Resampling thread

I was the same way. Though, I’m still at a loss of picking out sampling material. You have any insight for me? I’ve got the OT and I’m wanting one of those new MPCs, but I don’t have enough to feel them

1 Like

A lot of the music I’m making with the OT right now is using very simple source material for samples, for example Trying to repurpose the overused sounds of old drum machines. And then mixed that with some snippets from full pieces of music that sound interesting, like from avant garde audio from ubuweb, or downloaded from freesound. The complexity comes from making patterns out of these simple sounds and adding fx, using crossfader, and then resampling the master track, and then playing that back from a flex track all jumbled up.

So I guess you can use any sound you find satisfying or inspiring. Though I would also like to rip a load of really naff big-room tech-house tunes from YouTube and see can they be made into something better…! Just a kick here, a stab there…

1 Like

Try making some tracks using just the OT by sampling your other gear into it, or stuff from your music collection or from youtube, working with the eight track limitation. Make destructive decisions along the way, such as choosing to resample several tracks into one. Ignore the source tracks at this point and repurpose the resampled track… treat it as something you sampled off a record… you wouldn’t want to leave it as is, so chop that up, add effects, p-locks, and go nuts with it. Maybe even resample those results for further destruction.

An obvious approach when resampling is to group things like drums or melodic parts together, but experiment with sampling different parts together, since you can get some interesting patterns when chopping up those combined samples. I try to get around the static nature of a sampled loop by recording several passes through to capture as much modulation as I can. This also allows for several different sounding slices of the same section of a pattern, which can be fun to work with.

I think by doing everything in the OT for a few tracks, by sampling every component into it to create your track, you will get more into the sampling mindset, which will help you decide what you’d like to sample as you become more familiar. It’s a different approach to musical expression so it requires its own practice and dedication, but I find it greatly complements existing skills and is worth the effort.

I don’t do it as much as I used to, but it can be a lot of fun to set aside a morning to go through youtube or DVDs or my music collection and doing nothing but sample. With something like the OT it gets hard to resist the temptation to start jamming. :smiley:

The album I have found to be most inspiring when it comes to sampling, for nearly a decade now, is Panda Bear’s Person Pitch, which he made entirely with a couple Boss SP-303s. I started producing electronic music with a SP-404, and the OT is a godsend for that kind of workflow in comparison (which is probably why Panda Bear uses OTs now). What I like about Person Pitch is how there is no programming involved… all the melodies and rhythms come from the sampled loops. I don’t think I have ever made a track like that since I usually utilize live instrumentation and drum machines, but anytime I listen to the album I get the urge to do more sample based stuff.

Anyway, hopefully there was something useful there beyond caffeine-induced ramblings. Just sample everything, have fun, and the OT will take you to some incredible places :slight_smile:

16 Likes

I like how everyone uses the OT differently. My OT only has two samples loaded on it for the past 2 1/2 years. One of Alan Watts talking about Sadhana, and one of Prince saying "Don’t hate me cause I’m beautiful":wink:. It’s all set up for sampling external gear and getting crazy with it… Ever time I turn it on I have to play stuff into it to get something happening. Just recently I added two samples of a friend of mine singing Native American prayer chants, so now I’m up to four samples loaded almost 3 years in…:wink:

11 Likes

I bought mine second hand, the guy I got it from had five samples in it, each one a variation of someone shouting “COCAIIIINE”

Each to their own of course

18 Likes

Yin Yang sample packs…

3 Likes

Love this instrument.

I like taking a part - often harmonic components - resampling to a new track and putting the Retrig at INF and playing with/LFOing the rate and bringing it back by volume or reverb (bless the Dark Reverbs soul). It fills out the mix while remaining musically true to it.

3 Likes

Still very confused on how to record, say, T1-6 into T8 as a single sample. How do I set a track to record the internal sound and bounce everything to one track as a single loop?

Thanks!
P

Take a look at the sample option that’s enabled by having the midi button be red. The third recorder let’s you select the tracks including 8 if it’s your master, or the output of the mixer.

1 Like

You could put tracks 1-6 on cue and set the source for sampling on recorder 8 to CUE . Or you could set the source to MAIN and just make sure track 7 is muted when you resample (if you are trying to exclude track 7 from the resampling)

3 Likes

Noob question here but : When you resample using cue, you have to set the cue level for each track the same as main lvl right ? ( if you want the same mix as what you hear )

I’d say yes if you change LVL setting.
If you change AMP PAGE VOL setting, you don’t have to.

I am still trying to figure out how to myself, I just gauged that you do “Track+Midi” but do you hold function as well etc?

I am only 3 days into this machine and its many levels.

Rtfm?

RTM woulda sufficed :wink:

1 Like

[Track+Midi]
Check Recording Setup settings [Fn+REC AB]

2 Likes

I appreciate that Sezare!!

Pardon my abbreviated foul language :scream:

Any way the cue level could be duplicated from main?

I don’t know how. Cue and Main seem independant.