Hydrasynth from ASM

I don’t have it in me to deface gear :slight_smile:
And it should be an option :wink:

I said removable tape over the button label, not a hammer :joy:

1 Like

…can’t do it. Too sloppy lookin’ :wink:

The manual says this about the MIDI Thru DIN connector:
• MIDI Thru passes the data that arrives at the physical MIDI In jack to another MIDI device.

There’s a very good reason to not transmit USB MIDI on to DIN MIDI. You’d could easily swamp it.
USB 2.0 is potentially over 15,000 times faster than DIN MIDI (480,000 Kbits/sec vs 31.25 Kbits/sec). Sure there is potentially other data on a shared USB connection, and there is a small amount of overhead, but it’s still fire hose vs garden hose.

(NOTE – a little off-topic: Despite USB’s speed it is still susceptible to latency and jitter beyond what those data rates would indicate. It’s a common misunderstanding that data rate and latency correspond one to one. They don’t !)

So i think your observation of USB MIDI not being passed to DIN MIDI THRU is a feature, it makes total sense for it to be this way. It’s what i’d want to happen.
There are other ways to move MIDI around other than using a HS’s MIDI THRU. (I understand the reason for MIDI THRU, but i don’t think i’ve used it in forever – it’s more a legacy thing to me.)

As to ARPs not being transmitted over MIDI – it works for me, but i’ve only looked at the USB MIDI out though. (I don’t have internet where my HSK is, so it will take a day or so to see if i can diagnose your issue.) In fact the HSK generates some pretty amazing MIDI sometimes – it’s good to be recording it.

I don’t know if this is relevant to your question but the manual says this about Chords:
• The chord is not transmitted over USB or MIDI. A slaved device will only receive the played note.

phaelam (off-topic) --

The whole world (except me and auditorycanvas) has conspired to get YOU.

My absolute favorite keyboard, a nearly fifteen year old Yamaha digital piano, has this annoyingly large two digit tempo number, bright enough to read by. I have a very special piece of cardboard cut from my favorite raisin box, that works wonders keeping that tempo display covered. Not to waste anything i use the rest of the raisin box to make a tool to clean the keybed – and because of that the keyboard amazingly still works perfectly.

2 Likes

On MPC Live you can disable Tap Tempo light…a sampler…drum machine.

Just sayin’

Interesting about passing midi through from usb midi to Din. It works well on the Argon8.

Wonder why I can’t transmit arp notes. Sending midi is working for me, just not the arp.

this is all making me so excited to order mine next week…
(gotta wait for one more paycheck and i hit “order”)

2 Likes

Mine has been returned.
I took a bath on it. Lost approx $800 Canadian on shipping and customs.
$800 for a three week rental basically.

I could have gotten a summit at this point. :frowning:

1 Like

Another Sonic Talk #605. Three more guests and more discussion of NAMM.

Video to look for: Nick announced that the Fun Friday that comes out tomorrow will feature music done with Radikal Technologies Delta CEP A and the Hydrasynth! Not sure if it is the Keys or Desktop. Hmmm, what will the mix of swarm oscillator with the HS sound like?

Some detail of impressions about the Hydrasynth from the discussion:

BT: “I would call this NAMM the year of the Wavetable Synthesizer.” “… wavetable synthesis is such an old kind of synthesis modality, and people are actually inventing these new kinds of variants of it, that are really interesting. You mention the Hydrasynth. I have to say that an instrument hasn’t blown me away like that in a long, long period of time. That is a remarkable sounding instrument. And I just got mine too …” “It just came, and I’m frickin’ blown away by that thing.”

Chicky Reeves: “And the Hydrasynth, it sounds amazing.”

Support got back to me via Facebook about the Local control setting not being retained on power cycle…

"Hi,

Yes, this is by design. It might seem surprising but Local control being inadvertently turned OFF, generates more product returns than almost any other issue. Many customers will turn it off by accident and then think the unit is broken.

Best regards,

Support"

2 Likes

In an ideal world there would be a dedicated local on/off button but since there isn’t, I’m not sure this dumbing down to accommodate sloppy operation is the best way. Maybe there’s room on the screen for an icon that reminds people the value is set, as people seem to understand little pictures.

1 Like

Last saved patch should be doable though

It is doable but without a battery it means lots and lots of writes to the flash, reducing its lifespan.

I work in UX / product design and I can assure you that they really do not. They don’t read words either, so :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Fair enough. Dumbing down it is then.

The MIDI spec recommends that Local Control should be switchable from the front panel.

It also recommends that instruments should power-up in Local On mode, presumably for the reason stated by ASM:

Yes, this is by design. It might seem surprising but Local control being inadvertently turned OFF, generates more product returns than almost any other issue. Many customers will turn it off by accident and then think the unit is broken.

3 Likes

Back in the days when I used a computer, I made a little Local Off button that sent the appropriate CC to the designated port. Always a way.

2 Likes

That’s not why I returned it. I returned it for low volume output primarily. With master at full, amps full, it would come into my DAW around -40db. Add having to press super hard on the ribbon, mod wheel that didn’t engage for around the first 15 degrees of music, parameters getting stuck across ALL patches (example: reverb would get stuck on, say, patch b5 and remain present on all patches. Only fixable with a power cycle)

Also add, that as the sound gets deeper, it gets quiet. And warm mode not really being much different…

I sent it back for a warranty diagnostic. When that came back as “normal” I was going to lose shipping (all directions) and customs. Which added $800 to the initial price. To get back a unit that to me sounded terrible and didn’t really werk as expected.

The power in patch issue is an issue, but definitely one I would NOT return a synth for.
I think they hydra is super well built, has a sick UI…but to my ear, sounds gutless and it just had no power. I really tried to get on with it. But when I had to add a gain insert and add 25 or more dB to be audible…And pay an extra $800 to get that back…I couldn’t.

1 Like

have you heard of anyone else having this issue, or did you get a bad unit?
suck that was your experience because it seems like such an awesome machine.
curious to learn all i can before i think of pulling the trigger on one.

I have to ad, when it was tested, I was told they A/B-ed it with another Hydra…and mine appeared to be fine.
that was extremely disappointing, cuz as I said, the output was terribly low.
so with that, I was not going to pay to have it shipped back to me again.

disappointing. I really liked the unit it self, not how gutless it was.