I built/renovated this insane boombox

I guess I have a thing for shoving loads of overkill electronic equipment into novelty boxes.

This time it’s an old boombox from 1986. I found it on the street in 2007, and have kept it ever since. While it was slowly dying at one point it served as a brilliant stereo distortion unit (sample pack of that here: boombox - pCloud).

Here’s what I did to it:

• Gutted it of All internals, replaced with a 100W Bluetooth amplifier and a very beefy battery pack
  • Replaced the old 8W full range drivers with some 50W woofers, a pair of tweeters and a crossover at 4khz on each channel
  • Cut off the top of each speaker enclosure and added a plastic junction box on top to increase the cabinet volume
  • Designed and 3D printed a couple of transmission lines/bass ports, tuned to 45hz, mounted on top
  • connected speakers with (badly) coiled jack cables as they’re detachable

Here are the pics:

I finished it today and its utterly mad. Much louder than expected and the sound is great. Can’t wait to take it out for a road test on the weekend!.. And also I might build another one just for fun.

Update - I made a video:

44 Likes

Don’t forget the cardboard boxes for neighbourhood breakdance competitions :muscle:

Great work man

19 Likes

Super cool! I’ve always wanted to nab a vintage boombox and use to mix in some subtle re-amping for mixing in with “lo-fi” (but really just fuzzed out) hip hop.

Everything i can find locally is stupid expensive for what it is, maybe i can check out eBay.

2 Likes

Power up the bass cannons! This is awesome, man I love recycled/upcycled equipment.

2 Likes

Since I’ve been thinking about doing another one I did peruse ebay a bit and there are loads on there.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah agreed - I’m all about repairing and upgrading things.

1 Like

:eyes: That’s totally wild. I had one of them!
Will you come round to mine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: route thru my tat?

1 Like

Have you seen this for inspo

https://images.app.goo.gl/dyG972bjoQFBQv416

2 Likes

3 Likes

Haha that’s a beaut! Also, don’t tempt me with your tat. I’m very susceptible to tat.

1 Like

I love this so much. I am inspired. I think it’s time for some sort of boombox project.

2 Likes

I’ve got Kid Acne saying “louder than the fucker on the cover of “Duck Rock”” stuck in my head now. You’ve made a thing of beauty there!

3 Likes

The best part? AutoReverse!!!

:wink:

7 Likes

Brixton briefcases FTW! :wink:

3 Likes

Sweet on so many levels, kudos!

1 Like

I might have to get my crew back together, see if they’ve still got their grey and maroon nylon hooded jackets so we can practice a few windmills :grinning: those were the good old days

2 Likes

You make some cool stuff man. Love it when people do crazy things like this. Have you seen the fishure price? Kinda want to make one

1 Like

Justdoit.gif

Cheers mate! And I hadn’t seen that until now - bloody genius. I’ll wait for my kid to grow out of her one and then I’ll commandeer it.

1 Like

Here’s a little video I did recently to accompany an interview that’s going up on Blokas Labs’ website soon, breaking down the build in some more detail:

4 Likes

This thing is smart. You should get some impulse responses out of it! Maybe even get someone to create a VST version of it for those of us who would like to re-amp their sounds. :smiley:

1 Like