How to create your own machine?

Hi,

My question is: how to create a machine similar to an elektron one?

I’ve got all the software knowledge, but regarding the hardware I’ve no idea where to buy the screen, high quality buttons, A/D and D/A converters, knobs.

How to make initial hardware design?

How to iterate through hardware designs?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Alex

Prototype your sonic ideas in whichever coding environment you like or ideally Max/MSP or similar and let that dictate the answers to the next questions - or start with a more modest outlook by developing an instrument with an Axoloti dev board or arduino or similar

Then there’ll be loads of synth/pedal DIY forums where you can get ideas on the component choices and integrating it with your coding stuff

4 Likes

Yep also got my juices running (more or less) Was thinking more along the lines of reverse engineering/emulation maybe even to learn the secret chops (yup, the cheeky * bastard i am) Maybe even MonoMachine kernal dump + OS Hacking ??? Haha Just a joke dear Elektron people. I currently dont have the skills and fairly got no knowledge as to either hardware/software application.

Though playing around with my machines does spark the occasional batch of silly new ideas of stuff i’d like to see being developed one day (you know, maybe if life wouldn’t give me lemons i’d get some time off to put all my time/energy/effort into it)

Thanks for a small step into the right direction Avantronica

(Should seem possible to ‘hack’ the OS though and insert your own application to make it the machine you want, could it? e.g. some subtractive, additive ring modulated sample/wave folding machine :wink: )

Yeah, I was going to say, Axoloti + Raspberry Pi + inexpensive 7" touchscreen display + a few buttons and knobs is a good starting point. I’ve seen a few projects based around that general idea. Axoloti is the actual engine, RPi+touchscreen lets you run the Axoloti software for deep parameter diving and some patching on the fly, and the physical controls are for accessing key parameters quickly with high resolution via the Axoloti’s GPIO pins. Total cost should be around $200 depending on the specific controls and case you use.

That way you can easily play around with control schemes and software design without having to do much if any coding, and since it wouldn’t ahve to be tied to a computer you could really get a feel for it as a standalone instrument during your development process. Experimenting with different physical interfaces would just be a matter of connecting different hardware to the GPIO header and making a few changes in your patch.

Since you already program, once you were satisfied with your prototype you should be able to port the functions over to native code for some kind of dev board or an Arduino or something.

1 Like

Im not knowîng a lot software or hardware , bit the old shruthi or ambika ki, that you can always order clone phenix or tubika, id an open source project onsoftware and hardware side. Putting the 150 e the kit cost might learn you a lot on this, in top of a new synth. You can check the old post of the mutable forum, or sonic potions forum there are a lot of info on this. You can also learn a lot on hardware on midibox. Generally people source their part on reichelt, mouser, farnell…

1 Like

Also being open source, you can reflash tve shruthi atemega to maje something different with the hardware already here…

Bela?

2 Likes

Arduino with Mozzi is another route one can take to make your own hardware. I believe Bastle use it for the micro granny and a few other things.

1 Like

In my experience? Blood. Sweat. Tears.

The order is optional for you to chose.

Or do like me and do all at once.

1 Like

Many thanks for all the useful info.

I intend to have many tracks, and maybe expensive DSP, so one core at 1 GHz might not be enough.

pre-built boards might make things somewhat easier/faster in terms of development but depending on what the final result should be, things might differ a bit.
together with software development, you should also look at the design side of things too, which of course includes PCB design as well as the interface you’ll be end up building for the device, unless you have someone that can do this for you.
a basic prototype is a good starting point, whether you do that with a platform that offers you already something or go for the aforemenionted BST :smile_cat: it’s mostly your choice.
there’ll be some fun to be had along the way though :smiley:

3 Likes

Another way is to go Analog, like modding the xoxbox to be something crazyyyyy