How to setup heat with aux send?

Hi,

I’ve seen on many videos you got a couple of different ways to setup the Analog heat

You can use it on the Octatrack with the cue and use cue to alle activate the analog heat on that track which is insane but i would rather use it on the aux send if that is possible

I buyed one myself and would love to it on my acid or my elektron gear,

As you can see this is the back of my mixer

It’s a allen & heath wz3 16:2 i have 6 aux sends
But never really used them (tbh i never used aux sends) because i don’t really have that much fx pedals or so, but now with the heat i really want to try it out first of all i need which cables i need you have mono or stereo if im right?

So balanced and unbalance i guess? I put everything in Line in, my AR with 4 balanced cables thru the different outputs, my analog four also and my octatrack im only using 1 balanced cable in the main out, i probably also need a double jack for my octatrack to 1 jack in my mixer (if so mono or stereo to mono or stereo)?

But this was not my question, my question is how to setup my heat in my aux send

So now you can see the back of my mixer and the outputs/inputs and you probably know the in & outputs from the Analog heat could someone explain me which cables are the best and what is the best way to setup because it’s stereo and its a bit different i think or not?

I used a distortion pedal once not so recently but this was using only 1 cable so from input boss ds1 to output send or so i think and ouput boss ds 1 to a channel or not?

But the Analog Heat has 2 inputs, 2 outputs and 2 Control in? (which i don’t even for what they are)
Also must i connect this with midi or this not nescessary?

Hope you guys can help me out
If i need a cable plss tell me which one or post a image it’s easier for me i’m dont speak English.

Thanks!

Here is my mixer

It’s rare to use a distortion on a send as, normally, the dry signal is mixed in with it. If you are actually interested in having your fully dry signal and then layering it with the distortion, then a send makes sense. Your mixer should have an AUX send out which is controllable by knobs/sliders on each mixer channel. However, MOST mixers only have mono sends, not stereo, so you wouldn’t be able to process stereo sounds with the Heat. The output of the Heat would then go back into either the AUX RETURNS of your mixer, or if you wanted to use the mixer’s eqs and such, you’d send it back into another input on the mixer.

I am really new to making music, and one thing that seemed odd to me was the limited number of aux sends on a mixer. I was lucky to find a 12 channel with two stereo aux sends, but I would love more so I can expand the number of external fx I use. But it seems that is not how most people configure a lot of peddles for synths.

What is the connection pattern you use to process several synths through several fx units?

@slicetwo Why is it rare to use distortion on an aux send?

I’d suggest getting a Samson S-Patch for routing features. You’ll need to do a lot of reading to learn about all this stuff. Smaller mixers rarely have more than 2 AUX sends, and stereo sends are even MORE uncommon. You can also use insert FX if your mixer has it. Make sure you read the manual.

As for distortion not as a send, normally distortion is used to alter an entire sound (guitars, synths, etc). Imagine having an acoustic guitar with a distortion layer instead of just being 100% distorted. It’s just the norm. Doesn’t mean you can’t do it another way.

My setup is that all my gear is routed to my S-Patch, then I can insert FX via the front of the patchbay.

3 Likes

One setup I used had my Otto Biscuit on aux send. I would dial in specific amounts of distortion that each individual synth was actually being affected by. It allowed me to pull in and out different leads from the overall noise.

Right, but then you’re also getting the dry synth sound, which many people don’t want with distortion.

1 Like

FX like chorus, delay, reverb, phaser, and flange (modulation) can be send FX if they have a WET only option. Otherwise, it’s more common to put the FX on the insert.

Dont forget to turn the volume a little down when sending to aux fx.

This might be useful for patching different fx unit into each other. Older versions are mono but later versions can patch stereo devices.

2 Likes

You reckon there would be a way to route an effect to multiple units on a typical patchbay?

Hi thanks for helping me, i couldnt response until now. I understand a part but not everything.

I do have knobs that are controllable on each channel (16 channels)

6 aux knobs

Aux 1, aux 2, aux 3 and aux 4

Aux 5 & 6 are internal FX from my mixer

This are some specifications:

-6 auxiliary sends – 2 pre, 2 switched, 2 post fade (may be reconfigured)

-2 stereo returns – on TRS jack

-Dedicated mono output fader with innovative mode for control of aux fed subs

Is it possible to have my heat on aux so i can kinda use it on everything apart with the knobs?
And which in and outputs do i need to use

Can i use it stereo?

If your using separate channels for your sources, say ch.1 panned left and ch. 2 panned right, you can connect aux 1 to the left of the heat and turn up aux 1 on ch. 1, and connect aux 2 to the right of the heat and turn up aux 2 on ch. 2. Connect the outputs of the heat to the stereo return, or two channels panned…
By using pre fader you’ll be able to turn the channels down in the main mix and the aux’s will still send to heat, so you can get a full wet signal if you wish…
I looked at the manual for that mixer and if you connect a device to the stereo input you have to switch some internal jumpers that will make L fed aux 1 and R feed aux 2.
You also have an optional AB output with different monitoring abilities that could prove useful, but it’s too much for me to look into right now…

2 Likes

Indeed, but instead of replying (risking escalation), you can alternatively flag a post as inappropriate, that way the community can self-moderate. An unhelpful post will be deleted (and won’t be spared) if enough members flag it :thup:

A reminder …

https://www.elektronauts.com/guidelines

1 Like

Hey all,

Got an A4, Rytm and Octa that I’d like to use with my Heat without switching cables all the time. I’m aware I can I use the cue outs on the Octa but quite fancy using it as a send effect on my mixer, the VLZ4.

Does anyone else use it on such a mixer? I am pretty clueless with my mixer but see it has 2 sends (mono) and I believe a few of the Heat algorithms uses a stereo effect? Any tips for connecting it all together, I have a DeepMind12 too and a Reon Driftbox and feel it’s better used on my mixer.

Which vlz4? I have the 1202 and only one of its aux sends are pre fader. The other one is post fader which only sends audio if a channels level is up, so you can’t get a separate signal sent out without also hearing the dry version, making it not possible to hear only what is being sent to the heat.
You could use aux 1 but it would just be in mono and you would need a special mono splitter cable.

That mixer has an alternative 3-4 bus that would work good for the heat if your not using it.
Connect the alt 3-4 outs to the heat and then by pressing the mute/alt3-4 button the signal will be muted from the mains and routed to the heat.
Return the heats outs to a stereo channel to have eq or to a stereo return. Use the wet/dry mix on the heat as the signal will be fully routed through it. If you do use a channel instead of a stereo return, never press alt 3-4 on that or you will create a feedback loop.

The alt 3-4 bus is also perfect for sending things to the OT for sampling. You might want to do that instead and go the mono splitter cable from aux1 to the heat route. Connect aux1 out to a mono splitter cable and then into the heat. Again return to a channel or stereo return. Turn the aux1 knob up on a channel to send to the heat, turn that channels level down so you only hear what’s coming through the heat.
:beers:

5 Likes

Thank you so much, yes the 1202, I swear I wrote that down in my head. Been a busy week but I have a free weekend to try this. Much appreciated.

2 Likes