Hydrasynth from ASM

i’d be interested to hear how you get on. i wouldn’t be suprised if there’s still some latency as every gear has slightly different clock speeds. i highly recommend getting a sync box for absolute rock solid timing.

I have no sync issues with my Digitakt, Circuit, Crave and Ableton Live 10.
Everything is in perfect sync between Digitakt, Crave, Circuit and bunch of VST midi tracks in Ableton.

The only issue is the notorious and well known random first pattern note skip issue on the Digitakt, when using the Digitakt as Clock slave.

Any sync boxes you’ve tried that you’d recommend? Preferably one that portable rather than rack mount.

i recently bought ERM’s midiclock to use as a master sync to my MPC Live and whatever devices i use in conjunction, it’s been rock solid. i’ve yet to try clocking a DAW though, but i’ve heard it works well, however, i would want to try it myself before committing! prior to that, I did had ERMs mulitclock, which worked flawlessly with my DAW. They have a VST plug that generates an audio signal, which you route through your interface and send to the ERM clock-in, so your DAW becomes master clock. it works amazing, but it’s expensive, it also has 4 outputs which you can configure.

this looks like a direct competitor to the Multiclock

1 Like

With all this talk of units with low outputs, I wonder if I’m having the opposite problem. I never have a need to turn the volume past 10 o’clock (i.e. well below 50%), and it’s usually a hair under 9. Balanced cables, direct signal (no computer.) Past that things start clipping.

There’s no noise so I haven’t been bothered by it (even tried turning it up all the way without playing sounds.) I haven’t yet tried the headphones output.

I just ran a “test”.

Master Volume at Max
AmpLevel 128
OSC 1 sine wave SET at 128

Stereo line out balanced cables into stereo input of Tascam Model 24 mixer, unity gain.

One note played I’m recording at -36dbfs
Two notes played I’m recording at -30dbfs
Three notes played in recording at -24dbfs

If I add in OSC 2 & 3…

Glen sent me these specs re output…

The output should not be low, Using the Line level input on the Audiofuse interface and input gain turned all the way down at -15db of gain, the output level on the
Hydrasyth is -18db init, -6db init with VCA at 128.0

Mine at 0 gain was -38db init and -24db with VCA at 128.0. I tried it with -15db gain and it was inaudible.

Ok, after checking things out I feel stupid. Turns out I had gain on the input. Too many cables, not enough colours. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still hot overall but sometimes you just want a triangle sub.

I think a few of you have a dud unit. I have had no issues with volume levels, I’ve not had to turn it up past halfway to get a nice loud signal. I also managed to sync it up to digitakt as master clock with no issues at all. Arp starts when I press play on Takt with no drift at all.

2 Likes

If this is true, and what has been described is true, ASM has a problem that will grow and resurface coming back to bite then in the arse, because there are no “dud” units in their opinion as you describe.

I’m sending MIDI out from my MPC Live and all is well at this point. I boost the output with a little gain from the mixer as I’m sure a high % of other owners are doing as well…

I sent mine back to the shop I got it at, they said it was fine, despite the volume coming way lower than Glen said it should. And I lost $800 in the process.
(at full on Master, and OSC’s and input at unity on my I/O it was -40db when other gear in the same inputs was -12 to -16 at half/three quarter volume. And the Hydra would still clip internally (on some patches) at low Input volume in my DAW )

Extremely unhappy about the whole thing.
Especially when I am really in no position to spend money this stupidly.

1 Like

Must have been a dud unit. I can barely turn mine up past halfway without deafening myself. Which incidentally was the complete opposite of the Deepmind 12D which I sent back last month.

1 Like

Well I was told after a diagnostic that it was not a dud. -$800 (disappointment ensues)

How again was the shipping $800? I keep seeing you bring that number up so I’m just wondering. Or maybe something else added to the cost? I always wonder about cables and interfaces when I hear people talk about these volume issues, most gear I own will blow your drums out if you turn it up past 60 percent or so. Most of it is analogue but a few things are digital like the Digitakt or Peak which both have a MONSTER amount of output. The Peak in particular has so much heat inside that you’ve really got to watch your levels.

I also wonder how people are staging their interface volume control and monitor volume level.

3 Likes

Because I returned it and deemed not faulty I had to pay shipping to me, customs and duty (I’m in Canada ordered from US), shipping back, returned for a Peak, had to pay shipping to me and customs and duty again. I was NOT going to pay that to get the original synth back.

One product in hand. Had I just returned it with no replacement the loss with exchange was too much.

Dunno why you’re taking offence to my shit situation. (That’s the vibe I’m getting as you repeatedly doubt)

I’m one who will use gear based on what it is.
(Song mode :grimacing: ) but when I put the DN in the same holes the Hydra was in and at max,max,max it was too quiet…I didn’t feel good about it.

Alright man no worries, not taking offense, just seen you bring that number up many many many times in this thread… party on and thanks for the explanation!

Off Topic -- Friendly help on getting refund on Canadian customs fees.

Hey phaelam,
I guess you don’t know – the customs fee is refundable on returned online purchases.
You need to contact the CBSA.
Here is a good article that will tell you what to do.

Also ASM is not responsible for customs fees. (Particularly ones on your Peak if that is what you are saying, i can’t tell for sure.)

BTW: Tom Lee Music sells Hydrasynths right there in town.
I’m a Yank but i’ve spent some time north of the border. :smiley_cat: Love it there!
I like buying local when i can.

Cheers

3 Likes

Appreciate that…already in the werks.
But I was missing one doc. I provided an alt, I hope they accept it. Not gonna hold my breath tho.

Thanks.

I can confirm mine is working fine. No issues with volume, arp is syncing pretty tight. One thing I’m finding slightly puzzling is on some of the presets I hear reverb, but there’s nothing turned up on the effects. I’m guessing there’s some complex sound design going on which perhaps creates the illusion of there being verb

1 Like

I get this sort of thing all the time – the whole is always more than the sum of the parts for me. Phantoms in the machine.

For instance i am constantly hearing multi-timbrality, even drum parts, or other things, and voices. I also find it will introduce variation to the sound that i had not expected. All this from the complexity.

What i struggle with is learning how to control this with intent when i create patches – to get to the point where i can envision a sound and then know how to create it. I do a lot of creating things that surprise me and i’m happy with, but wasn’t my first intent. But i am improving with this too. So i wonder where i’ll be in a year or two, of intense work.

That’s the sort of thing that one should expect, when using a musical instrument. I still am making the electronic version of “squeaky violin noises”, though i am getting better.

“Deliberate Practice” – Anders Ericsson

3 Likes