How to record a more full, stereo sound from MnM to my DAW

I have a drum loop I desperately want to record into ableton. It is super wide and space-y. I used instrument cables to plug in to the main outs (A/B) on my MnM, and connected those right into a Scarlett 2i-2 audio interface. However, when I record the sound. It comes out super mono and not as wide. Is there an option on either my mixer or my monomachine that is causing the sound to be less wide compared to the sound I hear straight from my MnM? Should I not be using instrument cables? Any help is appreciated!

Are you recording to a stereo file , a mono file, or two mono files in your DAW?

3 Likes

Have you panned your inputs to full L and R respectively ?

Some sound card mixers default to C

5 Likes

Open up the Focusrite control center and make sure your inputs are set as a true stereo input instead of 2 mono inputs.

4 Likes

Yeah, in the MixControl software you might need to click the little link button (looks like two circles overlapping on my version) between the two input channels to make it treat them as a stereo pair and not two mono channels.

2 Likes

Or if not using the focusrite software, open up Ableton’s preferences, go to audio, configure hardware, select 1 and 2 stereo pair. Turn 1 and 2 mono off.
Your cables are fine.

2 Likes