Hydrasynth from ASM - Tips, Tricks and Queries

thx for the answer. yes, the knob movements are recorded, only the notes aren’t
notes are recorded with usb midi ( to Daw or maschine +) but my sequencer doesn’t have host USB

Hi everyone,
I received my HS (keyboard) yesterday.
I’ve got a few random questions/suggestions if you don’t mind.

1. Am I right to assume that there is no way to automatically/externally trig the next ARP step (when set to “Tap Trig ON”) ? Triggering it with Ribbon taps or with CV in would be awesome.
  2. Quick tapping on the Ribbon doesn’t work. It works ok as a teremin-like voice, but whenever I try to be a bit more nervous (a bit like “tapping” on a guitar) it just misses 80% of the hits.
  3. Related to 2., I’d love to see a mode where the ribbon would be (polyphonic), meaning it would trigger the envelopes (would work well with a “plucking” envelope, the Attack/Release type), and then trigger another voice on the next press.
  4. Don’t EXIT and HOME do the same thing ?? Well at least 98% of the time.
  5. Is there a way to trigger an Envelope externally, or via modulation ?
  6. Don’t you think that it’s a bit tedious, generally, to enter values ? I’m aware of holding SHIFT, but I feel like always missing the value I want, or on contrary that it takes too long to reach a distant value.
  7. Can you remove mod matrix “points” ? I keep creating new ones by mistake. Also, I’d like to avoid creating the same “point” twice. When I hit the key combo (hold source and push destination), if it’s already here, I’d like to focus on it instead of creating a duplicate.
  8. Assign Mono AfterTouch to the Arp Rate is buggy. I know it’s tricky, bu it should only speed up (with a positive amount) the rate. It sometimes lower it which I believe should not happen.
1 Like

5- The envelope sub-pages (down arrow or repeated press of envelope button) offer different trig sources for each envelope.

7- in the mod matrix page, hold the Init button and press a mod slot to erase the mod.

My Firmware version was old. Now we’re talking !

1 Like

How do you like it so far? Isn’t it a well thought and really good sounding synth?

It’s too early for me to judge. For now I feel like I’m still quite slow to design sounds. Because, this synth has its own workflow. It’s super super well thought, but I can’t think of any synth with a comparable philosophy.
I bought it thinking that it can do many things that few synths can do, and it seems to be the case.
On this synth I feel like “oh, at last, a synth made for people who know synths well but want to be surprised”.

1 Like

I don’t have a HS yet (I intend to buy the keyboard version within the next couple of months, I just need to sell some stuff to fund it) but I’ve been reading through the threads here to wrap my head around it.
Something I’m wondering about; since the ribbon and keyboard seem to be able to operate with a bit of autonomy from each other, can the ribbon be assigned to control an external synth without the keys also doing so?

1 Like

AFAIK, you need dedicated MIDI channels (one for the Ribbon, one for the Keyboard) for that to happen.

Yes. I figured that would be the case. I guess a better way of putting my question would have been; can the keys and ribbon be assigned different midi channels or do they always have to share one?

That would be nice but I don’t think you can splitt the MIDI channels without an external MIDI processor like the Midihub. There are plenty of ways to send MIDI messages from the HS, especially with 1.5, so you can send any MIDI CC you want via the Mod-Matrix, or the NRPN for the ribbon built-in.

Similarly there is no keyboard split, though I wish there was.

Hmmm the HS can do MPE, which uses separate MIDI channels – think, think, think.

The only synth I owned who had a dedicated MIDI channel for the Keyboard was a Novation K Station.

Cool. Thanks. That gives me some ideas.

You can disable aftertouch on Page 3 of System Setup.

Weird about your Notes tho. Did you fix that?

I have a Hydra and a Pyra and haven’t had any problems. Maybe I can help?

1 Like

I can’t get any Envelopes to trig using Mod In 1. Tried with gate signals, tried with CV. Anyone?

1 Like

Heads up for anyone in the UK thinking about the HS - crazy price on the keyboard today with a code at Bax (I was toying with the idea of getting the desktop but really wanted the keys, this clinched it). Could fall through of course if they don’t get stock or it’s a pricing error or whatever.

1 Like

Thx, actually issue solved with factory reset… I’ll never know where it came from but I think that was just a bug

Hmm… I haven’t tried using CV. I know, for example, envelope 2 doesn’t allow external signals, but you said you couldn’t get any to work.

1 Like

I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

1 Like

These are very helpful :

10 Likes

For me, after reading the manual and watching heaps of the Hydrasynth tutorials on You Tube… these vids are ‘next level’ in terms of putting all the ‘knowing how to use it’ to use.

1 Like