How many of you apply reverb on the master?

As has been mentioned… Reverb on a whole mix should be done very cautiously and with a lot of technical proficiency… It’s not something I’d do unless absolutely necessary. If you have access to a send bus and different channels live, or stems whilst mixing – then there are much more elegant ways of applying your 'verb.

In terms of good tools, you don’t need to spend tons these days, I wouldn’t worry yourself with a crazy expensive pedal.

Hardware, I don’t think anyone has suggested Source Audio Ventris yet… But it’s an absolute beast. Small form factor, really high quality, as deep as you want it to be. And it’s a dual reverb, either serial or parallel. I’ve relied on it heavily for years and don’t intend to change any time soon! Brilliant and well priced second hand.

In software, I’d second the rec for NI’s Raum. I use that and love it! Also, Seventh Heaven’s light version. Those two see me through anything needed itb and sound awesome. I don’t use any Valhalla except Supermassive a little bit (I find it ok but nothing more) but I’ve heard people get great results with the Valhalla Vintage Verb. And if you want to get spendy with plugins, the Fabfilter Pro R sounds excellent too.

1 Like

I have tried using reverb on the 2 bus but never liked the result enough to print it, for music with drums anyway. The best I got it was to filter out the lows and then have a mid and a high band with the mid band having less stereo width. Seemed to help it not sounding too smeared.

The biggest problem I see with reverb on the master is that your kick and bass are going through it. So if you’re going to apply one reverb across a whole mix, send everything to 1 bus except the kick and bass and put a reverb on that bus. Send the kick and bass to another bus with no reverb. This is one reason I love the Analog Rytm, individual outs for dry or less reverb on certain tracks when playing live.

1 Like

That’s why it is recommended to use a reverb with a low cut setting. That way your bass frequencies will pass through unaffected. I also use the high cut sometimes, because I don’t always want the highest frequencies being affected either.

3 Likes

Good point and the best way to do it.

1 Like

I read that they will put higher quality videos on their YouTube channel at some point.

I think I’m just not gonna do this. I’m kind of happy with my music as is and I am looking for ways to make it even more true to its sound and voice, but applying reverb probably isn’t the answer. Seeing as I don’t use it at all on the separate tracks or samples, putting it at the end of the chain doesn’t make much sense to me now, that I’ve read all your fine answers.

Thanks, all, for contributing and saying good stuff. A solid place for learning, for sure.

1 Like

I’m using the empress reverb as my bread and butter effect for such things, but primarily on my drum mix. The modulated reverb sounds very nice for a subtle ambiance in the mix.

For me the empress reverb is an absolute powerhouse in the studio. Can’t recommend it more! The algorithms are not that outstanding but very clean and of great quality. Between all the special and funky reverb pedals I think it’s also important to consider a rather basic but nice sounding reverb for tasks like that.

Quadraverb has a lovely eq on it.

Just sayin’…

4 Likes

Hello,

if it is glue that you are looking for I would strongly advice to seek for “Ambiance” algorithms.
it can glue everything together without spacial issues.
also it works better as a bus than to just throw a reverb on the master bus, that way you can send just the right amount of each instrument in the bus without the issues

special creative use cases aside I wouldn’t apply reverb on the master for adding color, as there will be too much unwanted side effects. better on chosen individual tracks imho

1 Like

Right. You tell me, friends. I just finished this. It doesn’t have any reverb on it, anywhere - any idea of room you hear, comes from the Prophet 12’s native character sound (it has no reverb on board, it just sounds like this). While performed on the Blackbox, all synths and loops are from the Prophet 12.

Would this benefit from a little reverb, or not? -

11 Likes

I like it… just like that!
congrats this is beautiful

the field recordings and little clicks and bloops balance the ambient ethereal synth sounds really well.
these clearly seem not to be in the same “plane” but I like the contrast! it creates depth that is needed. of course this is personal taste!

prophet 12 with its 4 delay line ( *2! ) it can easily replace a chorus or reverb :wink:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Yes, the P12’s four delays are just out of this world when it comes to sound design. Ironically, as traditional delays, they’re about average. But to shape the room and space of the sound, it’s quite an outstanding feature.

1 Like

I really don’t think it needs additional reverb, sounds great as-is; it definitely does not sound dry. But I guess the only way to tell would be to add a smidgen of reverb and then A/B test.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, I suppose you’re right. But for now, I feel myself it wouldn’t add a great deal, unless one went totally overboard and made one of those lush carpets of long trails, making this into something else entirely. But I kind of like the dry and close sense of intimacy here.

I like that track! But instead on the master I would add some reverb on some of the more blippy sounds to give everything more depth. At the moment everything sounds „zoomed in“ if you understand what I mean.

2 Likes

Nods in agreement!

Real cool track , and I think the rawness would be lost somewhat with even very subtle master reverb.

1 Like

Yup, it is like a grainy old film sequence in Technicolor™. Fantastic!

2 Likes

Lovely track, btw.

Forget reverb on the master, I need @circuitghost on the master.

1 Like

I love that reference @plusn thank you for those very vivid and kind words.

@AdamJay I hear you. I’m just not gonna touch it, and move on and keep this conversation in mind. Maybe there’ll be another track coming along that might benefit more from some room treatment.

@konputa thank you for saying :pray: that is very kind.

3 Likes