How many samples in Banks, Patterns, Parts?

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how many samples I can have in a project (in order to play a live set). From what I can tell I can have 32 samples without using ptrigs (to load a different sample into the track via a ptrig).

My math is 4 parts x 8 tracks (equals 32 samples).

And my question is:

Do banks change anything? In other words, is there a way to have different/more samples in the different banks OR banks just add more patterns (with the same samples in them)?

I tried this and it seems that changing a sample on a track changes it for the same track in another bank + pattern, but maybe there are things I have not discovered, yet. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

With due respect, I think you are not quite grasping the way that Samples are handled in a Project, and the relationship with Banks and Parts… samples don’t exist in ‘Tracks’ they contain references by a ‘Machine’ to the Project Sample Slots.

A Project can have 128 Flex and 128 Static samples. There are shared across the Project.

Each of the 16 Bank has 4 Parts. Each Part contains 8 tracks. Each track has a ‘Machine’ assigned. Flex and Static samples have a ‘Default Track Sample’; this is a reference to the Project’s Sample Slots.

There is nothing to stop you from using the same references throughout the Project, for example:

A) Bank 01 -> Part 01 -> Track 01 -> Flex use Flex001 : KickyKick.wav
B) Bank 02 -> Part 01 -> Track 01 -> Flex use Flex001 : KickyKick.wav

These are both using the same sample, ‘Flex001 : KickyKick.wav’; if you change the sample when in Bank01 Part01 to ‘ClappyClap.wav’, you are changing the sample slt in the Project, so the result would end up being:

A) Bank 01 -> Part 01 -> Track 01 -> Flex use Flex001 : ClappyClap.wav
B) Bank 02 -> Part 01 -> Track 01 -> Flex use Flex001 : ClappyClap.wav

Make sense?

6 Likes

No, thats why I had to slowly read Merlins guide like 20 times :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

@Rusty : With due respect (and what’s coming is a joke don’t take it another way…) we have not written OctaEdit ! so yes, “US” know OT not as fine as YOU… i’m sure this software writing have made you a master regarding the OT structure. (Man this guy know everything on the OT… hahaha)

:slight_smile:

PS: OctaEdit seem also to be a perfect way to understand the OT Structure itself visually exactly like Overbridge…

1 Like

@Rusty’s god-like OT wizardry is well known. That said, this is pretty basic OT 101 stuff explained in a very clear way, I thought.

3 Likes

You are right. I was not understanding the difference between machines and assigned samples.

I understand that there can be 128 flex samples and 128 static samples.

My question was if I can do the following:

A) Bank 01 -> Part 01 -> Track 01 -> Flex use Flex001 : KickyKick.wav (Default Track Sample)
B) Bank 02 -> Part 01 -> Track 01 -> Flex use Flex002 : ClappyClap.wav (Default Track Sample)

And I can.

So I have 512 slots for samples (16 banks X 4 parts X 8 tracks) and 256 samples (128 static and 128 flex), correct?

You have only 2x128 sample slots per project.
Sample slots are shared. With parts you can change the default track sample.

2 Likes

I see. Thank you.

1 Like

You have 256 Sample Slots (128 Flex and 128 Static) in a Project. These can all be different samples, or all the same sample if you want, or anything in between.

You can have a maximum of 1,024 Sample Assignments in a Project. (16 Banks x 4 Parts x 8 Flex and 8 Static). These assignments are all references to one of the Sample Slots. (Excluding Sample Locks of course)

But you still always have only 256 Samples. So at some point, you would have assignments that point to the same Sample Slot, because, well, 1,024 doesn’t fit into 256.

Clear as mud :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

This question will be on the final…

1 Like

Hahah. Yeah, it was an AP credit one.