How to Screen Record LCD of Analog Rytm MK2

Hello.

I would like to make a video tutorial of how to use the Analog Rytm as I feel like there are no good basic introductions…

Anyway, I see that some people (Cuckoo) on YouTube have screen recorded the LCD of the Analog Rytm for easier reading in the video.

How do I do this?

Thank you! ~nate

you need something that can shoot in 4k (or 1080p but you will have to get closer) and has manual control over shutter time / iso so you can work agains the led refresh rate (otherwise you will get flicker)

1 Like

Use a second camera just for the display.

2 Likes

I’m reviving this thread. Any other suggestions? But I wanna record my OT Mk1 screen.

I do video and photography on the side. It looks like Cuckoo just uses one camera (probably 4k) then in post, he makes a copy of the video, crops it to the screen and scales it up. At least, that’s how it appears in most of the videos that I’ve seen. You can actually do the same live with OBS (free screen recording software) just by having your main source duplicated, cropped and scaled.

The main thing is to make sure you have lots of light. If not then if you expose for the screen, the rest of the machine will appear very dark. Or the other way around, your screen will appear to bright. Either way, make sure your exposure it set properly.

By the way, for this kind of video you can actually just use a 4K cellphone instead of trying to get an expensive high end camera. I recommend recording your voice with a microphone or separate audio recorder instead of relying on the internal mic. Another thing is that if you are using a cellphone it’s probably a good idea to get a separate Video recording app that lets you lock the exposure instead it setting it automatically.

7 Likes

Thanks for the help, I’ve definitely had this problem. Should I get a softbox? Does my camera need to be 4k?

If I’m using a Samsung Galaxy S7 what program will lock the exposure settings for me?

iOS has Filmic Pro, not sure android has the same app. But I believe will do all of the above recommended.

Just checked it is on Android.

1 Like

It’s definitely not required but it can help. If you can find two clip on lights with bright bulbs placed on either side of the machine, that would be the easiest. You can also bounce them off a large white sheet or cardboard/foam core or whatever. I would stay on the cheap at first and if you find yourself making these vids on a regular basis, step up to two LED light panels for either side. honestly that’s kind of overkill at the moment. You can go down a rabbit hole of photo gear that’s totally unnecessary if you’re not careful. That’s why I recommend clip on lights with nice bright bulbs but not to harsh. Maybe some LED’s with light diffusion.

No, not at all. I mention 4K because it gives you the most flexibility to scale up the video and still be able to clearly read the screen. If it’s low quality 1080p then that will definitely look bad and be difficult for the viewers to read.

Excellent! Yes, that’s what I use if I’m recording with a cell phone too. On an iPhone, it seems to give the best video quality.

1 Like

If it’s lower than 1080p quality you mean?
Or you do you think 1080p is a low quality? (Even for crop / zoom).
Coming from sd quality, DVD, VHS, I’m happy to be able to shoot with 1080p and it’s hard for me to think it’s low quality ! :smile:

1 Like

This seem alright?

Yep, that’s exactly what I was talking about. :slight_smile:

Oh sorry, I was meaning ‘Low quality 1080p’ as in, there are a lot of cells phones with really low quality “HD” video that falls apart when you scale it up. So, I guess it depends on how big you plan to scale up the OT’s screen. Or even if you plan to scale it up at all.

EDIT:
Actually, when I think about it, I still think it’s best to use 4K if you can. You’re just future proofing your videos. If you have a 4K option on your phone, go for it. Most people are watching videos on 1080p or greater monitors now a days. If you scale up the OT’s screen, you will be seeing pixels. It will be like looking at a window of 720p overlayed on a 1080p video.

1 Like

Thanks for clarification!

Pixelized pixels don’t bother me! :content: