Hydrasynth from ASM

Yeah, seems weird for both to go. The note on and aftertouch and all that is still functioning though.

1 Like

Well, I’m sorry to report that my 2-day old Hydra desktop has a major issue: the third LCD just completely went out! As in, was working, then the next minute went completely blank. On every patch, every screen–nada. Turned on and off multiple times, did factory reset, updated firmware, nothing worked. Obviously, totally unusable now, and I’ll have to send it back to the shop for a replacement or refund.

Question: given the issues reported here with the LEDs, is this LCD failure a sign of poor quality control? I like the synth, but I’m very concerned about a sudden failure like this with no warning, and I’m leery about having an instrument that could just fail at any minute.

Am I missing something here–is there some button or setting that controls panel displays that I might have accidentally pressed? I highly doubt it, but I’d prefer this to be a simple explanation…

Can you provide a link to that?

No that is definitely a hardware failure. Two days old may well count as a DOA.

ASM no doubt keeps a database for failures, and uses that sort of data to monitor manufacture and improve process. It’s rotten that this has happened to you hallucigenia. Worse for mas_akala now being outside of warranty.

Not that this helps any, but these are killer for any synth manufacturer. The loss in customer relationships, has got to be the worst consequence, but this is expensive, for any manufacturer, in the cost of replacing defective units, and reworking failed units at the factory too.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, I’m trying to keep it in perspective–hardly the end of the world. But definitely a buzzkill. I just checked and the store doesn’t seem to have any more in stock, and I’m not keen on waiting till who knows when for a replacement, so it looks like a refund and then I’ll reconsider whether to rebuy eventually. ASM definitely did not make a good first impression with me.

1 Like

The Bathtub Curve for Product Failure

This is true for just about all electronic systems. What is different between products and what manufacturers do to improve a products reliability is to move this curve downward, and stretch the time out, while still maintaining reasonable cost levels.

This diagram is more representational, and does not infer product lifespan. For instance the failure mas_akala observed is likely over to the left side at the bottom of the curve.

A manufacturing engineer will break this down further, to analyze separate root causes and work to mitigate these failures.

This comes from GES Repair a company that offers a repair service for companies.

They are brushing on the issue of preventive repairs in this for the later part of a product life cycle. Vintage synth owners take note.

This is pretty basic information that most all EE’s learn.

5 Likes
2 Likes

It solid. Shit happens sometimes, sorry it happened to you. Could be a bad solder or maybe a wire just disconnected. I wouldn’t think that is the norm. First I’ve heard of that.

Again sorry about the bad luck. You’ll get sorted. :+1:t6:

2 Likes

If you’re pretty advanced in your patching techniques, and perhaps feeling like you’ve “done it” check out this video and article from Jacob Johnson of Perfect Circuit.

He’s using a Deluxe in this video but is mostly using techniques that are available on all Hydrasynths. The output audio feedback technique cannot be done with the Explorer.

Note : Jacob is using things here that calls for some in-depth understanding of the Hydrasynth. Unless you are quite familiar with the Hydrasynth already, you’re likely not going to fully understand all of this presentation. He is putting together several things simultaneously for each of these five tricks, and taking the HS off into further unexplored realms. But you can still listen along and enjoy the sounds anyway.

ADDED : There is a link in the article that includes patches, that makes this easier.

The video is nearly a half hour long, but you can DIY just following the text article.

Most of the sounds generated from these five tricks, are prime material for sampling.

8 Likes

Good points and thanks for sharing that. I guess I’m heartened by the fact that others haven’t seen this failure. I guess the Hydra’s been out for a couple of years, and a quick internet search also didn’t turn up other reports of similar issues. Guess it was just my bad luck! First-world problems and all that…

1 Like

I had Hydrasynth and also bought Opsix around the same time. Both synths are fantastic for sound design and the sky’s the limit as far as creative flexibility is concerned.
Unfortunately, I run into several problems with Hydrasynth. Some issues with both hardware and firmware. So Opsix stays and Hydra was sent back. I might get Hydrasynth Explorer as hopefully, all the problems would be ironed out by their next product launch.

I’ve got exactly that. With the same quote. On the EXACT same 2 pads. :thinking:

I was wondering about fixing it myself. Or with the help of a slightly more knowledgeable friend of mine.

Other than the lights, the pads work fine. Not sure it’s actually with the risk but it is slightly annoying.

Anyone replaced LEDs like this? Would it likely be quite straightforward to get the part and replace?

Trying to remember if it happened right after the latest firmware (1.5.4). Do you remember updating right before you noticed it failing?

Mine wasn’t following the update I don’t think.:thinking:

Don’t necessarily presume it is the LEDs. Especially given that it is two separate machines with the same issue. LEDs tend to not burn out, certainly like the old incandescent lights. To have four burn out in this identical pattern, the odds on this are astronomically small.

No there is something else going on. I am only guessing something like a driver chip. Or some other weakness that prevents these LEDs from getting current.

The pads likely work similar to the Push 2 pads. There is a conductive sheet over a grid that shows how hard the pad is pressed. Only a hypothesis, but if that sheet shifted for these two LEDs it might be possible to short out those two LEDs enough so they do not light. This is only a hypothesis, AKA a wild ass guess.

Has ASM support been contacted ? Given that it appears more systemic than random, maybe they have an explanation. If systemic, i would be inclined to suggest this is a manufacturing defect in these two units rather than a use caused problem.

But i am only speculating.

ADDED: Good idea to examine software caused issues. You might think that would be more widespread, but maybe some sort of two factor problem, included with software ?

ADDED: There is an old Marcus Fuller YT video where he tears down a Push 2.

ADDED : Nearly three weeks later. Upon some reflection on this and with experience with electronic product development, this smells like an issue with a weakness of the HSD handling electrostatic discharge ( ESD ) to this small area of the unit. Normally you design a system to harmlessly wick away a static spark to ground. Systems get tested ( zapped ) to avoid these sorts of failures. It is possible there is a small chink in the armor at this one spot on the HSD that allows the static discharge to enter the circuitry, perhaps repeatedly, and zap a specific LED driver part. That could account for two units having the same failure, while it still be a rarely occurring event.

Ugh, this is making me question replacing my defective unit. I’ve just reached out to ASM to let them know about my experience and also these other issues (including the ridiculous repair quotes!), and stressed that as a new player in the field they can’t afford to develop a bad rep. I’ll report back if I hear anything useful. A 1-year warranty for an untested company with designs on the pro market is a bad policy, IMO. They may disagree–I’m sure they’re moving lots of units. But eventually it will catch up with them.

so…apparently ASM doesn’t do warranty, but it will be honored by who you bought it from. ASM handles it thru them. get the shop you bought it from to replace.

After starting the thread on Behringer quality today, it hit me how difficult it is to objectively compare synthesizer reliability. This would be very useful to know, a synth can be a major expense, and yet there is no way for customers to access this kind of data.

Self reported problems can’t be used to calculate a rate of failure, or to compare synths, obviously. Manufacturers have no requirement to report that kind of data, although they certainly have it.

Electronic component manufacturers do release data for their components. Cars and trucks have data available on them. You can get information on the reliability of wash machines and refrigerators. Why not synths ? ( Rhetorical question, no answer expected. )

All electronic and mechanical systems have a non-zero rate of failure. The more complex a system, and the greater its count of components, that correlates statistically with failure. ( This being reduced by redundancy in critical systems. ) But good design and manufacture matters too.

Not really a Hydrasynth specific post here, but still relevant.

4 Likes

One thing I’ll say is that even though we’re forced to rely on anecdotal data, at least with more established manufacturers we have more of that. For example, it’s fairly well-established that DSI/Sequential gear and Elektron gear are prone to specific issues, but also that both companies are pretty good about working with customers to resolve them.

I’m a little put off by ASM’s lack of warranty support AND the 1 year warranty (Elektron does 3, Sequential says they do 1 but Novation does 3 so we’ll see if that changes) given how new they are on the scene. I’ve also heard nothing back from ASM after I reported my issues to them a few days ago. Fortunately I was able to return my defective Hydra with no fuss. If I do buy another at some point, I’ll probably do it with Sweetwater where at least I’ll get their 2-year coverage.

I’m not saying ASM definitely has quality issues–but the reports on this thread combined with their policy has me concerned.

1 Like