How to Save Pattern to Computer

Hi,
I launch C6, connect the Model:samples, it shows in the config menu in the C6 software, so definitely recognises it’s connected.
Then I hit receive in the C6 software and start a backup/send of the pattern and nothing is received at the computer end. The Model:samples says backup complete after about ten seconds.

forgive me if that comes across as a stupid question, but have you saved the pattern/project on the Model:Samples prior to attempting the transfer?

You need to config C6
Select in out M:S
Turn off turbo
Turn of sds handshake
Click recieve on C6 (itll wait)
Hit send in M:S

…or u just record it…

2 Likes

Yep, I will just record it until I find a better solution.

1 Like

doesnt seem to work yet…

it does send (take care MidiOut/Thru is configured as OUT and probably not inverted) SYSex to C6. once the data comes back it says it received pattern A01… - SETTINGS but they are not active.

for me its really annoying as the function button flew off and I have a new rented machine here which I need in 5 days on stage. but I cant get my patterns in there. looks like I have to reprogram them.

oh and I tried USB, different computers, all C6 options on off, MIDI interface, etc etc. what I havent tried is sending the sysex from one machine directly to the other. if thats not working the whole process is not working at all. welcome to the world of elektron (where they usually fix stuff like that after some time). but until now it cost me 3h already.

2 Likes

C6 project/pattern backup seems to be working fine for me on Mac OS X (El Capitan) over USB.

Here’s the steps I took:

• Connected M:S to laptop via USB
  • Selected midi ports in C6 Config screen
  • Hit Receive in C6
  • Hit Config Menu/Backup/Project on the M:S
  • C6 indicated the file was being received
  • M:S indicated the file send was complete
  • Hit Stop in C6 (this step is important and isn’t intuitive - @stimming, did you do this? because if not, it looks like the transfer didn’t happen)
  • .syx file appeared in the file window in C6
  • Hit Save in C6
  • Saved .syx file appeared in saved location

I opened the file in a text editor. Sure enough, I saw the names of my patterns.

3 Likes

does this method save your patterns and samples or just your patterns… how do you do a complete back up?

This is just for saving Projects/Patterns.

You can use the Transfer app to move Samples back and forth from the device.

2 Likes

thank you

just a confirmation, is it also possible to back up sysex with the transfer app?

No, all the Transfer app can do is move samples to and from the M:S, and update the firmware. It doesn’t deal with Sysex at all.

2 Likes

everyone thanks for your help, just one more annoying question about this , is it correct that the C6 app only allows you to back up one project at a time, or is there a way to back up the whole machine at once because I don’t see that choice on my MD, all I see is send active project or active pattern???

Yes.

1 Like

A happy M: S beginner here as well :slight_smile:

Just to get it straight: if I want to backup a pattern, I need to

1. Save the patterns sysex
  2. All custom samples (since I don’t want to find out which samples are used by hand).

Correct?
Today 2020-01-29 there is no way to save pattern and samples as a unit? I guess sending large samples by sysex is not a good idea because of the low transmission rate?

How do you guys get around this? Maybe it would be a good idea to use Git as a safety net for both, samples and sysex?

Cheers, Ray

1 Like

FYI, C6 wouldn’t install on my Mac running macOS Catalina. I used SysEx Librarian from the Mac App Store and it seemed to work fine.

1 Like

C6 ended with Mojave :frowning:

In wich computer folder, does it export when you make a project backup?

i surely make a mistake, it don’t back up on the computer but on the unit itself & i just see my project with transfer, not the .syx of the backup?

Just in case this is part of your question, the Model:Samples + Transfer app can’t save a SysEx file on it’s own. It needs to be received on the computer by an app such as SysEx Librarian (which is for Mac OSX)

https://www.snoize.com/sysexlibrarian/