Hydrasynth from ASM

The step LFO is an excellent tool for creating wavesequence-like sounds, no question. I don’t use it as I would a normal (separate) sequencer, like say, on the Pro 3, but for doing Wavestate-style sounds, it’s a great tool.

4 Likes

I mostly use the step lfo’s as modulation sequenceres. Works very well for that. I love using it for hard wave changes.

3 Likes

I’ve only recently started messing with the step lfos at all (there’s a lot to mess with in this synth) but so far I’ve found them to excel at sequencing modulation more that notes. Of course they’re perfectly capable of note entry and there are folks who use them that way. For me it’s not a shortcoming on the part of the lfos as much as it is an issue of sequencing the HS in general. The keybed is so well integrated with the synth engine that it feels like I’m not getting everything I could be from it when I try to sequence notes. Neither of the polyphonic sequencers I have (DN and MMT8) compete with the experience of hands on keys, nor do the step lfos used in that way. That’s just me and I would fully expect many people to feel differently as it’s very subjective. My opinion might change as I use them more.

3 Likes

Hello all,

I’m looking at purchasing a Hydrasynth Keys, I was actually wanting a Prophet Rev 2 to accompany my Analog Four mk2 in the studio. However, after hearing numerous demos and seeing near enough every video review on YouTube, I think I would prefer to purchase the versatile and seemingly near-limitless Hydra. I plan to purchase the keyboard version and then if I find I’m wanting more polyphony, add the Desktop to my set-up and chain the two together in the future.

The last remaining bit of info I’m trying to establish? I’ve seen a couple of comments in various forums saying that recording midi automation within DAWs (I’m using Bitwig) using Hydra can be quite steppy? I assume this is because many DAWs don’t yet offer NRPN functionality, however, I’m not entirely sure if this actually is the cause.

So I’m sat here trying to find info on whether recording certain automation for the Hydra will sound ‘steppy’, for example, the Hydra’s Filter Cutoff. Would playback from my DAW result in hearing ‘steppy’ sounding filter cutoff sweeps on the Hydra because Bitwig is returning 7bit midi rather than Hydra’s preferred NRPN? I hear this stepping with some filter models on Arturia’s Pigments and it bugs the hell out of me. For all I know, I could be completely misinformed/confused about the behavior.

Generally, I prefer to program in my automation when writing and arranging music, though if need be, I’m happy to record all my filter sweeps ‘live’ when recording the audio into my DAW.

After reading through this thread, it seems like there are some knowledgeable people here in regards to the HS. If anyone could shed some light on this and enlighten me as to what kind of behavior I could expect when recording Hydra’s automation into a DAW, then that would be amazing.

Apologies if this post was a bit of a jumbled mess!

Thanks!

I don’t really use it for a sequencer-proper, but I do use it quite a bit for rhythmic stuff. It works fine as a pitch sequencer as well, but I haven’t really experimented with gating the sound in sync with it.

I imagine just assigning a synced LFO, or maybe using the arpeggiator might work. I’m not sure if there’s a way to directly trigger an envelope as I haven’t explored the step LFO enough in that context. I tend to use it for cyclic modulation.

It’s definitely a cool tool though.

I use a Digitone MIDI channel to sequence the Hydra in more of a traditional sense, or I just play it.

1 Like

So if a DAW only does 7-bit (128 level) MIDI i/o, it’s kinda built-in that the stair steps are larger. The steps with 7-bits are 128 times the size of a 14-bit step.

But given this is a Hydrasynth there are things that could be done to help. For instance you could assign a Macro that sits between your DAW and the value you want to tweak, and setup a sub-range of values for the output of that Macro. The Macro takes a MIDI CC value in. You won’t be able to sweep a larger range, but perhaps that’s a useful exchange for you. I haven’t tried this to be sure this would work, but i think it will.

So is this more a question about your DAW — Bitwig in this case. I don’t use Bitwig, but a quick search seems to indicate that indeed it lacks an NRPN interface. Perhaps there are answers in a Bitwig thread ?

2 Likes

I could see how it could be good for DFAM style techno sequences.

Thanks everyone, for your thoughts.

1 Like

Thanks, Jukka,

I’ll check your link to the Bitwig thread out and see if there are indeed any answers there!

The Macro workaround could also be an interesting way to approach the issue. I know these are different synths, so the comparison may be null and void, but I don’t encounter any noticeable stepping when automating my Analog Four Mk2 via Bitwig. So I’m hoping that I wouldn’t run into any issues with the Hydra. I’ll keep digging. If I fail in my pursuit of an answer online, I’ll try and find a local dealer here in the UK that has one on demo. I’ll see if I can hook my laptop up to the Hydra and test the midi automation in Bitwig before diving in with a purchase. I’m hoping there won’t be any issues. I’ve got my heart set on a Hydra now, purely for its powerful and deep synthesis capabilities!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

1 Like

The HS takes priority for me choosing a DAW, not the other way round. :grin:

1 Like

I’ve been automating filter from Logic. Sounds good :+1:t6:

To the rest in the thread…I find when I blend between wave shapes it doesn’t blend. I just changes abruptly.

Does it morph/blend…am I doing something wrong?

Haha, I’m so so comfortable with Bitwig and its workflow though, I’m not sure I can stand to leave it. I was considering adding the latest version of Cubase to my arsenal as that’s what I first learnt on, way back in 2006. I’ve used Cubase, Pro-Tools, Logic, Ableton over the years, but, Bitwig has been the one I’ve been most comfortable in, so I’d be reluctant to leave it especially after throwing plenty of money at it over the years.

The Hydra does excite me. So I’m going to have to give this some serious thought.

Hopefully, as @phaelam just chimed in, the automation from Bitwig sounds just as good as it does in Logic! Thanks for your comment @phaelam!

Appreciate the help!

1 Like

I was just pointing out it was fine being automated from DAW. I’ve used Blocks, VCV, Euro, MPC…
I will wager Bitwig is as good as any.

[I could be wrong. I tend to be a lot these days]

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve got Osc set to Single mode perhaps, and are sweeping through waveforms, rather than having the Osc set to WaveScan, and then morphing through the WaveScan values. That’s one way to get abrupt changes if that is what someone wants to do, btw.

Try this, set up an Init patch with Osc 1 set to WaveScan, and then go into the Wavelist Edit and just use the Random button to set each of the eight Waves to some random set. Then when you go back to the Osc 1 screen you can hold a note and turn the WaveScan knob, #5, and see the wave shape morph on the screen, while the values go up and down by tenths. (So you get 10 intermediate morphed values.)

Is there a problem somewhere else perhaps. It should work.

2 Likes

Ya I’ll look. Thanks

[a little while later]

yeeaaaaaaahhhh…that was it. single mode vs scan :man_facepalming:t6:
thanks man.

1 Like

Haha, yeah sorry, I was replying to both you and Jukka in my previous comment!

I definitely appreciate your input!

Thanks!

1 Like

I love this thing…its SO versatile. :heart_eyes:

It really is. I was enamored with it immediately but it will probably be years before I feel like I’ve mastered it.
If I was a gigging synth player in ten bands and could only have one keyboard it would probably be the HS.

3 Likes

Is Hydra guilt a thing?

As in inveterate synth nerd I’m always window shopping and checking reviews… working out what I’d like next and why…

But… Since I got the Hydra I keep looking at other synths I’d previously decided I wanted and thinking “but the Hydra can do that”… or “can I justify spending that when the Hydra can get 90% of the way there” it’s almost like anti-GAS. The latest victim is the Super 6. Now they’re hitting the streets I’m starting to question my commitment to the cause!

Is this just me? :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I believe of something inspires you to do stuff, then it’s not bad to add to the kit. BUT if it’s to make you make better music, that’s not the right line of thinking.

I wanted another synth sound or two to go with Hydra some day. But, I find the Hydra is checking all the boxes for me. Sure there’s stuff out there that could crush it in certain departments, but I’m not good enough to merit that. And I have such a good time with Hydra, I kinda have no gas. Its actually a great feeling, feeling like I’m actually covered for once. Happy with the setup.

If you think something will get you going on tunes, it’s probably good purchase. :+1:t6:
If yer happy where yer at :+1:t6:

3 Likes

Yeah, you’re spot on there. It was a bit of a tongue in cheek post but I agree with you about knowing the Hydra can prob do most of what I need. I’ve have some really inspirational buys over the years; DN still does it for me in that regard. Peak has got some of that going on too. Hydra, for me at least, was different. I was blown away on first contact then mellowed a bit over the UI, then moved away from it for a while… but it’s been a slow burn thing and I, using it more and more where before I might have picked something else.

As good as something like the Super 6 sounds (and the SonicState review really wowed me) I don’t know if would have that same inspirational quality that something like the DN did for me, banging idea out one after another. Hydra is getting there… I was making a traditional 808 kit on it the other day complete with authentic cowbell :sunglasses:

1 Like