How many of you apply reverb on the master?

I do at times. I think it’s a great way to really open up the mix. I don’t have a specific reverb to recommend other than that I think it’s a nice technique.

Edit: I add a subtle amount, just so hear a tiny bit on hits. It makes the mix feel really big and wide.

2 Likes

I do it on a subgroup somewhat regularly to tie some things a little together – typically the Digitakt along with the material from an aux delay, but whatever. Unless the thing I‘m working on is something ambient or atmospheric, I don‘t really have reverb over the whole master out.

1 Like

Yes. Sometimes. Tiny amount. Can sound very nice indeed.

2 Likes

I’m in the position to use one of them new Chase Bliss lexicon replicants, but I wonder if maybe such a flexible reverb is overkill on the master. What’s an appropriate way to approach this? Get something simple but great, like a Meris, or go for depth like that Chase Bliss 1978 thing?

I think this is my cue to tell you to get a Quadraverb.

14 Likes

I was about to say so: it’s super cheap, would give you a nice Warp touch… Check the Quadraverb thread!

2 Likes

The Chase Bliss must be a little overkill for this purpose, surly? Would love to try one but just couldn’t swallow the cost for a reverb pedal.

I recently got a space on one of the sends on the SiX. Meris was on there before, and will now move to the master insert once I sort the dsubs out for the same purpose as you describe.

Will get a Quadraverb one day but have no rack space at the moment.

I would use something thats stereo and cheap, cause its really not about the algo here its just about adding a tiny bit for ambience and depth

No space for the Quadra. A Meris, tho …

But I can experiment with this in software first, see what it adds to my already finished stuff. If I feel this might work, I’ll keep digging for a more SiX-friendly solution.

I got you…

14 Likes

Aaw. See, now we’re talking :heart::facepunch:

3 Likes

Heresy.

Maybe Zoom ms70cdr would be nice for this purpose ?

1 Like

I keep an Eventide Blackhole pedal on an Octatrack stereo output. Gives a density that helps fill things in.
That density often (but not always) veils any track reverbs I used as well, and so allows me to reassign those reverb FX to EQ or compressors instead, and so the result is an even better sounding mix.

iZotope Ozone used to have a great mid side mastering reverb but v4 was the last version that had it. I’ve made an Ableton effect rack with some M4L mid/side decoders and NI Raum to get the functionality back. Mostly using it for mastering jobs of very dry tracks that come in.
I have some mastering clients that have DAT recordings from the late 90s, vinyls they put out before they could afford a reverb, or a mixer with aux sends. Wanting to re-release things digitally with an updated sound. Subtle Reverb of the side band only, above 800hz, works just about every time.

10 Likes

Thanks. So I’m gonna have to try this, for sure. I like to keep my stuff dry, but wouldn’t mind a bigger room for that dryiness … uh … yeah.

So what kind of settings are we talking here? Small room? Very low mix amount? Short decay? Filter out the low frequencies?

I have to say that the Mercury7 is my favorite reverb. Currently on loan to my brother, but I’m antsy to get it back one of these days. Right now, I’m trying out subtle application of the red panda context v2. It’s on stereo cue 1 from the SiX, but I usually have all track sends on with various send amounts. I think it helps with cohesion, and space. Plus, you can swing that send knob over to Max for funsies, when those snare hits come through.

2 Likes

Yea, one of the reasons I bought the Blackhole was the 2 band eq.
I cut the lows, and adjust the highs in real-time, to taste.

Mix is usually around 9 or 10 o’clock. I’ll tweak the mix to be a wetter during breakdowns sometimes, helps me live out the pioneer DJ dream for at least 2 bars :laughing:

Decay is short-ish, almost plate style, but I’ll elongate it on more sparse tunes, and shorten it on busier tunes. Gravity knob is also fun to tweak on more minimal tracks.
The need for these program dependent changes is why I bought such a knobby reverb :slight_smile:

Freeze/infinite capabilities are also good to have for real-time performance needs. I’m excited about Dreadbox’s forthcoming stereo i/o shimmer reverb. Though the filtration looks to be either LPF or HPF. I’ll probably buy it regardless. Put whichever one is best live on my OT, and the other can live on my MKS-70. I love gear.

Seriously good and not to be ignored. I only got the Blackhole instead, due to budget restrictions.

2 Likes

I should have mailed you $20 to make up the difference! Hehe.

And for that matter there are so many reverbs that would work well on master. They don’t have to be ultra complex algorithms.

So focus on connectivity, interface, and budget.

Plenty of good and cheap rackmounts as well. Lexicon racks… TC M-One XL sounds great for $150-$200. Many of these racks have spdif, so you can setup a system where you record the dry from your gear over analog jacks into your interface, and the wet from the reverb over digital.
Good if you have a fear of commitment and don’t want to sacrifice another pair of analog inputs on your interface.

I had store credit at a store that didn’t stock the Mercury 7 :wink: This made the difference rather big.

2 Likes