How many times have you bought and sold the same gear?

i haven’t had to re-buy anything, glad i got rid of little dinky boxes and pedals cluttering up my desk. The only thing I regret is selling my op-1 but i used it to fund the purchase of an apollo 8 for a crazy good price. Would like to buy a new op-1 again, but no rush since it looks like they’ll be around for a while.

I´ve been really close to re-buy previously owned gear because of the way it sounded, how you could use it or the way it looked (can´t help it. I´m a designer) but I always stop myself in that though remembering the bad stuff which overwhelmed the good which made me sell it at the end.

One thing that has to be right though are the aesthetics of gear. I have a really hard time convincing myself buying ugly designed gear even though they sound good.

I though of re-buying the MD several times because of it´s immediacy to create music but the lo-fi sound quality has kept me away. Another factor is it´s lack of micro-timing which is crucial for my way of creating music. So I went for the OT and have kept it since. The OT paired with the ND2 cured the MD gas. But I´m on the fence weather I should sell it or not because of it´s difficult sampling methods, low sequencer resolution and difficult MIDI implementation to create chords.

My first MPC was the 2000XL but the slow editing of samples made me sell it. Last year, I bought an MPC2500 (which is way faster than the 2000XL), customised it and couldn´t be happier with it´s tight sequencer and features with JJOS XL.

2 Likes

This is funny, lately I was beginning to think that selling the OT was a failure and if Inshould buy avsecond one

Bought the Korg Es-1 MkII 3 times and sold it 3 times and still want another one.

Thus comment brought you into my top 5

3 Likes

Only with cheap stuff.
Traded away a TX81Z, missed it horribly, bought another about a year later. Still got it.
Traded away an EA-1. Didn’t even miss it that much but traded for another one that was broken that I thought I could fix. Couldn’t fix it.
Then there was this SU-10 I lent out and traded back to the same bunch of people multiple times until one of them finally sold it.
Same story with the RY30. I do miss that one occasionally but I just remind myself that it has nothing on my MPC1000.

1 Like

Hmm… lets see… off the top of my head…

3x Akai MFC-42
3x Behringer BCR2000
2x Bitstream 3x
3x Elektron Octatrack
3x Elektron MachineDrum (MD MkI, MDUW MkI, MDUW+ MKII)
6x Elektron MonoMachine (SFX-6 x1, SFX-60 MkI x4, SFX-60 MkII x 1)
4x E-Mu Proteus 2000 / Orbit 3 (2 of each)
6x Korg Electribes (2x EA1, 2x ER1, 2x ES1)
4x Roland TB-303
6x Roland SH-101
2x Sherman Filterbank 2
4x Shruthi-1
2x Spectalis 2
2x Studio Electronics SE1x
4x Waldorf Q (2x Q, 1x Q+, 1x µQ)
2x Waldorf µWave XT
3x Yamaha RM1x
3x Yamaha RS7000

:open_mouth:

7 Likes

I’ve owned the DSI evolver a few times now, and still miss it. Bought a another MnM after selling my first one. I figured if it happened twice it was worth strongly considering not selling an item rather buying a new one. It’s worked pretty well so far… i regret selling most of the things i’ve sold

1 Like

I get it! I love my nord lead 2. I often crave for more sound shaping capability, maybe some effects, but the simplicity and immediacy keeps me coming back. It’s a true instrument.

The octatrack appealed to me originally because it is (at it’s most basic level) FruityLoops (circa 1997), with extra bells and whistles. I made SO MUCH MUSIC when I was only using the early crippled versions of Fruityloops. The quality… welllllllllll - but the level of creativity and inventiveness was high, if I do day so myself. I guess the digitakt is actually closer to an 8 track version of Fruityloops - octatrack minus some bell sand whistles.

2 Likes

Man, saying it like that, I just want it even more.

I can see myself in a rig where I build music in the DigiTrak, then record it into the Octatrack for next step polish and further mayhem and sculpting.

For a brief while, I used the ES-1 like that with the Octatrack. That was a good, good rig. But the vintage way of handling data in the ES-1, kept me from keeping it. I filled it up too quickly and exporting was a nightmare.

The DigiTrak to me seems like the perfect collaboration of old and new ideas on sampling, with all the basic hygiene in place. Saving, exporting, memory, such things. With that out of the way, the feature set doesn’t have to be all that much.

:astonished::astonished::astonished:

I will save this to remind myself “its okay” in the future :slight_smile: FWIW I forgot to mention I’ve bought/sold Virus x3 (Virus Ti, Ti2 Polar, Ti Darkstar)… and thinking about buying it again… W T F…

1 Like

2 Spectralis! my biggest frustating machine ever (beatstep pro being 2nd)… sometimes I think about getting it again just to say “oh, it was not that hard to use”

Just one pedal, bought and sold and won’t be coming back (BigPi…I’m sure it’s amazing, just not what I was looking for). There are things I could sell if I need to but don’t need to yet.

I have enough equipment to cover all my synth bases. Thus, I’ll be taking great care to make sure any future purchases are actually things I need as I see now, after working with my current gear, I develop a strong relationship to them and don’t want to let them go. For example, the 0Coast looks amazing and I’m happy for anyone who got one. But after trying it out awhile, it’s just not for me at this point. I’ve developed something with my M32 and can’t easily give it up (nor can I justify them both). Or on the polyphonic end: I’m not going to replace my Alpha Juno, which I know so well (however limited), until I can afford an OB6 (got my lucky lotto ticket here).

For me alone (no judgement), I feel uncomfortable having even the tiniest bit of gear if I’m spending more time thinking about what comes next than thinking about finishing tracks.

It crosses my mind every now and then as well… possibly the best sounding box I’ve ever heard.

Me too but it was a bitch to use, the filter wouldnt open fully, and it used all 16 midi chs. I have the Accelerator although its a va I really like it.
I cant believe your list of gear you had. Maybe its different here in Aus cos gear is harder to come by ? Or like I said I’m a tight ass hoarder.

1 Like

Oh yeah I am on my 2nd Tascam 424 as well.

Ugh. Really wish I hadn’t sold mine. Tape is fun.

1 Like

I’ve never sold than bought again a piece of gear, but this reminds me of my old white and green pedals. Used to always run my guitar through an old boss delay and phaser. Would tweak those pedals beyond what one would think you could do with them. I’d use the delay with long feedback as a looper of sorts and with one hand harmonize with the repeats, and the other hand tweaking the phaser, for one example… Some of my friends wish I never upgraded past that, and see all my gear as a distraction of what I could do with a guitar and those two pedals. Anyway my story is that I don’t remember buying either of those. Used to jam with lots of folks and I think I just inherited them. After awhile someone would ask to use one and I’d let it go. I’d travel, jam more, and someone else would give me another! I think I swapped two or three of each of those and never bought one. If I let someone borrow one, at most a few months would go by and someone else would let me use one… Somehow there was always the green and white pedals!

2 Likes

Don’t forget that I’m old, and I’ve been around… some of those were brought/sold for what would be considered pocket money these days. The last SH-101 I had was ~2009/2010; brought/sold for around the $600 mark if I recall correctly. And I’d buy them all day, every day at that price point. But for the ~$1,000/$1,500 they go for now? Skip that.

2 Likes

The only thing I sold and repurchased was a Roland MC-202. I sold the original around 15 years ago for $275USD when I needed cash and then purchased another a year later for $325USD. I love the sound but I’m not sure I’d pay the $1000USD they go for now.

I’m still on my original Octatrack that I bought back in late 2012. Hehe. It has officially made it to the list of equipment to never sell.