I just bought an OT Mk2

The first thing I did with the OT was to turn on the machine, put the manual next to it and took a notepad with a really open mind, like it was the beginning of something new.
I read the manual from the first to the last page, took a lot of notes and tried to apply all the things that are explained step by step. It took me around 2 intensive weeks.
Then I tried to create some really simple tracks using just a few features that I found worth exploring. The cool thing is that you have so many options that you can’t really be bored and there must be a way to use it that speaks to you.
It takes some time to understand it and to accept the fact that some things are weird, but it’s really worth it.
Enjoy your OT!

6 Likes

I got one a few weeks ago and I love it. I tend to make some written notes about features that are important to me. As many already said, it is important to understand the structure of the machine (sets - projects - banks - patterns - parts), then many things will make sense.

1 Like

I use chapter 19. SUMMARY OF KEY PRESS COMBINATIONS as a way to understand what the OT can do, then jump to the things I want to try. It’s like doing reverse engineering on a crashed flying saucer, but with a little printed guide :robot:

6 Likes

I don’t own one yet but will get one this year, 2022!!

In one video I watched - I think red means recording- he mentioned that there are tutorials at the end of the manual which are good… maybe that is a good starting point

2 Likes

This one?

1 Like

From what I gather, I could use the OT as a mixer, a sampler mangler, a FX unit and much more.
I am intrigued by slices after watching this video posted by @Strutter
I am also looking forward to resample on the spot from DFAM, Digitakt and Bassline DB 01 :slight_smile:

Edit: but first things first… Set, project, banks, parts, patterns… Correct order?

1 Like

Not saying Im wise. This is just my insights after 6 years intense use. You might find them helpful.

Think of OT as having 3 layers.
1: 8 track recorders, always available, concurrently, all of the time, regardless of what the other layers are doing. Each can be configured how ever you like.

2: 8 Audio tracks, for playing back samples, passing through audio, loopers, FX chains, etc again always available, can be configured how ever you like, regardless of what the other layers are doing.

3: 8 midi tracks. Always available, concurrently, can be configured however you like, regardless of what other layers are doing.

So really, Octatrack is 3x 8 tracks. Recorders, playbackers, and midi sequencers. So in essence you actually have 24 tracks to play with…

Other useful thoughts:

Flex machines do not record anything. At all. Ever.

Track recorders will self destruct their contents, unless you save them to the flash card.

Static machines are more useful that what the internet will tell you.

Some people say the LFO depth doesnt go fine enough… they forget about the LFO designer. If you want a super subtle sine wave, you can make one. You can make any shape you want eg : a slewed random shape.

Master volume at max, then mix with the track levels.

There’s heaps more but the morning cuppa hasnt kicked in yet.

Enjoy!

30 Likes

Yes, and more!! it’s also a portal to unknown dimensions and one hell of a midi seq/arp.

I haven’t used parts at all but am intending to figure it out in the near future.
To me it seems like it’s the last function many of the users learn.
I might be wrong though.

1 Like

Also learn to make use of how easy it is to copy and paste - patterns, steps, pages, parts etc, these speed up workflow no end.

6 Likes

I think he did a better job at mystifying it :upside_down_face: But maybe it‘s helpful to start out

3 Likes

I would just try to make simple steps that are useful to make a track.

• learn how to load samples
  • learn how to make a simple drum beat with these samples
  • apply some fx to these tracks
  • learn how to loop a single cycle waveform and make a little melody in chromatic mode
  • learn how to slice a drumloop, sequence and rearrange those slices
  • learn how to hook up a synth via midi. Use the midi arp to let thats synth play a sequence.
  • learn how to audition that external synth via OT inputs and apply fx
  • learn how to sample that synth. Save the sample. Slice and rearrange the sample.

You can learn all the octatrack language along the way - make music with it. Step by step.
Parts - Banks - Arranger - all the different machines will make sense when you need them. Not if you try to grasp everything beforehand.

Edit: Damn I forgot the crossfader. Learn how to make a simple lowpass filter sweep on your master track (learn how to set up a master track :upside_down_face:) by setting up a scene

14 Likes

Many tricks and secrets to uncover… like a video game you’re trying to 100%… take in the basics… but the fun might not start til your brain gels it all together for you. The whole live resampling thing is quite mind blowing… like breaking the fabric of space time haha. And as also others have said, save your buffers (if u want them)… otherwise it’s cool to think of the octatrack as a passthrough device. I’ve spent hours with the OT generating all sorts of audio recorded externally, with nothing to actually show for on the box itself by the end of it… (kinda like an FX pedal / mixer)

1 Like

Great advice. I just want to add that a new user should try to go back to the things they learned, as there is so much to learn that some things can be easy to forget.

So definitely learn that list, but cycle through it a few times to lock it into memory.

Or else you’ll be less likely to do things with it in a few months because things have been forgotten and who wants to learn how to record audio from the jacks again when all you want to do is record a quick sample?

3 Likes

I have been using Digitakt quite a bit over the last 3 years so some things actually do make sense.
Still, overwhelming…

I reckon you’ll be fine, still a few things can catch seasoned users out but most of these are well documented on the forum.

1 Like

If you know the digitakt you will catch the basics quickly

1 Like

If you try to absorb all of it at once, yes. (Eg, 24 tracks, various trig modes, parts, scenes etc)

However, if you just use bits of it, learn it. Then move to another bit, its quite manageable.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Keep an open mind and take your time. It’s a deep and amazing device. Plan to keep it long term and just enjoy the ups and downs.

Use it on its own for a bit.

When you plug in other gear, remember to place trigs to open up thru tracks.

Remember that pressing and holding one of the five keys under the screen + play will reset all that button’s settings back to default. (This has helped me when I’ve messed things up, and couldn’t figure it out)

Mind your scenes when troubleshooting.

5 Likes

Yes.

Note that Parts and Patterns are siblings. They are both children of Banks, and they have a different relationship to one another. Each Pattern is associated with a single Part. Multiple patterns can use the same Part (Part <—>> Pattern). Parts are like “kits” on some other devices: the collection of settings, Machines and base sample selections for Tracks. Tracks are not part of the data structure, but it’s the Parts that define how the Tracks behave.

(The rest of your list uses a parent -->> child relationship as you go from left to right; I felt it worth pointing out, to you, or anyone else new who comes across this conversation, that the last two in the list break the pattern established earlier in the list.)

4 Likes

best tutorial IMO is Thavius Beck on Ask Video

7 Likes