How to use a sampler like musical instrument

:smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, and that matured into being done with groove boxes in general, not Elektron specifically. Iā€™m back on the Keys now, and that with the Heat are the only pieces I got. So as far as slimming down goes, Iā€™m pretty lean these days.

2 Likes

Thats cool!

I had bought a system 1 to let my buddy use for getting into sound design/synthesis(he originally got a D-05 for his first hardware synth- and I was flabbergasted that his introduction was a nightmare interface)

I think Iā€™m done with Elektron synthesis- I like all the parameters readily available for live manipulation- but Elektron sampling Iā€™m all about. Happy with the Digitakt, working on a trade for an Octatrack.

But I get ya!

2 Likes

For the record - Roger Linn is still live and kicking and designing new awesome instruments.

My bad. I hadnā€™t even watched the video at that point.

Yeah I think it places way too much emphasis on the machine; as if Dilla wouldnā€™t have been Dilla wothout those particular MPC features.

To paraphrase Lennon: heā€™s an artist; he couldā€™ve made something from a Tuba.

To imagine him on an OT is wishful thinking I do sometimes. You saw how he flipped those bits of samples to make almost funky IDM. Imagine him at OT slices.

He was still pushing the envelope even near the end. I expect he would have gotten a kick out of the OT. Imo more deserving of the instrument label than an MPC.

1 Like

If your saying dillaā€™s kicks sound like a drunk 3 year olds attempt at playing drums your way out of pocket.

Dillaā€™s ā€œswingā€ or ā€œgrooveā€ whatever you want to call it is one of the most celebrated aspects of his music.

And rightfully so. Something you canā€™t teach. Or have a computer or any piece of gear do for you.

And with all that said dilla used all types of gear and samplers from spā€™s to mpcā€™s to some of those keyboard sampler/workstations like ensoniqā€™s

He pretty much is the father of the modern ā€œbeat sceneā€. Iā€™m much more of a fan of madlib but Iā€™ll always have the upmost respect for dilla and his craft. Produced plenty of classic rap songs and even got hits with Janet Jackson and Badu

Comparing his drums to that of a ā€œdrunk 3 year oldā€ is completely tasteless and disrespectful

To be fair, this was what Questlove said about the JDilla and that was not tasteless nor disrespectful. Please see the video linked.

2 Likes

So not only did you not watch the video, you also didnā€™t read the previous post about not watching the video. Go watch the video and see if you recognize the dude who made that statement. Let me guess, it wonā€™t be disrespectful when you see who said that?

1 Like

To be fair I still think the analogy is a poor one; even worse, his attempt at actually playing one.

Which is not to say he canā€™t. Voodoo proves he certainly can. I just think he was putting on more of a show for the crowd in that video.

1 Like

He expressed it in a funny way that puts a smile on your face, I think. A very visual description that paints a picture of some crazy non-standard beats that were maybe a little dangerous.

1 Like

Ok I didnā€™t watch the video true.

I just donā€™t do well with dilla slander, my apologies lol

4 Likes

Same right here.

Anything less than God-level and Im sharpening my knife.

Iā€™ve said many times that If only someone from elektron developing the OT had used an mpc the world would be different. Triggering slices with notes(good pads) mapping velocity to amp just makes senseā€¦

Give him a bit of slack. This is an Elektron forum, where the workflow is to use music machines as computers :smiley:

1 Like

different colour threads for different velocities? I like it.

2 Likes