I don't want to sell my Digitakt but I do want an MPC One

I love the Digitakt for what it is, it’s limitations and what not. I’ve thought many times to give it away but I love it’s build quality, how immediate it feels and quick to jot ideas - I even started a house party with one sample and drums and we were all vibing to a beat I made on the spot with the DT.

That said it’s a pain for exporting and finishing tracks. Loading samples and exporting samples. Organising anything - I quit organising recordings, I just save whatever pre-generated name I am given, done.
I always struggle to make melodies on it, create more structured songs and I like to play the pads - I have the ableton push 2 and had owned MPD and keyboards with pads in the past.

I’ve been thinking of ordering an MPC One to add to my setup so I can make beats, plug my bass guitar and jam and just to have this one item I don’t need my whole setup on to work with. Right now if I want a full production experience I need to sit on my desk, turn mixer, laptop, monitor and speakers on, plus all the other cables and usb hubs that come with that.

What are your thoughts on the MPC One after a couple months it’s been out?
Why would you buy / not buy one ?

2 Likes

Looking again I think my thread can just be closed/deleted. I am just trying to figure out if it’s a good idea to order the mpc one.

3 Likes

If it helps, I have one on order to use with the OT. Mainly for when we are playing live, as there’s a few more tricks up its sleeve that the OT doesn’t have, in a live situation.

1 Like

FWIW, I’ve had one for about a month and it’s a lot of fun. There are some workflow quirks I’ve had to get used to, but it’s very immediate, easy to navigate sample directories, sounds great, and is generally a lot of fun. Still not sure exactly how it will integrate with my setup (I’ve mostly been playing with it stand-alone), but it seems very flexible.

Oh, and the build quality is very solid. The pads are MUCH better than the M:S and M:C, for example.

2 Likes

I’ve had an MPC One for a month after selling my Octatrack and I really love it. It doesn’t have the sound design muscle that the OT does but I’m really enjoy the physical playability of it. Build quality it great and the software was easy to learn.

3 Likes

I would wait for an Ableton Push upgrade too if you are into Ableton Live … It has to happen this year after all!

3 Likes

Do you happen to know if it does have any features for instruments like guitar effects, bass effects / amps? That would super useful considering by limited space home. All these pedals come with an extra power adapter.

I think I’m going to order from Music Store as it seems soldout in the UK

I know it will happen I just cannot wait. I got info from trustworthy source who worked on Push 2 (can’t mention which part as it would probably get someone in trouble lol).
I just don’t know when they will release and at which phase of maturity it was. I was told it’s a very interesting device and the person kinda nodded to being a hybrid standalone like MPC One/Live.

3 Likes

Beware MPC workflow is really awful!!

3 Likes

I always wanted an OT but a lot of the ergonomic issues I have with the DT are still there but one day I will get just because it’s such a cool machine ahaha and that fader is damn nifty, you can simply cross fade patterns - damn I’d love to read the code just for that fader module. One day…

1 Like

Yes, the scenes are really quite something!
If you’ve used the analog four performance mode, you’ll have a good idea of what you can do. Great machine.

1 Like

I’ve just sold 2 Digitakts with the Intention of buying an Mpc One. But I have an Octatrack and now the DTs have gone I feel calm and less stressed. Not sure I want to get the Mpc now.

1 Like

What do you find so awful about it? I’m new to the MPC and I’m loving the workflow. I’m finding it really easy to create tracks.

5 Likes

Another user here came up with this thought and it forever changed how I look at the Digitakt. Sorry, can’t remember who otherwise I’d totally credit them. And I’m probably butchering it but the idea is… stop thinking of the Digitakt as a sampler… rather think of it as an 8 voice synth where the oscillators are sample based.

That completely changed how I look at the Digitakt. I’m fortunate enough to have both devices. If you primarily want a sampler in the strictest sense, get the MPC One. It’s just going to be IMO the better option. That said, looking at the Digitakt more like a synth really opened up a completely different way of trying to use it and I stopped thinking about its limitations as a sampler. It’s really a completely different machine to me now.

It’s going to come down to what you really want and how you’re planning on trying to use it.

5 Likes

Agreed, mpc has the most logical workflow in hardware I’ve found so far

3 Likes

The first week I was scratching my head a bit because I was so used to working on Elektron devices but now that it’s clicked it seems so logical.

2 Likes

FWIW, I’ve had my MPC One for a couple months and really love it. I have an OctaTrack and DigiTone and love these as well. During my honeymoon with the MPC One, I put together a playlist of the many different ways I’ve used it to sequence hardware and iOS based synths. You can see the evolution of my workflow over a couple months once I became more and more familiar with the ONE. It’s a great addition to my overall setup and workflow:

6 Likes

to me MPC felt sooo slow compared to elektrons. But I probably did not invest enough time learning it…

2 Likes

You’ll find the MPC has some very good effects and plenty of them. From compressors and amps simulators to delays and reverbs you’ll have more than you’ll need. I’m very happy my MPC. I would keep the Elektron and add the MPC to your setup to have the best of both worlds. The MPC is also the best midi recorder in hardware form. Think about it, you can record midi sequences from your Elektron device into the MPC and stack 8x more tracks than the DT in a single sequence.

5 Likes