How to delete ONLY unused samples from +Drive?

Yep, that sounds like the best approach.

Thanks for that.

I’m still getting to grips with the Transfer app only having used it a few times, but I’ll back up first, just in case something goes terribly wrong.

But your way sounds the safest. Thanks. :pray:

2 Likes

Where is the option to save the samples on re-import to the original location?

Also — does Transfer automatically reimport associated samples when you reimport the projects?

(I’m planning to back-up my Projects, reformat the +Drive, and then reimport my Projects. Just want to make sure I don’t break anything!)

Based on my experience with Model:samples:

Transfer will pop up dialog boxes to ask you questions about these things, if you start an import and there’s a choice to be made (because samples in your project to be imported duplicate some already on the plus drive).

It will automatically assume you want to finish up with a working project, by importing samples where necessary, but will offer you choices before doing that. If you choose the re-associate existing samples on the plusdrive it will do that.

To be completely sure it’s going to do what you want, best do a couple of experiments based on a throwaway project, sample, and sample folder.

1 Like

All what @bibenu said :slightly_smiling_face: (it works the same for the DT).

1 Like

Yeah, thanks. I will do that.

I’ll do a COMPLETE back up of all Projects, Samples and Sounds, and that way I should have everything on my Computer if something goes missing when re-importing.

I have a question on this. I purged unused samples from a project and now in the list of available samples, they are all spread out and not in order from 1-20 or whatever. BasicallyI have samples from 1-13 and then I have to scroll all around to 25, 53…etc to find the other samples in the project. Is there a way to consolidate this list or is that what Elk Herd is for?

as far as I know there is no way other than moving them manually or using elk herd for 1.4 or older

Well, as far as I know there is a way:

1. Go through each project and unload all unused samples. Save those projects.
  2. Go to transfer app and make a backup of all those projects on your computer.
  3. Delete everything on your DT.
  4. Move those backed up projects back on the DT.

Am I wrong?

3 Likes

Interesting. I will try this. Haven’t deleted the project yet from the DT so I need to back that up first.

I’m trying this with Elektron Transfer.
Backup all samples, projects and sounds.
Projects are backed up with the samples that are used.
From the system menu on Digitakt, format the +Drive, everything.
Drag and drop the projects back into the Digitakt, and select the option to restore used samples to their original path.
That worked fine. It’s restored the samples I’ve used in projects.
I was down to 15%, storage left, but now back up to 87% free.

2 Likes

I would add that I always have some theoretically hot, but still unused samples, that can be accidentally lost, because they are not in a single project. In this case I save them as sounds.
Also you can get an empty project and just load these samples into the pool (and save it like your other projects via Transfer), not to loose them after you format +Drive

1 Like