I don't know why but i need to say it!

The Digitakt is the best Elektron box.

9 Likes

monomachine has entered the chat
machinedrum has entered the chat
octatrack has entered the chat

14 Likes

The best Elektron box is the one you have. Fact.

11 Likes

All these nicknames for “Analog Four” that I’ve never heard before! Learn something new every day :wink:

16 Likes

Heh

6 Likes

Haha I have 4 so I can’t talk.

It was a reference to “the best camera is the one you have with you”

1 Like

For me the DT is the best Elektron box so far. It’s the center of my setup, and gets used heavily for percussion and midi sequencing. As Elektron has updated it with step sequencing, length per track, base filter, and 2 LFOs it really is at the top of it’s game.

It surprises me how often I use it as a “noise synth”. For example, if I have a few delays chained together and want to put some crazy harsh sound through it I always reach for my “Monster Synth” which is an Iridium + PRO3 wired as a single instrument. That’s a ton of synth horse power, but after I do that, I jump to the DT and do some quick sample mangling and it wins a lot of time and ends up being what’s used in the song. It’s really made me reset my POV on the DT as a special type of noise synth, and with 8 tracks you can really go nuts with that approach.

2 Likes

I started with the Digitakt and had a lot of fun in my beat making journey. A couple years later I decided to get an ARMK2. I’m married and often seek the approval of my wife before making big purchases. It’s good policy on my end to bring her into my music world from time to time.

So there sat my Digitakt for 8 months as my love affair with the ARMK2 began to flourish. In passing my wife asked “so what are you going to do with it?” To which I replied, “I dunno. Probably sell it. Kinda sucks because it’s such a cool little box.” We were both in agreement.

Fast forward to the dog days of summer. We live in NYC and use window A/C’s to cool half the apartment. My gear lives in the warm half, so it’s been neglected the last 1.5 months. As a result, I’ve been carrying my Digitakt to the cooler bedroom to make beats on the fly. Recently my wife said, “I don’t think you should sell it. It looks so retro.” I said, “I know. I love the industrial design of this thing.” A few days later I plugged it into our bedroom speaker and was playing a few beat sketches. She came by and offered a critique and a few compliments. I said, “You want to make a beat?” I taught her how to sample, assign to tracks and compose a few rhythms. Now she’s a fan and using it on her own. She asked “Tell me again how you make it not trigger every time?”

Imagine seeing the woman you love taking an interest and participating in your hobby/ passion. I have the Digitakt to thank for that. Not just because of its cool design, but its functionality, because it’s easy enough for a complete novice to understand and thus encourage to make music.

So yeah, best Elektron box in my opinion.

18 Likes

best post :grin:

In all seriousness, they are all good. Whichever Elektron you have, or whichever one is under your fingers at the moment is the best one.

1 Like

prooudtouched

1 Like

Definitely the second best sampler they made. I really enjoy the workflow and overbridge. 1 Gb of internal memory and no SD card is utter bullshit.

I can’t commit to sampling anything, and it’s been like this for years.

I recently got a DigiTakt, and I still haven’t attempted to sample on it.

It’s a neat little FX box though… but I may pass it on because for me sampling is, hmmm, not sure what to call it.

:- o

I used to really enjoy sampling on it, then I filled up the plus drive and had the painful experience of figuring out which samples I could remove and what projects that would affect. That definitely motivated me to focus on the OT where sampling is concerned. Now I treat the DT like a sample-based syntakt with a few key samples libraries of one-shot samples.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still an amazing tool, but it’s not the sonic sketch diary it once was, owing to the completely arbitrary internal memory constraints.

1 Like

I really wish the title to this was “I don’t know how to put this taktfully”

5 Likes

Yeah I really stuck to 1 shots because of this… although the more recent updates letting you bundle projects as a backup including everything needed (patterns/samples) seems like it alleviates this a bit.

2 Likes

today I learned!

yes!

:peace_symbol:

1 Like