Hydrasynth from ASM

There’s a little M4L controller (still in progress but functional) for the Hydrasynth.

https://maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=6022#14305

1 Like

This is interesting. Some very dark ambient music. The HSD is being used primarily to process the audio from the Soma Laboratory Lyra 8, the source of the drone. There is a Digitakt that is mixed in to, and i think it is used to run the HSD.

This was just streamed live. It runs 40 minutes. The Hydrasynth can be used a lot of different ways.

3 Likes

I’m going to wear out the ribbon controller. But holy shit this machine.

2 Likes

Yeah tonight Im going to set up some routing similar to this with the digitone. Slowly adding pieces of the studio back together after just messing with the Hydrasynth for a week.

Another good performance video from Dominic Au. This was done with both a HSD and a HSK each running self generating patches using LFOs to modulate the arpeggiators – so this is done without using midi sequences. This method is probably similar to what was done with the videos by SeenFromSpace that i posted here earlier. In this the HSK off camera, is running the bass-line, the HSD on camera is doing the melody. There are drums added. The effects used are mainly from the two Hydrasynths.

That’s what you can do if you have two of these.

2 Likes

Another bank of patches!

These are Free from ASM

Download it here:
Roger Austli aka ‘the sun god RA’ Hydrasynth Bank

I’ve played with probably 40 of them so far and i really like them. Some excellent stuff here. One thing i noticed – there are lots of BASS patches in here. And quite a mixture of other things, some nicely animated.

2 Likes

I know there’s been a lot of debate in here about the warmth of the Hydrasynth’s sound. But I have to say, I finally got my hands on the Hydrasynth, and holy moly does this thing ever sound great. Not only that, but it also is so remarkably expressive and performative, thanks to its poly-aftertouch keybed. After a day of all the world’s current stresses, it is such bliss to sit down at this thing and feel it respond to every note I play. What a joy.

16 Likes

Fucking brilliant video! Love the paced “narrative” and intensity buildup/breakdown. And you’re really piquing my interest in the DFAM.

3 Likes

Honestly, I picked up the DFAM to support my local music shop since I knew I wouldn’t be around for a while, but didn’t have particularly high expectations. I’m kind of floored with it. I’ve found myself a few times just turning it on, running it through this signal chain, and letting myself go where it takes me. It’s super limited but also has some great charm to it. And thanks!

1 Like

Today I released a new sound bank for the Hydrasynth. This synth is amazing and sooooo versatile! Just a pity that it’s not multitimbral

6 Likes

Very nice sound bank Astrolab, i’ve listened through several times! I lke the idea of fewer patches that are all better made, and it seems like the macros you have are very versatile as well.

I’ve found the Roger Austli bank are well made with good macro action as well. Hydrasynth users certainly have no dearth of patches – if they’re not making their own.

I’ve been considering the “third” ASM model – the 16 voice bi-timbral one with a keyboard that’s only $2100 in the US, They also have that 16 voice cut down one at $1600 too.

Actually ...

If ASM decided to make their new next-product a bi-timbral one by putting two synths into a one keyboard package; something like the way Novation put two Peaks in a Summit – that would be very nice. Perhaps under two grand. You reading this ASM?

Has anyone put two HSes together? I know you can daisy-chain two together and get 16 voice mono-timbral. I guess it would be best if you could daisy-chain them over USB somehow.

Scratching my head – the next thing to figure out is how to “split the keyboard” to control two HSes bi-timbrally using poly-aftertouch or MPE. I guess you could use local-off and split the midi to be sent back. It would take a little work to do.

2 Likes

I really want the desktop module but it’s out of stock everywhere…

I know. The Hydramonsters are popular little beasts. Glen said that they’re selling really well, beyond expectations. More are on the way.

I ordered mine day one back in September. I still can feel my 3 months waiting, pestering the sales people at the shop i ordered it from.
And now i remember that first day when it arrived, and i try to make every day like that.

Most shops, – at least the ones i know, – don’t charge your credit card until the product is shipped to you. So at least your wait will be COMPLETELY FREE ! Savor it.

It’s,
time,
to,
pre,
or,
der.

New Firmware Version 1.4.0

New Features:

1. When you change SYSTEM SETUP, we now store the Tuning, Scope mode, LED Dim status and TempoLck parameters.

2. Bank change – Many people wanted a way to move to other patch banks quicker. Now if you press and hold SHIFT and turn the big knob, it will jump to the next or previous bank.

3. We have added a new mutant. The new PhazDiff generates the difference of the incoming wave and a version that is inverted and phase shifted. The DEPTH control controls the phase and the Dry/Wet control mixes the original and this new shifted version.

4. The noise generator now has 7 noise types, with Red, Blue, Violet and Grey noise added.

So the big, big news here is at the bottom – #3 and #4 !!!

• A new mutant Phazdiff ! ( Who is not in The Witcher, yet! )
  • New Noise ! Added to White, Pink and Brown – we now also have Red, Blue, Violet and Grey !

#1 is nice, i had posted about this behavior earlier. Having these System Setup parameters persistant makes a lot of sense to me. I’m guessing that not including Local Off with this will be noted by my friend auditorycanvas. But it also says to me that this has been considered and decided against.
A thumbs up from me on this change.

#2 Before holding shift down while turning the Patch Knob would jump 10 patches per click. So you needed to turn the Patch Knob 13 clicks to get to the next bank. I am being strategic with how i arrange patches, and using Favorites too so this hasn’t been a problem. I kinda prefer the jump by ten, but this is fine with me.

There are twenty five bug fixes – i read through them quickly. Not sure if any of these address anything i’ve read about where others are having problems. I’d be interested if anyone here spots something that fixes a problem you’ve experienced.

I haven’t tried any of this yet, haven’t even loaded it, i wanted to write this up first.

I’m really looking forward to trying out Phazdiff and the four new noise types.
I’ll be making Brand New Patches !!!

ADDED: I notice there is a new version of the Midi Implementation Spec. Not sure if that means a change, or a fix to the spec.

ADDED: I see that Flux did a video where he goes through the new noises and Phazdiff.

2 Likes

Awesome stuff! Top feature request for me would be to start up on the last patch you were on when you turned it off, also keep pad mode and scale as you left it.

2 Likes

oh man this isn’t helping… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Thanks for that fattyparts – i want to watch this, i’ll book some time for it later – it’s a hour and twenty minutes long. So there must be some good stuff. I’m sure they talk about the latest firmware. What else?

I ran across another patch release. There is such an incredible range with the HS – you can make some really strange stuff if you want. But that’s not what this new patch collection is about. Push-Pull has release 32 of the very nice sounding patches, called “The Classic Collection”. It’s $10 for these, and i say it’s worth it. Nice playing in the demo too. (The demo is ten minutes long.)

1 Like

I’m a long time listener of BeatPPL, there shows are really great and well worth delving through. there’s a really great one with Simon from Elektron, primarily focused on the Digitone. i only watched half of the AMS one which mainly covered the origin story, going to watch the rest later.

i was just this very morning looking for the Push Pull bank, will listen later!

1 Like

i must say, AMS are one of the coolest synth companies, their interviews always want to make me want to support them!

has anyone updated yet? over on GS people have been complaining a bit about certain bugs, need to make sure first before i go through with it.

1 Like