How many times have you bought and sold the same gear?

Is it just me or is this happening to you guys too… I buy something, use it, get bored… replace it… miss it… re buy it… use it… get bored… zzz…

I recently sold my Rytm (for north of £1000 - to snarkily mention to all the haters)… regardless… thought i didnt need it. oh really? guess what. I just bought it again… am such an idiot. any other idiots?

and please dont give me the “learn to use what you have speech”… i know my machines pretty well… i think i genuinely LOVE re-jigging my studio … constantly - comes at a cost…

more then a handful, I keep things around as long as I need for a project to be finished, then sell things off due to needing other things…most gear is replaceable, so I feel if Im not using something for months on end, mine as well part ways with it and get it back again if I desire.

Sometimes its a space issue, personally I love the roland v-synth, but cant always allow the space, so sell the keyboard and get the rack…then when I trade off other synths I sell the rack and get the keyboard… im at that point again where I am in a smaller space and am selling my keyboard off to find a rack again…one of my favorite synths.
This current keyboard version is the 3rd one ive had, time to get my 3rd rack version ha.

Yup. Bought and sold the Octatrack three times. I’m an idiot.

5 Likes

With reference to Elektron I sold them for the same reasons (not allocating enough time to know the gear)… I know the boxes quite well and understand their limitations now… But no Elektron gear ??? Wowzers…

MDUW
TE OP1

Still cry :frowning:

1 Like

Bought and sold ot 3 times…
i swapped A4 and ak twice

Now i have A4 and ar and i will stay with it

1 Like

I forgot to mentinon… I bought/sold:

MD x3
OT x2
AR x2
AK first then A4

Kept the MD, OT and AR

1 Like

Octatrack: bought and sold twice, then bought it again.
Teenage Engineering OP-1: bought and sold twice, then bought it again :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Bought & sold the minitaur and dx200 twice. Have occasionally gotten twinges for another minitaur but the DX is all played out.

On my 4th sp808, but have it packed away for the moment. Got a pretty good idea about cracking the zip drive puzzle that I’d like to try.

Currently on my 2nd OT and have really gelled with it this time around. Saying that, I may still sell it again in a few months depending on how things work out with the uni/life balance.

Only the Analog Four at the very beginning where it’s released. (updates comes after it make things better on it, overbridge too… lead me to reconsidering this one. I put more efforts on this one to really like it among the others. Always today it’s not my gotogo synth. i like it for some particular sounds and i use it for that only. i use my OT with sample for the other sound territories…)

But generally if i sold something i never come back to it.

Bought Tetra years ago and realized I didn’t have the money for it, so never even used it and sold it. A couple of years later, I bought it again.

Bought sp404, didn’t like how it dealt with CCs, so sold it and then got a sp404sx and realized again that I didn’t like how it dealt with CCs.

Bought a Blofeld when it was first released, loved it but slimmed down my setup to focus on the MnM and bought it again about a year or so ago. Plan on keeping it this time.

I’m a big believer in if you’re not using it and you need the money, sell it!

1 Like

:joy:

1 Like

Did I win ?

3 Likes

Sold an MD and MM just to buy upgraded versions of them with +drive! Oh and sold and re-bought an Octa!

1 Like

Bought and sold a loooot of gear. Elektron-specific - sold A4, MD, Rytm. Repurchased Rytm.

Sold the OP-1 twice. Great machine. Respect the design. Just not for my workflow.

As a true nerd, I actually have a spreadsheet of all gear bought and sold. I have a total of the difference between bought prices and sold prices. Makes me tear up a bit whenever I look at that! :cry:

2 Likes

I’ve been there and back again with the Tempest three times. But now I’m done. Got nothing until the DigiTakt arrives, though I ache from time to time after an Octatrack again.

2 Likes

Never bought something after I sold it.
I sold a lot of things, little synths and guitar FX, but when I sell something it’s in order to never see it again, because where I’m at in my musical journey it’s not and won’t be interesting anymore.

4 Likes

I have never sold a piece of kit and then bought it back later. There has to be a good reason for getting rid of it and I remind myself if I ever feel the GAS bubbling up. :zonked:

The nearest I got was buying an A4 after selling an AK. I was tempted by the new sequencer stuff and thought the form factor might be less awkward to program.

I do like to try new kit out though. I often buy new and return within a week or so for a refund if it doesn’t live up to expectations.

Never sold anything never bought anything again a second time. Once sold it will stay sold.

1 Like