How to setup for 4 mono ins?

Hi guys,
I’m sure this has already been asked, but for some reason the search engine isn’t working…

Anyways,
I want to use 4 separate ins (A4/AR/WMD-SSF Modular System/Juno-106)

How do I set up each in to be mono? The A4 + AR are running on Thru machines and the Modular + 106 are using Flex Machines because I want to do real-time sampling/looping with them.

Also I am using track 8 as a master track.

Presuming I’m reading this correctly:

Thru machines - set the input you want to use via the playback menu. So, for example, Thru 1 for input A (Rytm), Thru 2 for input B (A4).

Flex machines - you’ll need to go into the record menu set up and set the input to whatever input you want. So flex 1 - your modular on input C & flex 2 0 your Juno on input D.

You’ll have room for some neighbour tracks if you like too.

I tend to just use the headphone outs on the Rytm/AK for ease to bring into one input each on the OT. There’s probably a better way which someone can chime in with - Im aware that the headphone out isnt the best option.

Yeah I just used the Left outs of the AR +A4

I just ended up running the Mix out into my mixer and making it mono there because I couldn’t find a way to make the ins mono on the octatrack.

Inputs A+C are always on the Left and B+D are on the right. I don’t know how to make them just mono within the octatrack. Can it be done?

A B C and D are all mono ins, only stereo if combined

Just set to a single input (like A) instead of AB or CD (or A+B/C+D)

A is only left if paired with B, etc.

For your application you could have:

A4 Left to OT A, to a thru machine input set to “A” only
AR Left to OT B, to a thru machine input set to “B” only
WMD Out to OT input C with Recorder for Flex track set to “C” only
106 Out to OT input D with Recorder for Flex track set to “D” only

With the appropriate recorder trigs and playback trigs on the respective flex tracks and corresponding record tracks set accordingly.

They will all play out Main or Cue across both the Left and Right outputs by default However, you can have them all go out in through four single outputs by setting each like this:

First set the project to “Studio” Mode (this allows for four mono outputs: MainL, MainR, CueL, and CueR)

A4 thru machine panned hard Left, Main vol 127, Cue vol 0
AR thru machine panned hard Right, Main vol 127, Cue vol 0
WMD flex machine panned hard Left, Main vol 0, Cue vol 127
106 flex machine panned hard Right, Main vol 0, Cue vol 127

You could set track volume lower than 127, but in my experience for this type of application is better to keep track vol at 127 and attenuate volume at the AMP VOL setting.

In this way you have four mono signals going in, being processed etc and going out in mono, separate the whole way through the signal flow, out into four separate mixer channels for example.

This is how I actually run my OT as a matter of course, just with different names for the hardware, etc; and different input assignments depending on the situation (like if I do want stereo input/output for a given application)

Hope this helps. Took me a while to get it down in the beginning.

E

4 Likes

Ah! That was it! I had my record settings messed up. I’m still quite new to the OT and compared to the AR + A4 there is a very different learning curve.

Thanks for all the info! :slight_smile:

Nice! Yep, definitely a different learning curve.
Checked out your SC, nice thick sounds :), on the track called “>;)”, is that the modular for the acid lead?

Nice! Yep, definitely a different learning curve.
Checked out your SC, nice thick sounds :), on the track called “>;)”, is that the modular for the acid lead?[/quote]
Hey thanks! :slight_smile:
Yeah I used the x0x Heart DIY module and a Happy Nerding - Super Sawtor to make the acid track which was sequenced by a Rene.

I’ve got a problem with this, can someone help me?
Ive got 2 thru machines for input C and D saperatly. I set the playback on the thru track on C to input the sound of C and the recording set up to only C
Same with D on another thru track… I still have an audio signal on the left for C and for D on the right. So they are still pared. Read the manual over and over… But I cant find it anyware. Found this thread and still no succes with input C and D. A and B are paired by the way, no problem there ofcourse…
Thanks in advance for helping me out! And sorry for this beginners question… I’ve got the octa for over a week now, and still learning…

Do you have the Direct input levels (DIR AB, DIR CD) turned up in the Mixer menu?

Yes…
I dont understand… I do everything whats in the manual and here on the forum… Hmm. Well I will sleep a night over it, try again tomorow… Maybe its a Something simple that I have overlooked…

[quote="" YloopZ""]

Yes…
…[/quote]

Then turn them down.

Yes…
…[/quote]

Then turn them down. [/quote]
Allright, that didn’t make any sense to me, because you hear no sound then. But I misunderstood how thtu machines work… I thought it was something like the master track of the input of c or d… So audio coming THRU… but that isnt it really. You must set up another track to listen to the thru machine… So if you have two thru machines then you have two other tracks processing the audio of the thru tracks. Am I right? So 4 tracks of 8 allready taken in this way… hmmm

Thanks for your answer! Made me think in another direction…

No, you don’t get it yet.
The thing one usually forget is that you have to place a trig on the very first step of your THRU track.
Think of it as a way to launch the AMP envelope on this track.

Then you can perfectly hear the sound of it directly, and use the 2 effects slots.

If you want to use a filter, you may have to place other trigs to launch the filter envelope.
Otherwise it’s good as is.

1 Like

Yes…
…[/quote]

Then turn them down. [/quote]
Allright, that didn’t make any sense to me, because you hear no sound then. But I misunderstood how thtu machines work… I thought it was something like the master track of the input of c or d… So audio coming THRU… but that isnt it really. You must set up another track to listen to the thru machine… So if you have two thru machines then you have two other tracks processing the audio of the thru tracks. Am I right? So 4 tracks of 8 allready taken in this way… hmmm

Thanks for your answer! Made me think in another direction…[/quote]

In the Mixer menu, the DIR AB and CD level settings allow you to control the levels of the AB and CD inputs as stereo pairs. No effects to the sound are available except the Master Track effects if you are using Track 8 as a Master Track.

The only way to have mono monitoring of each of the A, B, C, and D inputs is to use Thru machines a Thru machine for each input, set the INAB and INCD settings to be ‘A+B’ and ‘C+D’ the applicable single input for each track. So if you want 4 mono inputs, you need to use 4 audio tracks. So you can have a single audio track with a Thru machine assigned in order to listen to the four mono sources without the sources being hard-panned left and right.

1 Like

Apologies: my immediate previous post was originally wrong and I have now corrected it with improved description of the Thru machines.

Well, I got it working, thanks to you guys and the manual… It was a bit confusing for me. Yes, I placed trigs and yes all was set up correctly to my eyes… I did a full reset of the Octatrack (lost everything but hey… All for a good cause and I was still at the beginning of something) set up again the thru machines like you said… And it worked… I think I fiddeled too much with all settings and things, that all was messed up in the octa… But its working now with this fresh start! Thanks!

2 Likes