How to make kicks?

I’ve been putting off picking this up for ages. Finally grabbed it yesterday, loaded up… and I recognized all the patch names - turns out it’s that one bank of nice drum sounds my secondhand A4 already had when I got it :slight_smile: Happy to support the creator, can vouch for these being really nice drum sounds!

1 Like

One way I’ve done kicks sound design, I think based on a tutorial or video.

OSC1

• triangle wave
  • pitch: -40
  • Envelope modulation on the pitch modulation
  • Envelope modulation on the overdrive
  • ADSR: no attack, short release
  • Use filter 2 as a high pass and res to add some low end
  • Use filter 1 to remove the highs

…no matter how mindboggeling and endless the a4 is, it’s hard to compete with the average expectations and what we’re used to, when we think of cutting edge kiks and try to get there with the a4 “only”…

a4 offers all the ingridients it needs to get there…fast envelopes for pitchcurves, low end osc’s and what not…but all this remains just nice tryouts, if it comes to overall expected impressions…
sooo many good kikdrums can be created with a4, but not all sorts of kiks…at least not without any further, additional treatment afterwards, which every other kik u might have in mind from heard/esperienced elsewhere, which all have seen such add on sonic tricks for granted before they’d kikked in on u…

if u wanna perform live and deliver cutting edge kiks, u better add some finished/polished/optimized kiks via samples to ur sonic cake or work around with the raw beauty kiks a4 actually can deliver for real…
if u work with the a4 only, change ur perception…if it has to come up with great basslines at the same time, good old mixing rules must be applied…that lowend punch through u might dream of must come from the bass OR the kik in this case…both at once won’t do the trick…never…and as long ur not working with the individual outputs running through a dedicated mixer, these two elements will keep on fighting against each other in ur mix…

nowadays it’s common sense, to duck/sidechain all ur ingredients along to a kik…for example…u can’t expect this from the a4 alone…sure it sound kinda dull if u stick to ur workflow…
but have a look in a4’s presets first…check out some preset pax on elektron website, in case of doubts…and try out some…u really don’t have to invent from scratch when it comes down to kiks…and if u wanna stick with a4 only, don’t pick obvious ones…always keep in mind, those a little thinner ones might work way better in the end with ur basslines…especially if ur endgoal goes for bigger soundsystems and floorrockin’…

1 Like