Huge Studio Worry

Its also easy to forget that they have been doing it for a long time, even if you only bought 1 bit of gear a year after long enough you would have a stacked studio.

Also there was an era where you had to have a whole bunch of gear, it just wasnt possible to do this on a computer. Maybe thats how they got used to working and just prefer to continue that way.

I have a few bits of really nice kit but I am always conscious that right now, other people are making amazing music with a lot less. Enjoy working with what you have now and focus on making amazing music with the time you have.

2 Likes

In order to create good music, it’s better to know your gear inside out. But if you make music 8 hours a day, they are chances that you might master more instrument than would a part-time hobbyist.

1 Like

I love how you phrase this. Words like seem and with what appears give some doubt.

You probably doubt that it is an issue deep down. And that it doesnt matter at all🙂

1 Like

I must say if i had to choose id take Eno in Roxy Music any day. Yes his ambient stuff was original but Roxy Music are kind of my heroes from the 70’s.

1 Like

To be frank, you could achieve the same goal with a laptop only. The key is not gear, it’s time and dedication to your craft.

5 Likes

get off internet and just play with your a4

the sad truth :frowning:

4 Likes

I did this too. I use headphones quite a lot (kids) which go down to 20-25Hz, but my monitors roll off at 50-60Hz. Getting a sub helped bring the two closer. Doesn’t hurt when playing drum n bass records either.

Re: gear I used to have a packed in wall of it. Didn’t understand/use most of it. Now there are just 3 pieces and even then I often just sit on a sofa with Ableton/headphones.

Definitely has cleared the mind a lot.

2 Likes

When I had loads of gear all MIDI’d up and connected to the interface, I couldn’t get it to sound good when it was all playing together. And I couldn’t concentrate long enough to make a track. Since having one drum machine, one synth, a laptop and a controller, I’ve never been more productive.

4 Likes

Gear nerds touching knobs mate - I’m one of em. At best it gives more options, but anyone that’s been stuck in a supermarket trying to decide which packet of crisps to buy knows that more choice isn’t always a good thing.

I’ve been trying to minimise my setup as much as I can - keep it focussed - no one goes on tour with a studio.

This is a good insight and a pretty minimal set-up. I suppose it’s about focus and knowing what you want to do musically, and what gear will help you do that without going around the houses.

Telefon Tel Aviv Tech talk

3 Likes

Beautiful space - that chair looks uncomfortable for long sessions, though!