I have everything I need. No more GAS

what is it? BOAT = break out another thousand? :rofl:

I hear ya though. for me, bike racing ainā€™t cheap either. and you see very little return on your investment. itā€™s just a money and energy pit, really. fun though. sometimes.

anyway, these perfect setup/zero gas threads always make me laugh. there is no such thing. new stuff will come out. or youā€™ll discover old stuff youā€™re interested in. or your style will change. or youā€™ll move and have less or more space. etcā€¦ doesnā€™t matter really. typically itā€™s all musical growth, I think.

I scaled back to an AK as an experiment to force me to learn it all the way. Almost 2 years later and I rarely feel the need for anything else. Lots of music I used to do is not really possible on it, because of samples alone but also true drum machines and deep poly, etcā€¦

But the AK always waves some idea in my face and leads me off somewhere before my GAS can really get going. Hell I stared down those TipTop Buchla modules without a serious contest, that tells you something lol.

2 Likes

Famous last words. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

ā€¦now i have everything i needā€¦is the second most studio statement ever madeā€¦
comes right after the everlasting questionā€¦why do i hear nothingā€¦

was never haunted by gasā€¦

always just got me what i needed to get it doneā€¦always statedā€¦i have ervything i needā€¦
then workflow/habits/sonic mission target chnagesā€¦get me what i need to get that doneā€¦
state i have everything i needā€¦againā€¦then workflow/habits/taste/next level sounddesign sonic mission change againā€¦i get the gear to get thereā€¦get it doneā€¦next levelā€¦hey here i am, now i really finlly have everthing i ever could needā€¦feel fulfilled in sonic peace and comfortzoneā€¦then new sonic vision, next misions to fulfill, next expanding taste and experience levelā€¦get the next level tools to do soā€¦feel smooth and on topā€¦state with elderly coolnesā€¦well, u know, i have everthing i needā€¦

but after all these years of writing and producing music, living a truu recording and performing artistsā€™ life full onā€¦i can now say, that i learned sooo many sonic lessons alooong the way, that i actually now and finally, this time for real, invested in the very final sonic solution of gear and how i gonna use itā€¦i really eally really think, i have everything i needā€¦for now.

3 Likes

A correct statement would be : Iā€™m done for the year.

3 Likes

you can all be my witnesses: iā€™m making the call not to buy any hardware or plugins for the foreseeable future to instead focus on practicing piano/keys. it was written. so it shall be.

4 Likes

Itā€™ll be another month until I can say that and actually believe it.

1 Like

I feel the same in terms of music making devices like synths and drum machines, but now iā€™m going down the FX rabbit hole! In particular the Microcosm and some Chase Bliss stuff, the pursuit is never over m8!

Can we follow you via a Live webcam.

2 Likes

I can see a lot of gaps in your set up Iā€™d be all over the net researching :slight_smile:

good luck! I am on a similar buzz; focusing on piano has been tremendously productive for me. I love samplers &etc, but I must be honest with myself that the outcome is better when I sit at my (fake) piano.

1 Like

I canā€™t say Iā€™m done for the year cause Iā€™m waiting for 2 devices and, hopefully, theyā€™ll arrive before the end of the year.

1 Like

Iā€™m prepared to go as far as to say I promise not to post anything in the latest purchases thread before next year.

On a more serious note, ā€needā€ and GAS speak totally different languages in my head. I absolutely donā€™t need anything.

1 Like

hahaā€¦ yes, this is how to get on the path of the youtube influencer. get ready for some in-your-face graphics and clickbait titles.

ā€œ6.5 minor jazz chords the feds donā€™t want you to know ā€” THE IRS HATES HIM!ā€

3 Likes

Congratulations! :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :clinking_glasses:

This is a great feeling to have as long as it lastsā€¦ :sweat_smile:

I personally canā€™t imagine ever being productive with the amount of gear some people have in their setups, which is why I more often feel the need to sell/give away stuff than I feel like buying more stuff.

Ideally I would love to have a single perfect synth, but I guess nobody made it yet :joy:

2 Likes

Yamaha CS-80

1 Like

Read the topic subject ā€œI hate everything I need. No more GASā€. Making sense :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My intent with hardware is to have a physical purpose for performing. There is only so much I can do at once and so much I can take with me or set up, so thereā€™s really no need to buy or replace anything. Why for example, I wouldnā€™t need any additional drum machines or analog mono synths.

For the most part, Iā€™ve always wanted most of the stuff I have now since I was a kid. Things like JP8, A Virus, and a Moog. It took me almost 20 years till I was able to buy them.

Other synths donā€™t interest me because any other synth I may like to use, I just go to my local music shop, buy it with credit card, sample the living daylights out of it and then return it for 100% money back. So new synths and gear doesnā€™t really matter? The reason I went through buying and selling quite a few things is just finding stuff I click with and gives me a comfortable workflow. I hate change once I have a system I like.

For production, any sonic gaps in my setup I can easily just account for with plugins and VSTs. For live, itā€™s the same and I can just sample into my OT or Digi. If I have a synth, itā€™s so I can play live with it, or because it has a tone I enjoy so much, thatā€™s integral to my sounds and isnā€™t available by any current VST. ( Like the JP8 Supersaw )

I wonā€™t be able to afford any synths ever again anyways, because the reason I was able to buy all of my gear is due to a small windfall of money from an inheritance. I make slightly more than minimum wage at best, so unless I have a mob of artists breaking down my doors for production services, I doubt Iā€™ll ever be able to buy and keep any synths in the future, even if I wanted to. Not to mention the fact that I have other hobbies as well.

2 Likes

Youā€™re the one responsible for discounts on open boxes.