How to use Flex machine for live looping

Yeah, but surprisingly there’s no larsen feedback without microtiming, because the recording is delayed…
I just made some tests, a recorder recording its recording, and you can obtain crazy things with filter self oscillation. It works with or without microtiming, but beware with microtiming !

I thought this was figured out before… And folks said you could use one track?

Just using a different recorder than the track # set in Src3 will resolve the feedback loop, but uses another track…
If your loop you want to overdub onto is track 2, using any other recorder besides recorder 2 won’t create feedback.

A bit late for me, but if you want to overdub, you need the recorder to record its recording, no ?

Not if you use another track that is recording both the loop track and the inputs…

A bit early, but if you want several overdubs… :coffee:

I just overdubbed on a Flex Machine, without micro-timing or feedback.

Duplicated the experiment as well. Here is how I did this.

I created a new project, set tracks 1-4 with flex machines, each Track using its own buffer for playback, regular playback Trig, and 1-shot recorder trig( both on 1st step ), QRec-PL
Recording Options were AB CD Cue *SRC3 also worked with the same track #
*SRC3-Main = doubling of output volume

Steps to reproduce behavior

1- make settings as described
2- record 1st loop (track+yes)
3- Func+Cue to send track to Main out & Cue
||: 4- record overdub (track+yes) :||

I was able to build a track recording and then overdubbing loops from my iPad ear-synced to OT’s metronome using one track.

@Open_Mike - I think SRC3 setting, in this case, Cue is the magic. Works just like you said.

Color me surprised that this didn’t feedback like the first time I attempted this. I set my mind to figure this out since I have several days with little to do… I figured it might take a few days, but I actually got this on the first try. I do not remember what settings I had that fed back, but I had several factors that obviously influenced the machine behavior that are not present in my hotel room, such as OT being slaved to MIDI Clock and live mics being processed with Thru machines, so there’s that.

Now if undo could affect last thing recorded…

2 Likes

No microtiming = no feedback.
+1 microtiming if you want to play realtime your SRC3 recording, but if you want to overdub, feedback.

A undo workaround is to save the recording, assign to self, and reload it if your overdub is bad.
Quite quick.

2 Likes

@sezare56

I’m confused - are you saying that by adjusting the record trig :arrow_right:️ 1 step that you can monitor the overdub in real time without feedback?

I’m using headphones, OT, and iPad:
In my phones I’m hearing the first recorded sample; I don’t hear the overdub until after it’s recorded regardless of headphones M --|-- C setting.

The only way I’ve been able to hear the overdub is by using a Thru machine, either cued or just going to the mains ( which doubles the overdub volume on loop restart)

No, you have to choose between +1/384 microtiming for realtime and 0 for overdub, unless you want feedback.
It is internal feedback, so it can happen with monitors or headphones. It can be interesting with overdrive and filters, self oscillation…

I’ll experiment more with this in the coming week.
I was unable to generate feedback or realtime monitoring this morning with or without micro-timing.

Playing with feedback and the effects should generate some really interesting drones! I used to do this with Logic, so I’m familiar with internal feedback processing. Cross fader & scenes will take that to a whole new thing.
Thanks for the tip

2 Likes

-Alright, I’ve successfully overdubbed on one flex track without using the microtiming nudge and it works but as expected it plays after a pattern cycle…

-Confirmed introducing the micro timing nudge to hear in real time introduces the feedback loop…

-Have successfully overdubbed using two tracks with the micro timing nudge for realtime playback, without feedback…

Setup:
T1 Flex->Recording 1 Rec Setup: INAB: A B RLEN:64 QREC:64
T2 Flex->Recording 2. Rec Setup: INAB: A B RLEN:64 QREC:64 SRC3:T1

T1: Play trig step 1
T2: Play trig step 1 +1 micro time nudge

For my tests I used manual sampling instead of one shots…

Record first loop on track one by pressing track1+A/B…
Once that is there on track two you can overdub by pressing track2+A/B+midi…

This requires two tracks but you can leave the first one muted, you need to record the first loop there but you can do it in silence. Once there’s something in Recorder buffer one it’s available to combine with the live inputs on the “overdub” track 2…

You can now leave track one muted and do various things using and monitoring from track 2. You have the option using track two to just press track2+a/b and record only a fresh live input loop, or you can press track2+a/b+midi to combine track one’s loop with the inputs…
You can also re-record a fresh loop in silence on track one(track1+a/b), waiting to come alive in track two by pressing track2+midi, or again to be combined with the inputs with track2+a/b+midi…

If you want to overdub again you can set track one’s Src3 to T2. By pressing track1+midi on track one the basic loop will be updated to be the same as the combo overdub playing on track 2. You can do this in the background sometime when track 2 is playing before you want to overdub again… Now you can use track 2 again to overdub a 3rd layer(track2+a/b+midi)… Track one never needs to be unmuted…

To go further, by setting track 2 Src3 to cue, you can mix and match tracks to be combined with inputs. Cue track 1 to be used as the base loop, and cue anything else you want in there too… Can also add inputs c/d for more mix and match…

Does this have advantages and would you want to do this? I don’t know yet… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’m sure there’s a lot more variations than I said above as well… :monkey::loud_sound::notes:

7 Likes

I have not been following this thread closely - I probably need to read through to digest everything - but can’t scenes be used here to add a level of convenience and control?

with this aproach, you know that the max length is 64 steps of your tempo, but if you want a variable length based on your first record loop, how do you do that?

I’d like to know the answer to that question.

Let’s say i want to record in the 9/8 pulse and i set a track length at 63 steps, would the QREC=64 would mean 4 pages or 64 steps (inducing a step offset)?

I’ve gotten my octatrack last week mainly for live looping, so here is what I’ve figured out:

T1 - Flex Track
REC SETUP 1: RLEN 32, SRC3 -> CUE, TRIG: ONE
REC SETUP 2: 0.063 (FIN & FOUT), QREC PLEN
Scale 32 Steps / Master 32 Steps

T2 - Thru Track

T1 One Shot Rec trig + Normal trig on step 1, CUE + T2

• Recording on first go: T1 + YES & Press PLAY
  • Prepare track for recording: T1 + YES
  • Prepare for overdubbing: CUE + T1

I found that using is cue the easiest way to have it working. If you want to record a fresh loop without hearing the old one, just remove the playback trigger on T1 before you start recording the new part and add it back before you finish recording it.

1 Like

This might help