How to explore a melodic phrase

I started misinterpreting the OP too as you mention getting things to MIDI but then reading on you went on to other inquiries… We were caught in a spiral whirlwind for a bit there, Sorry… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mean if you know me around here I am an absolutely terrible OTer, easily distracted, so I take no issue with dynamic conversations going every which way.

2 Likes

Great thread and I’m feeling a little late to the party as I think a lot of the major points have been covered and certainly better than I can. Like others I’m not from a traditional music making background and was relegated from the Recorder to the Triangle in Primary School music class because I was hopeless. I was then relegated to the subs bench… so my early experiences were of using trackers etc in a completely arbitrary fashion. But over the years I’ve picked up a bits and pieces of music theory but I’m not overly confident in the basics - rather that I combine those bits and pieces with other ideas and techniques that I’ve came across over the years. Whilst I wouldn’t want to compare myself to the likes of AFX (or even folk like AE) it’s always struck me that their success and uniqueness sprung from a similar cherry picking of ideas, close listening to all manner of influences and generally being committed to exploring ideas and honing a craft even if it isn’t a traditional route.

So, anyway, I can’t really offer specific theory advice in response to the OP. But rather just to echo some of the other comments about the importance of listening closely and to a wide variety of things. You never know when you might hear a weird tonal echo from some tunnel that inspires you to try something similar with a 303. Allied to that is a broad palate of music to listen to… there’s very little music I actively dislike and whatever I might find myself listening inadvertently is useful to deconstruct.

4 Likes

Interesting thread for sure. Writing melodically doesn’t come naturally to me, though I do like modal stuff and making patterns over a tonal root. As a guitar player I tend to noodle a lot over patterns, modes or scales. I do like my toraiz sp16 as I can set scale and then play the pads to make patterns which are melodic, it’s alot of fun, but I am only looking for lines which sit over beats and textures, I don’t write songs or particularly structured stuff which demands more control I think.
What artists do you like for melodic writing? I like Bartok and Stravinsky as they use clusters and half steps ( short phrases that creep around a small interval) but that doesn’t translate well to synths IMO. For guitar I use open tunings and DADGAD, there is so much out there which still operates within the western scale.

3 Likes

Here is a pearl of wisdom, you can thank me later. Fast forward to the 1 hour and 40 second mark;

I would say: Aphex, Holland-Dozier-Holland/ James Jamerson, Paul McCartney, the sequences and basslines Pete Hook and Stephen Morris come up with, I like the interactions of Bill Evans and Scott LaFaro, I like listening to Guqin music esp. Xu Kuanghua, Lou Reed…I like picking up ideas in cadence and flow from MCs: Biggie, GZA, Madvillain, Earl. I barely listen to what’s being said as opposed to how they’re saying it.

Sadly I don’t know Western classical well enough to mention one. But I do find myself enjoying changing things up by half steps so I will def listen to them. Thanks for that.

EDIT: I would love to hear examples of people’s favorite melodists if people want to post examples!

Love the main motif:

2 Likes

Such a great track. 5:30 is amazing.

1 Like

Melody kings…

2 Likes

Google offered a free Doodle -solution for harmonizing just yesterday in celebration of Johann Sebastian Bach’s birthday. You can download the harmonized tracks as a midi-file when you’re ready. https://www.google.com

1 Like

Here’s the tool it was based on:

https://coconet.glitch.me/

2 Likes

The singing is horrible. Yet it’s beautiful.

3 Likes

Yes! Amp Bishop is glorious.

Oh I know right. It’s like Jesus Bernard take a lesson. Luckily an incredible music video.

The 12” is where it’s at. Longer with more cowboy and frogs.

1 Like

Nice. Will check.

If it wasnt an 80’s tune and i didnt have ref visuals in my head from the time…id prob not accept the vox :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wisp is one of my favs for melodies:

2 Likes