How to cv control minitaur?

Hello,
Can you explain better the process of calibration for the moog minitaur in the A4? I can not run the right notes on A4.

please, from start to finish, specifying the cables to be left connected in both in the moog and in A4 and which detach.

A4 1.23
Minitaur 2.1.4
Minitaur editor 3.04

Thanks

Best
Matteo C.

Hi, Iā€™m also trying to calibrate my miniataur but iā€™m a little bit afraid of frying it because I canā€™t see a way to constrain the CV Pitch V/Oct OUT of the Analog Four to stay between the 0 to +5 V permitted by the Minitaur INs.

As said in the manual, when the CV OUTs of the A4 are set to VALUE LIN, it is possible set the VALUE MIN and MAX within a range of +/-15 V. So, maybe weā€™re trying to calibrate the Minitaurā€™s pitch in a broader range than we should. After the calibration, how can we be assured that we would not be able to cross the 0 to +5 V range of the Minitaurā€¦?

1 Like

Not an direct answer to your questions but: used to own a Minitaur that I sequenced with My A4. Cannot recall how to set it up (followed instructions that I googled).

However, after some time I noticed that the cv settings were getting messed up. After some testing I dissconnected MIDI to the Minitaur. I did the cv procedure once again. Worked flawless after that.

Note, im not very a proficient MIDI-user, so it might be my limitations, but every time i tried to to use MIDI and cv together after that, the cv got messy.

Good luck

this is very possible [Edit: not for Pitch !], itā€™s right there in the CV settings for the four respective channels
Fn+CVA or B,C,D

calibrating for various synth has been discussed to death the in older forums, if youā€™re methodical and look out for the guidance contained in the manual or release notes with an OS update then you should be fine

otherwise detail what it is thatā€™s going wrong, that in itself will point you towards a solution via an increased understanding

1 Like

thank you, it might help figure out a way to solve future problems!

can you say how is it possible to constrain the CV Pitch V/Oct OUT to stay between the 0 to +5 V? itā€™s not mentioned in the manual nor in any place that Iā€™ve searched in this forum.

1 Like

Itā€™s shown in my manual and i stated how to get to the settings in my reply already !
Fn+CVA etc :thup:

Edit Nope: > For pitch, the 0v minimum is normal

well, as far as I can see, It is not mentioned:

and, Iā€™ve just confirmed that the range of the CV PITCH V/Oct can go from -10V to +10.

the whole point here is: Iā€™m trying not to damage the Minitaur sending wrong voltages to it. And Iā€™m not really sure how far it can go without anything happen, but the manual is very clear:

3 Likes

Hmm ,oops, fair point, iā€™m more Hz/V tweaking these days and the Control voltages donā€™t go negative on that system
secondly, iā€™m next most likely to be using value lin, so familiarity with the Min Max there has affected my recollection

As you helpfully point out there is no explicit capping in the settings for pitch V/Oct

I know that the settings define a gradient and a zero crossing so itā€™s actually implicit that the voltages can go negative

For your purposes, you either have to keep tabs on the Pitch extremities or offset your reference point to minimise the chances of getting high or low, whicheverā€™s worst

Iā€™m amazed i havenā€™t seen a comment along these lines before, so iā€™m glad you corrected me given the nature of the matter :thup:
ā€¦ gonna dig a bit further into this and double check what my Dark Energy is happy to receive

1 Like

yeah, no problem!
I havenā€™t seen anything about it here eitherā€¦ I think it could be easily implemented in a future update, since itā€™s already done in the CV VALUE LIN type of out.

Yep, this is a legitimate and easy FR, send it in :thup: ā€¦ itā€™s all too easy to fire out stray voltages if you get a bit adventurous on the arp ā€¦ the issue was briefly raised on here a few years back, but amounted to nothing

itā€™d be useful to get some insights into the significance of these specific warnings from third parties - itā€™s all too easily done on the MS panel, but iā€™ve heard little by way of horror stories, maybe a trip over to muffwigglers will set your mind at ease

Hi guys,
I would like to use my A4 to sequence my minitaur how would i set up the all thing? cables where to where? and anything that i need to do in the A4 parameter or something? sorry iā€™m noob.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Waldorf Pulse+

Trying to get the correct Pitch v/oct settings for the moog minitaur. Can anyone help? I donā€™t think i understand the ā€œnote 1, Voltage 1, note 2, voltage 2ā€ settings. I can get it to work but the midi keyboard i have is not functioning under the correct octaves. everything is shifted up.

so much trouble in here ā€¦ why not simply using MIDI and having NO problems??? i sometimes dont understand why we need all that CV stuff at all ā€¦ i associate CV with modular and kling klong sounds contemporary electronic music doesnt need anyway :smiley:

so - why not simply using the MIDI IN on the Taur - and thats it, problem solved?!

Try calibrating the CV stuff from the editor. These are my CV settings using an Analog Keys as a controller:

Note 1:

C2

Note 2:

C4

Yours probably wonā€™t be exactly the same, but could/should be similar.

Hello,
Who is using the ā€œMoog Minitaurā€ with ā€œApple Logic Proā€?

Thanks,
Best.

Matteo Candura

Hello, I need to ask to you, the frequency range of Minitaur are from 8hz to 523hz or from 16 to 523? Why in CV with ELEKTRON A4 on Logic Pro X the moog starts from 36hz to 523hz so from notes midi (24) to 72?
Thanks
Best
Matteo Candura

Iā€™m not sure what the current status of your issue with CV control of the new OS on your miniatur is, but assuming you have a setup for the A4 which gives you correct pitch now when controlled with CV - then your octave issue is probably related to the sometimes confusing standards in MIDI which can mean that some manufacturers refer to C4 as a different frequency to the next, so basically thereā€™s a potential 1 octave shift relative to that designation

If the software does not allow you to work with both standards (some allow you to state which reference you use)

Then you simply need to shift the octave register on the A4 for the two reference pitches you assigned to Voltage 1 and Voltage 2

This is one way to get the CV range to better fit the working range of a device, or it may be useful to bring the working range closer to the default octave setting of the A4, so you do not have to constantly shift voltage registers when you use that arrangement

The important thing to be mindful of is not allowing the A4 to output ā€˜potentiallyā€™ damaging voltages that are too low or too high, so you may only have a working octave range which is less than the A4 can serve in theory - just be careful - i recall reading a comment from a moog user about stray voltages, so keep that in mind

But in terms of setting up the CV values, that is covered in Elektron notes and countless times in the forum pages and elsewhere - there is a simple linear relationship that is generally 1v per octave, there may be an offset on this such that starting values are not close to integers (as per most synths where Cx may be 2.0v exactly)

If thatā€™s not the issue, perhaps detail what you have tried and whatā€™s wrong exactly

Plus - in the above numbers you are presenting octave ranges varying from 6 (8>523) to 4 (24>72) ā€¦ iā€™m not sure youā€™re on top of the numbers yet

Thank you @avantronica for your reply, can you explain better to me this my quote? What are the frequency out for the A4 that can damage it with CV use?

Thanks,
Best.

MATTEO C.