How to sync external LFO to Digitakt BPM?

Hi,

I’d like to sync the LFO speed of a patch in my Roland SE-02 synth with the BPM of my Digitakt project. The instruments are connected via MIDI.

The SE-02’s LFO has a sync switch. Putting that switch to the ‘‘L’’ position will sync the LFO to the MIDI clock, according to the synth’s manual. So I did that.

I’ve put a note of the SE-02 patch on the 1st trig of a Digitakt pattern. When I hit play, the note’s LFO speed is not entirely synced to the BPM. It’s close though, but still a little bit off.

Is there some other setting on my Digitakt (or maybe my SE-02) that I’m missing?

Dunno, but it has to be in the Roland. The Digitakt just send out clock, transport and cc. It can’t handle the start of a LFO.

The question is if the LFO on the Roland restarts when the note is played. Or it is just like the Elektrons a free running LFO. So that it is “off” every time you press start.

In the manual of the SE-02 there is a part of the sync and running of the LFO. You can sync the delay of the LFO aswell. Perhaps that is the issue. Don’t own the box. But check the manual for that part and then the box.

Thanks for your answer.
Yes, this is the part of the manual that I’ve consulted.
Putting the switch into the L or LD position still doesn’t exactly sync the lfo to the tempo of my Digitakt.

1 Like

Could also be that the clock is a bit jibberish of the Digitakt. Have you tried other midi

Could it simply be the free running lfo, (the phase is not synced to notes) or are you sure it’s not synced correctly?

Apparently lfo can be set to free running, key sync and one shot.

Yes, there is a mode switch in the SE-02’s LFO section with the positions ‘‘1x’’, '‘key’ and ‘‘free’’.
What should be the right mode for this purpose?

I’m noticing this with the Digitone and the SE-02. The SE-02’s LFO phase appears to be “off” with respect to just about every other synth I own. The only position that appears to work ‘correctly’ with the LFO set to “Free” and the Sync set to L or LD is the top reverse saw wave. The one just to the left of that is out by about half a cycle :frowning:

I’ve got a Sub 37 CV set up next to it. I’m using the Mod 1 section in that to send correctly-synced CV to the VCF CV input on the back of the SE-02. Not ideal. You can also use a Digitone/Takt LFO to a MIDI CC value, but I prefer the voltage method as it seems smoother to my ear.

The mode should be “FREE” if you’re looking for tempo-locked LFO that doesn’t change with slightly off-beat presses of keys. Like I say, the phase is off, though…