How reliable is the M:S as MIDI clock slave?

I am seriously considering to replace my Digitakt with an M:S.

The reason: As soon as the DT is synchronized to MIDI clock as slave, it often does not play the very first beat of the pattern. This is annoying for many DT users, especially since so far none of the many firmware updates has solved the problem.

Before I “downgrade” from DT to M:S I would like to know if the M:S has this problem too :slight_smile:

There were problems mentioned with first beat drop when using Ableton. I don’t think that has been fixed.
Otherwise I can tell that the M:S is perfectly fine when just used without a DAW. I MIDI clock slave it to my other gear and it has never failed.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback. Did you use the USB connection when the first beat drops in Ableton? I want to sync the M:S to my MODX via MIDI.

…first step gets lost in sync to all daws, if u not make sure to zero the machine first…double tap the stop button…before u hit the master play head in the daw…is a bit of a pain in the ass…but no way around it, because if u don’t zero first, all elektron gear is waiting to continue at the position where u stopped them before…and in live hardware only use, this behaviour is essential…

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, @reeloy. Then this isn’t a bug, it’s more of an uncomfortable behaviour, at least for my personal use case.

If I stop the MODX sequencer, the DT will continue at the next beat (a.k.a. dropping the first beat :stuck_out_tongue:).

If I stop the MODX sequencer and reset the song position with the “|<” button on the MODX, the DT always starts on the first beat.

My Deluge shows a different behaviour: After stopping the MODX sequencer, the Deluge always starts from the first beat. This is what I would expect from the DT too.

To get back to my first question: Then the M:S has exactly the same behaviour as the DT?

I don’t lose the first beat? You don’t mention what you are using to start the DT,
it could be many things

Edit; didn’t read your latest post…
yeah you probably just have to reset the start position by double hitting stop etc…
Think that’s pretty normal behaviour

Yamaha MODX (Master) -> MIDI Clock -> Digitakt (Slave)

I’m not sure what the modx is, but as in my updated post, It probably takes a second to catch up if not reset to start position, think that’s pretty normal behaviour for most music gear using midi

Yeah, I got that. As I said, there are devices like the Deluge that react differently to MIDI Transport events. But it’s good to know it’s not a bug.

1 Like

Yes, I used the USB-Connection.

Edit: Even if I double tap stop as suggested by the people above, Ableton will not recognise the first of the 16 steps. There’s a thread about that here somewhere, but I think they did not come to any solution.

…u can send that zero information also externally…of course…check for cc content of ur daw or other external master clock sequencers…

but ALL elektron machines need a double full stop zero something info to play truu first bar beginning once in slave mode…otherwise they “swallow” first trig to catch up straight away from their former “waiting” position…

Still affecting me - even with double stop. I raised a ticket with Elektron and interestingly they confirmed it as a known bug. Still not fixed in latest firmware.

1 Like

First post here… confirming I’m having the same issue - M:S sporadically loses the first beat even after I’ve pressed double stop. I’m clocking with an arturia beatstep pro and it’s also sending the first beat to other instruments so I know the M:S is the culprit… :frowning:

For Ableton users, turn on pre count on your Live metronome.

It fixed it for me when recording.

2 Likes

Same here! count 1 bar out and everything works

1 Like

Move the first trig one click forward in the mictotiming. This will ensure that your first step always plays and it’s not off timing enough to really be noticeable. It’s not a perfect workaround but it does the job.

1 Like

Which settings do you have on the MS and on the BSP? I can’t seem to sync my MS to the BSP.
Regards!

Apologies, but I can’t remember! I shipped both of those pieces of gear out only a few months after this post because I wasn’t finding them to fit my workflow.

Ok!