How to loop specific steps/pages

If you want to,

-Use per track scale mode, leave pattern length 64 but set ch. len to 16. Use the first page to make your sequence, copy it by pressing page+copy, paste it in the right spot, repeat…
-Use another pattern set to 16 steps to create the pages then copy+paste to the 64 step pattern…

9 Likes

Huh! That’s so obvious, but it never occurred to me!

1 Like

I might be missing something but that doesn’t solve my purpose does it?

I just want to edit bar four and be able to listen to it in isolation. I guess that isn’t possible.

You are indeed correct, that is not possible, I guess that’s why I wrote “If you want to”…

It doesn’t do exactly what you’d like but it could perhaps be better than waitng 3 bars between every play of the 4th bar…

It just came to me!

Func + Arrow Buttons push the left button 16 times- Your first page will now be the fourth bar.

Do this for every active track. Set pattern length to 16.

Once you’re finished editing, return length to 64 and Func+> 16 times for every active track.

7 Likes

Ok thanks

1 Like

Ah!! Now I know for what the buttons need that multi-million-presses rating :wink:

… when all 16 tracks are active => 256x [FUNC]+Arrow just to get in editing position for page 2 & 4 (512x for page 3) …

(Dear Elektron, please implement key-repeat at least for [FUNC]+Arrow)

4 Likes

hey thats great thanks

1 Like

I wanted to see how triplets can be achieved on the DT, and to my head the best thing to do was to just use the metronome on 12/16 and leave the pattern length at 48/48 (16 steps x 3 pages), to avoid messing with microtiming. But something has happened along the way… Now, my pattern plays all the way through, but when it comes back to page 1, page 1 is played twice before advancing to page 2! Anyone know what’s up with that? :face_with_monocle:

Nevermind, figured it out. I had put track length to 48, and p.length was still at 64

3 Likes

Is there a way to copy an entire page (for all tracks) and paste that into a new pattern? I could swear I’ve done it before and I think it’s what people are talking about in this thread. However, now I can only copy a page for one track at a time.

PAGE + COPY and PAGE + PASTE work as expected in grid record mode. That copies trigs for the current track only. Outside of grid record mode – where I’d expect a “copy page for all tracks” to live – I can’t even select a page, much less copy one. What am I missing?

For exemple i have a pattern of 64 steps ( 4 pages ), i want to work only on the second page while listening to it as a loop. HELP ?

Not possible. A workaround is to copy-paste the page to a new 16 step pattern, work on it, then copy-paste it to page 2 of orig pattern

Not possible but there’s a workaround. If you move the second measure (page) on the first measure (page) by holding FUNC + pressing the Left Arrow 16 times, then set the pattern to 1 measure you will be working in a loop on the second measure.

When your finished, you can go back to 4 measures and move the first page to the second page (FUNC + right Arrow 16 times).

Don’t forget to SAVE your Pattern to a NEW Pattern first. Just in case.

2 Likes

Just use quick save mode and you don’t have to save to a new pattern.

I have another problem but it concern this DT functionality… Is it possible to make a 1 step repeat only? DT looks doesn’t allow to play the sequence less of 2 steps lenght… I’m asking because I would like to make those dj kind of stuff… (just sometimes) thanks

Yes, you can set Length per Track. So you could have a track of 1 step, another of four steps, another of 64 steps, etc.

You cant have a 1 step track.
Maybe there is a way around using scale to double time a 2 step track.

Yes, maybe, but it’s not something you can actually play live…
I have to say that more than I’m going deep with DT and more I find his limitations very annoying. Also because you can find some of these features in very cheaper gears. Just think about these 3 simple things: 1- The one described above. 2. You can’t send a midi start message to the DT without a clock( it means that a common midi foot controller for example can’t start the DT because it doesn’t send a midi clock too). 3 It can’t Transpose…
I love it because you can create very complex drum patterns but…let’s say I expected a little bit more…

Here’s my suggestion to Elektron :

DOWN ARROW + PAGE = Loop Mode on the Current Page
UP ARROW + PAGE = Exit Loop Mode on the Current Page - Back to Global Loop
LEFT ARROW + PAGE = Loop Previous Page
RIGHT ARROW + PAGE = Loop Next Page

Amen

2 Likes