Hydrasynth from ASM

I had the Rev2 and HSK together, and that was absolutely perfect sonically. However, I didn’t have the space any longer, and had to reduce to a single keyboard. I kept the HSK. I actually liked the feel of the keybed on the Rev2 better, but poly AT won there. As far as sound, the HSK seemed to be able to do the analog thing very respectably, then added so much more to the mix. I ended up begrudgingly selling the Rev2. I do plan to get another Prophet again when I have the space though. I had to consolidate my synth-building space with my studio space. I foresee being able to expand those back out in the nearish future though.

2 Likes

That really is a lot about what you want isn’t it?

You know most of the differences already, so you can consider poly-aftertouch, ribbon, etc. At least for me i seriously underestimated the value of poly-aftertouch.

What you may not be aware of is the HS doing FM. It’s a very different beast with FM so you can’t really do a head to head comparison.

Read my post over here on HS FM:

1 Like

Hehe yes, i do, sometimes :slight_smile:

Why Digitone? Bc what else is there in hw world that could be interesting to me? :slight_smile:

Everything around HS is great but still need to hear more of its sounds or music made with it to decide for sure. I wouldn’t be here or even talk about it if I already haven’t 80% decided to buy it.

The OB-6 is the P6’s hot nasty cousin.

1 Like

Still not nasty/crazy enough :ghost:

= If it only could sound half as crazy as Lyra 8 plus doing it own usual thing id buy it without hesitation!

I notice the bio of Chen Jiejun is no longer on the ASM About page.

Glen is now the CEO so there’s prolly been some restructuring. I hope it doesn’t mean that the development on the hydra is done, I’d like to see a bunch of minor improvements. Anyway, congrats to Darcy :facepunch:

3 Likes

Good eyes ChrisG !

If you click through Darcey’s bio it shows ( at least for now ) his old title: VP Product Development.

Fanny Cheng’s old title was President, now it’s Executive Chairman.

ADDED: The announcement of Glen’s promotion was put on the ASM Facebook page on September 2nd, so very recent.

One feature I’d love to see is this split keyboard function the Sequential Take 5 has, to drop the lower octaves even lower, while retaining the key bed’s top half high octaves. I have made some pad patches that really sing when they can be split up a bit further.

4 Likes

So before going to Superbooth ASM will be at Knobcon in Chicago, September 10-12 ( Friday to Sunday ).

Being that close to SB it’s possible that announcements, if there are any to make, will occur at Knobcon.

Of course there may not be an announcement at either show.

1 Like

Are there any good „nasty“, „aggressive“ edm / dubstep wavetable bass examples from Hydra available online?

Hope to see a new product launch at upcoming synth events.

Another feature I would really love is if the Chord memory sent MIDI note output. Would be a great keybed for modules that don’t have chord memory, like the Nord A1R.

1 Like

I’d rather see them expanding the Hydrasynth through firmware updates :grin:

Or maybe an ASM Wave Morphing Drum Machine would definitely be cool

1 Like

We’ll get both ( a new product and HS firmware updates ) eventually.

I recall it being officially said there was not a lot of room left for new HS firmware stuff. But i think that was said before microtuning so we shall see.

There is that keytrack bug too.

I like AdamJay’s two recent suggestions for improvements. This forum has its share of “feature request” threads, and the HS doesn’t have one so far.

1 Like

I’ve been directed to send these feature requests to support@ashunsoundmachines.com , and have done so. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’d love it if I could keyboard/pad-split on a per Osc basis for faux multitimbrality. With how complex and modulatable Osc’s 1 and 2 are, you can already get a decent version of combi style patches, doesn’t seem to far fetched to take it a step further.

Also wish it had a Serum style Direct Out that allowed you to dodge the filter and fx sections entirely, at least for Osc 3. Lots of scenarios where I’m finding myself reaching for another synth to fill out the bottom of my patches because my fx selections are muddying/destroying what I’d like to be a clean sub

Last thing I want is for the modulation/macro depth to treat wavescans the same regardless of whether I have 2 wavetables selected, or 8. Kind of annoying that it treats blank spaces as if they’re the last WT in the list. I find it pretty finicky to find the perfect depth that doesn’t end up just pausing on the last selected table before the lfo passes back through

The good thing is, I’m a year into owning this beast and I’m still learning something new every time I fire it up. If any of my wishlist are actually possible with the current config I’d love to hear from some of the other HS users in here

5 Likes

Absolutely. Me too, and i don’t think this will let up. I learn stuff just reading what others write, like what you write about wavetable size and modulating the wavetable position. I’ll need to go experiment with this.

1 Like

It’s a really fun synth to just start from INIT with, since there are numerous modulation possibilities. So many of my own patches are only using a single oscillator, but FX and waveform are heavily modulated.

So yea, being able to split the board in two as a faux bitimbral would be huge.

I’ve tried a bunch of things to no avail. For my test scenario, I want to slowly morph between a sine and square (easy to hear and visualize on the LCD).

If you put a sine on 1 and square on 2, WS is complete when passing from 1>2, and it says on the square through the rest of the turn (3-8). I’d like this option to simply treat the empty spots as “Off” and ignore them. Wavescan knob’s full range morphs between the two wavetables

If you repeat, but put the square on 8 instead of 2, you get the same result (morph completes 1>2, then hangs on the square 3-8). Maybe this is the better potential solution for a full knob morph between two, then you could use the above scenario when you actually want a plateaued style 1>2-8 morph

If you put sine on 1-4 and square on 5-8, you get Sine 1-4, morphing 4.1-5, and square 5-8 (this behavior make sense, but gotta be thorough when you’re chasing results)

I know the obvious way to make this work is simply to use a mod depth of 16 for a single value transition, but it always takes me a minute to remember when I’m patch building, and that step outside of creating sometimes takes me out of the flow (also, 16*7=112 just refuses to stay in my head if I’m morphing between 7 waves)

2 Likes