Hydrasynth from ASM - Tips, Tricks and Queries

but some synths only take NRPN for certain settings.

Looks like I’ll get a desktop one soon and I’ll put it through my usual new synth routine: build a whole song with it. Lots of sampling into the Force will be involved to create drum kits.
How does it fare a short drum sounds?
My gut feeling is that this should be good, but I haven’t heard a single drum sound from it on YouTube just pads mostly.

How does it fare a short drum sounds?
My gut feeling is that this should be good, but I haven’t heard a single drum sound from it on YouTube just pads mostly.

I think that there aren’t vids to show it because it’s so good at long form, multi-modulated evolving sounds, but I think that there probably should be. HS is actually a percussion monster!
5 envelopes with adjustable slopes, plus the 5 LFO’s set to one shot give you a tonne of shaping options, plus being able to FM the hell out of OSC’s 1 and 2 and multiple noise types provides a lot of base tone options.

3 Likes
7 Likes

That’s quite cool and no idea how they’ve done it. I guess I’ll find out…

Modulation to burn.

Still this is a clever patch. (I think this was done without the arpeggiator.)

its on the Hydra FB page in FILES. poke around learn what he did.
Im gonna check it out. that was pretty cool!

1 Like

Speaking of tips & tricks. What’s the trick to saving Pad state on the desktop model? I’m following the instructions in the manual (pg24 IIRC) to save the custom default pad setup and yet I get 1 power cycle max before it reverts to booting in chromatic again.

Something is breaking that save, but the only thing I ever really do with the system setup stuff is I have to turn off local every time I turn the unit on but that shouldn’t be breaking the saved pad state. Frustrating.

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to having a synth with looping, time synced envelopes…

Mine saves the default patch portion, but dumps the pad state eventually (similar to you, maybe 1 or 2 power cycles). Such a strange bug

Yeah, something is breaking that save-state. I sent a support request last December and was told it was a known bug, and then I was told it was fixed in 1.5.3. Still broken on 1.5.3, and 1.5.4, and so filed another support request a few days ago, but have not heard back. I asked Glen D. about it on Twitter and he was unaware of it and referred me to ASM support. Fair enough. I hope they can sort it out soon.

1 Like

Could I use the cv inputs on the ASM to run my guitar through it?

edited for stupity

This is not correct. You can route them through the Ring Mod clean.

You’ll need to feed the HS audio level signals, not instrument level. I guess you already knew this though.

1 Like

Weird

:+1:t6::+1:t6::+1:t6:

Of course if you wanted to Ring Mod an external input and then FX process it on the HS you can do that too, the signal doesn’t have to come in clean. Pan Delay might be nice to use on a guitar.

ADDED: You can even Ring Mod an input with an external signal from the other CV input, if you’d like. Both CV inputs are audio frequency inputs.

2 Likes

I’ve only had it for a few hours, loving the sound so far, no matter what you do, the moment you add a hint of reverb it sounds great and the aftertouch makes it incredibly playable. Just made a lo end destroyer bass…

2 Likes

Was thinking about using guitar input with the HS.

Using the Expression Pedal input, and then adding in some MIDI pedals to that too (i have a few), all connected through the ModMatrix, and you could create a virtual pedal board, and then change that around by selecting a new patch.

Wah-wah with a Threeler filter anyone ?
What would wah-wah sound like with a vocal formant filter ?

ADDED: Another place you can use the two CV inputs at audio-rate frequencies is as inputs to the four linear FM mutants. There are many ways to apply this, for instance apply the CV input to one of the FM mutants, and then apply that FM mutant to another FM mutant. (The FM mutant can also take input from the RingMod.)
Sources for the linear FM Mutants:
Sine, Triangle, Osc 1-3, Ring Mod, Noise, Mutant 1-4, Mod In 1, Mod In 2

Not sure what this would be like with a guitar input !

2 Likes

Would love to hear this in action!

I’m trying to understand the FM mutants on the Hydrasynth…

My understanding is that the HS can be considered a 2 carrier fm engine, with each carrier up to 2 modulators. But it is not as simple as each mutant (Modulator) can be modulated by any other modulator.

Is this close to the truth?

(Also, I realised I’m doing mostly ‘showcase’ patches that will never fit in any mix, I need to learn to dial down things a bit…)