Hybrid Workflow: overbridge or main out

Quick Question;

You’re using session view to sketch out an idea. Drums made on the AR (or dt/A4 whatever). You start performing a bit.
Do you record your elektron via OB, multitracked and ready to mix ITB? Or do you mix on the device and record the main outs?

I’ve found the post FX track difficult to use with the DT since it often contains FX from multiple tracks. When cutting away a snare, I still keep the reverb in the FX track next to hi hat delay ie.

With the rytm, i can imagine it’s even more complex due to scenes and performances.

Thoughts?

I multitrack using OB and apply effects in the box, mainly for the reason you mentioned. The only time I utilize the built in reverb/delay is when I’m trying to pull off a trick that’s hard to do without p-locks.

Mixing and EQ is a mixture of both Digitakt and ITB, though I have no idea if that’s best practice.

1 Like

Yeah might be worthwhile to seperate Producing and Jamming:

• Sitting to write a song might be easier via OB; due to mixing and a more structured approach
  • Jamming on the device might be easier via just outs

Main thing is the compressor on the rytm sounds very good and it would be such a shame to bypass that. and with P-lock and slide trigs / performances / scenes it becomes very difficult to not use them :smiley:

Another thing i’ve been considering; using OB and then sending the Grouped tracks back into the Rytm.

I was going to reply that before reading the end of your message.

My best stuff comes when I record tracks individually without time based effects and then arrange and mix in Ableton. I’ve fooled myself into thinking I could record full tracks in one take, but I’ve realised that I liked doing some parts in the box better because I am way faster, more creative and precise that way.

Just take some time to try both methods (like a few months for each method, just to give each a real chance) and decide what works better for you, both in terms of process and result. There should be a period of experimentation to know what works for you, and then a period of focus where you master the process you identified.

The difficulty seems to be knowing where and when to stop that experimentation process :slight_smile:

And yeah, absolutely feel free to experiment sending stuff back to the Rytm, you just made me realize I could do the same with my Digitone’s overdrive!

1 Like

Yeah I come from a Digitakt; where my workfow is basically hybrid. Synths in the DAW; also my hardware synths. Drum pattern running on the DT, record multitrack and copy pasting the Post FX track around. I tend to just mute important segments so I have Post FX parts without the Snare reverb or Hi Hat delays. That works when pasting it around. On the Rytm however, which is brand new, it becomes more complex due to scenes and performances.

1 Like

Just remember that you don’t need to master everything about an Elektron box, you just need to know the basics and then find what works, is interesting and fun for you and hone in on that.

If I tried to master everything about my OT, I would still be practicing instead of having fun.

FO Sheauxxx man I mean the whole reason I’ve started with Elektron and am still using Elektron is the immediacy and fun. HAd the OT for a while and I honestly love the process of figuring small stuff out and hearing cool new things

Curveball.

Ive been running the individual outs into a 1010 Bluebox for EQ.

Then I run the main stereo outs of the Bluebox back into the external inputs on the Rytm. This puts them back through the AR compressor before recording the stereo outs.

You could really do this with any small 8+ channel mixer though.

Nice thing with Bluebox is that you can record the individual tracks too.

1 Like

I’m struggling… Manual says:
If you don’t send to Main Out, you lose the Compressor and Distortion FX.

• Pro: It allows you to use the Post FX track as a Reverb Delay FX track
  • Con: You lose both Distortion and Compressor FX

If you send to Main Out, you can’t really use the multitracking functionality

• Pro: You can run a synth through the hardware compressor / distortion FX
  • Con: You can’t multitrack so you have to play with mutes etc.

Solution:
If you want to record a performance on the Rytm:

• Route to main out and record the Post FX track
    If you want to multitrack so you can arrange
  • Disable Route to main and multitrack, mix the FX in where needed

Am I correct here?

PS. And what in godsname is this? Can’t put it to use or find it in the manual.!
Trying to route my Moog into my AR and I discovered you have 3 options:
Audio in >For sampling
Ext in> for just recording it?
FX in >for sending it through the distortion and compressor.

Took me while; manual is not clear at all on this…

Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 12.30.32|182x123

Anyone?