the direction it went.

2 Likes

I’m in l.a. The scene which I participate in it is incredible difficult for an electronic musician to book a show or “get in” with the active collectives without a hardware setup (generally with at least on elektron box present) and a stack of cassettes to sell. And to even further divide the scene its modular vs other hardware a lot of the time. It’s rather awful.

1 Like

Great finding … :+1:

but this song is very acoustic and smooth … those girls could play “Enter Sandman” with their harps too, but there would never be that Metallica feeling … it would be very sweet, though :wink:

I think it’s cool when people use what they really enjoy. It makes music better when people stop trying to be cool or like someone else. I’ve been teaching myself to play the clarinet - mostly jazzy and trippy eastern inspired stuff - over dance beats. It adds a wilder sense of presence to the mix. Yet its about the least cool instrument for a guy to play, but it’s fun so far and made parts of tracks sound much more fresh and alive to my ear anyway…

5 Likes

The only real cool, is when your not trying or wanting to be cool at all… :wink:

When you fully put yourself into something nobody thinks is cool and strut that shit, that’s fucking cool to me…

7 Likes

You just need to ask https://open.spotify.com/album/0sgH1wN62esj0TsAdoClM1
Those girls play Enter Sandman on Harp too.

1 Like

Ah, but that makes you cool now because you aren’t using a modular now. :wink:

Used to be the case rebels had tatoos and beards, now that everyone has them it means you are a conformist if you have, and a rebel if not :rofl:

Modular was peak cool about 6 years ago, now it is passe because everyone is doing it :joy:

Using a hardware only setup used to be cool, but now that everyone is doing it using a DAW is cool again :sunglasses:

Of course I’m just joking…DAWs will never be cool :joy:

8 Likes

All this analysis about ‘cool’ reminds me why it’s important to not worry about anyone but yourself as best you can :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It’s disappointing to hear that the scene has become all about the scenesters. I read stuff like this and I’m reminded why I decided to build a career instead of trying to pursue music professionally.

For me I’ve always understood the local I live in a never pursued music as a career, l.a. Is incredibly over saturated with musicians, djs, artist, actors etc. I have a pretty cool career which leave me evening and weekends open for active exploration into performing music as hobby. I’ve never felt the pressure to conform to a scene cause music doesn’t pay my bills. So I generally float around the fringes doing my thing.
There are some people here that are really about just making good music or good art but not as many as one would expect in a city of 4 million.

2 Likes

I’m done with the I’m done with Elektron thread.

24 Likes

To quote myself from this very thread

“I’m just getting started “ was exactly what was running in my mind as I opened this thread tonight after my session. OT got my jaw hitting the floor thanks to ur tips!!

1 Like
5 Likes

lol

3 Likes

Anyone cool is pretending they like using trackers in 2018 :grinning:

2 Likes

I play spoons and my live visuals are flip books.

3 Likes

Amazing … thanks for the link.

BTW … I have got a harp myself … maybe I should not play Irish music on the instrument only :wink: