Hydrasynth from ASM

Drive and osc bit reduction ! :+1:

Thanks for the replies ya’ll! Reallyyy considering pulling the trigger, but definitely going to wait until after NAMM, to see what’s good.

I’m particularly interested in this thing’s ability to cycle through waves using the different voices and LFOs. I do a quick and dirty version of this on Digitakt with single cycle waveforms and the LFO, but it seems like I could really explore this idea more with Hydrasynth.

You mean on a wave table, right ?

First be aware the waves are only the 219 single cycle waves built onto the HS. You can’t scan your own single cycle waves, though you do have a wide range of choices. Not everyone is aware of this up front.

There are two ways to select these single cycle waves.

One is making a wavescan table with your choice of 8 waves, and scanning across these. This is nice in that it morphs between each of these waves in the table as you scan. This method can only be used with oscillators 1 & 2.

The other is with the oscillator in Single Mode, where you can scan through any of all the 219 wave forms, though in this mode the HS does not morph between waves, but instead switches between these waves. This way does give access to all 219 waves without modifying wavetables on the fly. This method can be used with any oscillator, 1, 2 & 3.

You can have all three oscillators switching simultaneously, each with It’s own separate modulation control and method, and each with its own changing dynamics and position in the stereo space, plus much more. ( OK, the patch is getting more complicated, but you can also use things very simply too. )

Between these two approaches you can achieve many interesting results.

3 Likes

I got a desktop and immediately regretted not having the ribbon controller when I saw it used in a video. Definitely a “fun to have” but not a dealbreaker. sniffle :sleepy:

2 Likes

I got a HS desktop today and I just love how this thing can growl and spit! :laughing:

You could get a Doepfer ribbon controller and plug it into a mod input:

Alternatively it could be possible to DIY a simple ribbon and connect it to the expression pedal input. I don’t know exactly how to do it but I’m not expecting it to be that hard since an expression pedal is just a variable resistor (pot). Unfortunately I couldn’t find anything ready made like this - looks like a gap in the market if you ask me.

Obviously it’s not the same as the keyboard as you lose theremin mode and probably other features but it might still be fun.

3 Likes

Good thought. This question came up before.

I posted about it over three years back. I am not sure i was making any sense back then. Follow the posts after this as well.

There must be a ribbon with MIDI output. though i didn’t immediately find one via Google.

I have a Kurzweil ExpressionMate in a box somewhere, which is this weird multifunction MIDI controller, from another century, with a ribbon that output MIDI.

Would CV to MIDI with an analog ribbon work ?

Not much help, im afraid.

Take a look at the ZORX ribbons. You could see if crispy did something.

1 Like

Finally got around to doing the update. I was snowed in for about a week and I had been putting it off because it involved updating the os on my computer first (which I hate doing). I know everyone else here has already done this (months ago) but I’m really happy with the result. I would have been happy even if it had just been the expanded memory slots as I find it a big workflow advantage.
The longer I own this synth the more I like it. It has the opposite of the honeymoon effect. After a couple of years there are very few things I wish were different. Waterfall keys instead of diving board maybe but that’s an uncommon personal preference. Bi-timbral and more keys? Maybe someday I’ll upgrade to a deluxe.
Nothing important to report, I just wanted to gush about this thing as it’s become one of my favorites.

9 Likes

I didn’t even consider this, thanks for the info! I forgot about those little dodads

1 Like

4 Hydrasynth recordings randomly played with OT…

17 Likes

This is great.

Not sure I understand how you made it. Are you saying these are sampled loops that are playing randomy on the octatrack?

1 Like

Thanks ! I recorded 4 patches (+“Live Thru” Lemondrop and Blackhole pedal reverb, hence noisy recording) in Octactrack, then played them randomly with rdm lfo on start.
Played at 30 bpm, I didn’t sync anything, didn’t use timestretch. Unexpected results, not my favorite parts in this one. I should select some slices maybe.
On an OT scene I selected specific start points.

OG recordings :

10 Likes

Listening to this in a crowded U8 from Kotti going north in Berlin.
Perfect soundtrack.
Thank you for posting :pray:

2 Likes

magnificent and inventive can you explain the first example, the stamp comes from hydra? I suppose and so I hear a magnificent patch here :wink: can you explain this patch to your good French friend? or better share it ;)))? as always it’s informative and inspiring thank you!

1 Like

Translation of timbre ?

This one ?

All recordings are Hydrasynth patch thru Lemondrop and Blackhole.

Main recipe :
OSC 1 : SINE ?
MUTANT 1 = FM from OSC2
OSC 2 : wavescan of Harmonics waveforms (last ones), only octaves and fiths…
Will give more details if necessary in front of HS ?

5 Likes

it’s a bad translation of ‘‘timber’’, he translated ‘‘stamp’’ into French ‘‘timbre’’ :wink: I hear a lot of expressiveness in this patch, is it modulation on the velocity, aftertouch etc or with the lfo, I like this velvety passage towards harmonic, like a wind instrument.

A macro for OSC2 wavescan essentially, played live. Definitely inspired by traverse flute, slow attack, noise.

1 Like

I like it a lot, I’m going to look at this approach with velocity and aftertouch, I put sometimes seaboard on hydra for this type of sound, I also find that it sometimes enters into the territories of osmosis (in your example it gives the impression of a synthesis type feedback etc very organic, it looks like the distortion in the feedback delay etc) it’s great in any case!

1 Like

ASM will be at Synth East - Norwich coming up in less than two weeks. Feb 23-25

ADDED : Thread

It’s a small show but big if you live nearby. A little surprising that ASM is there at all, the show is so small.
Not expecting anything new,

But Korg is at the same show, and so lots very newish there.

And for both – you never know.

->> Tickets are in short supply. <<-

7 Likes

Man I just picked up a Hydrasynth explorer and holy shit boys this little thing is an absolute monster of a synth, I literally can’t remember the last time I was this happy with a synth purchase other than modular, I think my virus TI polar is going to be collecting dust for a while.
I have to give props to ASM for finally figuring out the solution to non-knob laden synths. The signal flow method is brilliant. I actually enjoy programming it and I’m able to explore ideas without getting hung up on menus or button combos etc also every single synth should have a dedicated Init. button what a glorious thing to have right on the front panel. It feels like a synth that was designed by people who actually love synths who expect their customers to want to actually program their synths which I very much appreciate.
I really can’t say enough good things about the hydrasynth I am throughly enjoying it spending hours getting lost in making sounds which is what it’s all about. I was considering upgrading to the four octave hydrasynth so I could enjoy that sweet ribbon controller and have tactile mod and pitch wheels (and also four more control knobs) but I’m actually really enjoying the form factor of the explorer, taking it out of the studio and into the living room or in bed or wherever with a pair of headphones has been a lot of fun, having something this powerful that sounds this good in this size of a board is incredible.

13 Likes

Agree on all points. I love getting lost in the Hydrasynth and the Explorer in particular is such a great device.

When my power went out a couple weeks ago, I remembered that the Explorer could run on batteries and was ecstatic. Great way to pass some time with no lights or internet.

5 Likes