How to use OT in production of tracks with just 4 outs?

I am pretty sure if you go into the delay settings you can turn off ping pong.

1 Like

yes you can. the reverb is the main candidate for stereo bleed but you can turn it off in the reverb settings.

1 Like

Dunno, I use a Midi interface and in Ableton it is represented as Midi on an instrument track. I also wrote a little M4L thing to have the incoming and putcoming midi visually represented but that is not a necessity.

But if you use an AR, why not just use OB for multitracking and recording??

One more word about this thing. If every multichannel synth would have such a feature things would be way cooler. Someone really thought about this obviously. Good solution!

A lot of cool ideas here, thanks

1 Like

Why turn off the reverb? Why not just pan the reverb to the output you want? The plate, Spring, and dark reverbs all have balance controls (knob B) which means there will be no bleed to the opposing output. You still need to pan that track/sound in the amp page of course.

Thanks for clarifying the obvious. That’s exactly what I meant. There’s a mono/stereo knob in the reverb settings.

1 Like

Ah, I see. :wink:

What method are you using to line up the recorded tracks inside your DAW? Do you have the recorder (Ableton, etc.) send mdi start to the Octatrack and just trust that they are all starting in time? I admit I’ve not tried it yet but would be afraid that over the course of a 4 to 8 minute track the individually recorded (bounced to DAW) tracks might start to drift.

i was surprised to find that from what i have read, the Octatrack is meant to be a virtuosic instrument rather than an emulation of the software samplers that took over the hardware sampler market years ago.

that said, i would imagine resampling is the way forwards to achieve your desire of producing for a later release. combining tracks, ping ponging the master bus to one track, etc…

not a perfect workaround, but still, for a box designed to be an experimental experiential emotionally virtuosic instrument of self expression, pretty nice going all the same.

from what i have heard from others, long tracks will not drift.

i owned an OT for a while, loved it, turned it into an artwork and sold the unit.

keen to return to the fabulous environment of the OT one day.

1 Like

I tried all this stuff, recording tracks separately etc… Now I leave track 8 as the master, get the compressor working and just record to a stereo track. Done and dusted, no worries. My mixes are very sparse though, if you are trying very complicated music you might not like to do it this way.

Yes overcomplicating things very often takes the idea and motivation. however there is nothing worse having a nice loop and noticing that something in it is out of tune and layered.

Just curious how people go about tracking out their arrangements out of the octatrack to mix them itb.
What are the best tricks to do that, I am already using studio mode, but I am open to other ideas.
Thx

Well, setting up a send / return with something like the Heat, and analog compressor, EQ etc can be really good fun. Also using track 8 as a master can give you some overall glue on the mix if you don’t want to run any other gear out of the OT. The filter distortion control can add a bit of grit of that’s your thing too.

Are you trying to get a really hifi sounding mix?

prepare for the first few tracks/songs/attempts to be kind of random in parts.

eventually the workflow becomes second nature, you make it your own…
or it doesn’t, and the unit gets sold.

1 Like

I am just trying something different and wanted to know how people go about it.
I was thinking muting all the tracks but 2 in the arrangement view then doing a few passes to track things out.
The hard panning won’t work for me though cuz I use a lot of stereo effects.

hi alfred, trying today this method. How do you edit in ableton the scene fader and scene changes? Are they visible in a normal midi clip?.. thanks!

Not in front of my computer now, but both the scene fader and the scene changes send and receive Midi. So that’s pretty straight forward. I also patched up a little M4L device to visually reflect the scene fader position, the current scene and the current pattern.

ooops, you are right, it´s normal midi cc´s, thanks alfred!

Did you ever do this? Pretty great idea. Between my OT and MPC I never really use all 8 tracks. Might benefit from 4 beefed up tracks instead. Solves the simultaneous reverb and delay issue aswell. Im gonna make a template and give it a spin for a while

2 Likes