Hydrasynth from ASM

I’m sure you are! Gavthorpe on Instagram. Will sit above my D-50. Only really a choice drum machine and a SID synth left on my wish list. Got a Tasty Chips GR-1 ordered too.

I may have a problem.

Think I initially replied to an Argon8 based comment and it escalated. But yeah, excited.

your own.

1 Like

:joy:

1 Like

How is this even slightly related to Hydrasynth?

1 Like

I pre-ordered a desktop Hydra using Perfect Circuit’s BF/CM discount code.

I, too, went through the Argon8/Hydra debate, but I found myself having the opposite reaction to what the recent gist of this thread seems to be (and again, all of this is based off demos): Argon8 didn’t do it for me as much as the Hydrasynth did, and I find the control layout of the Argon8 is a little counterintuitive from a distance. Everything for the Hydra, on the other hand, seemed very intuitive to me… from a distance as well. Although I will definitely try to nail an epiano sound as good as the one they use in all the Argon8 demos as soon as I have the Hydra in hand, because I can totally see why they keep using that preset in all of the demos.

I’m still considering an Argon8–I like playing keys poorly but I couldn’t justify the 500 bucks to do so, and I just knew the ribbon controller was a very cool feature that I would use twice and then never think about–so I may get a chance to A/B things. (And, as Greek mythology goes, I much prefer the Argonauts to the Hydra–this is the debate everyone seems to be ignoring.)

6 Likes

Oh yeah without a doubt the hydra UI looks a distance more user friendly, no question. And yes I agree, that piano sound is wonderful.

It occurs to me that an alternative to the Hydrasynth Keyboard, might be the Hydrasynth Desktop combined with the new Expressive E Osmose Keyboard.

I see that the Osmose will do Poly-aftertouch in addition to MPE, so you should be able to play the Hydrasynth Desktop with the Osmose. That would mean no ribbon controller though.

1 Like

You could always add on a Doepfer ribbon controller - which also has aftertouch.

1 Like

Good idea smokyfrog. There’s a Kurzweil ribbon controller too, though not sure about interfacing.

I put a Doepfer ribbon together with one of those CME poly aftertouch keyboards some years ago. It’s a really nice combination actually - but I’m starting to dare dream that 2020 will be the year when expressive synths are suddenly everywhere. Exciting times!

1 Like

why do all that :confused: just to do what the keyboard version does already, and it werks?!

You just introduce wires, probably take up more space and possible conflicts/connection issues in setup…

:confused: :confused: :confused:

1 Like

…and considering the Osmose alone, even with current discount, costs the same as a Hydra Keys

It occurred to me because i bought (pre-ordered) both keyboards – and i’d save $500 and some space by switching to the Hydrasynth Desktop. But i’m sticking with the two keyboards.
The velocity sensitive aftertouch pads on the Desktop look interesting just the same.

2 Likes

Two new videos by Daniel Troberg (thanks to HardSync):

2 Likes

From this spot of video #2 above.
"You can clock an analog sequencer and bring the CV, for instance the two CV outputs back from that sequencer into here (indicating the two CV inputs to the Hydra) and then in the mod-matrix use that as sources to control pretty much any parameter within the synthesis section." He adds to that, “Or you can also reach the arpeggiator as destination within the mod-matrix. So you can have CV coming in controlling different aspects of the arpeggiator.”

This sparks some ideas for me. I’m interested to hear others’ ideas about this.

What sorts of things would you control inside the Hydra with an analog sequencer?
What analog sequencer might you use?
I’m also wondering about syncing with the Hydrasynth’s internal clock of stuff inside the Hydrasynth with stuff in the Hydrasynth controlled from an external analog sequencer? I’m thinking of the Step LFO in particular.

I see Perfect Circuit has the full size Hydrasynth in stock now. Has anyone received theirs yet? Just wondering how some first impressions are. I don’t have room for the full-size at the moment, but I may grab the desktop version at some point.

1 Like

My desktop was shipped yesterday; scheduled to arrive on Thursday. I’ll be sure to offer some early impressions and maybe a more substantive review after I’ve had it a little while.

Any questions/concerns/curiosities in particular?

3 Likes

Soundwise, wondering if it can do some real lush sounds, and warm pads. In a lot of the demos, the sounds seem have an edge to them, which is good, but I am wondering if it can go the other way and get warm and gooey. And any loose thoughts on the filters in general. Physically, wondering how the touch pads feel when playing notes/chords, and jamming around on it. And just any general user interface thoughts. Thanks.

3 Likes

I’m a sucker for analog string pads, so that will probably be one of the first places I go. I know there’s a “drift”-style control; I’m definitely curious to see how effective that is in giving it some detuned thickening.

Although I definitely plan on using an external controller, too, if those pads aren’t pleasant enough to use, my review might be very, very brief, as I pack it up for a return.

1 Like