How is octatrack at finishing full tracks?

Assuming you have similar levels across your DN/A4 projects you can pretty much set up the OT inputs to record them as they sound, you should not need to adjust anything, just get a nice loud signal coming in, you can allow the input LEDs to just hit red, you can check in AED for any clipping, try a few times until you get a unclipped signal, then basically you should be fine.

1 Like

I guess you’ve sold me on the OT then, thank you all so much. Will look out till a good offer for a used MKII pops up and the come back as soon as more specific questions come up that can’t be answered by tutorials and manuals. Excited!

1 Like

So I am able to set a one shot recording trig with 64 steps on the first step of a OT track and match the scales of the OT and DN pattern. OT clock and transport are sending to DN so when I hit play on the OT, DN immediately starts playing at the same time. Easy way to record the first 64 steps of the DN in sync.

However, I can’t figure out an easy way to record automatically the second time my DN goes through the sequence. I need this recording for smooth loops as there is release fading out etc. I understood your suggestion to set a one shot on step 64 for recording the second 64 steps, but then I am missing a step. So do I have to adjust micro timing max late so that it’s basically trigger 65? Do I have to adjust track and master scales? There must be an easy solution as this seems like a basic thing many people will want to do? Couldn’t find a thread though. Thanks a lot. Also a bit diappointed that recording 128 steps seems to be quite complicated, I thought the similar sequencers of DN and OT would make workarounds with scale etc. unneccesarry.

1 shot needs to be on step1, if RLEN is set to 64 it should record the whole 64 steps.

So, 1 shot record trig on step 1, press play so that everything starts, then arm the 1 shot, next time the pattern loops OT will record the 64 steps.

1 Like

Ah, so I basically repeat the same procedure as I have described above for recording the first 64 steps but only arm the recording after I already hit play so it will start on step 65? Is that correct?

Yes, that is right.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks for the tip!

So now that I’ve got the recording down, what would be the easiest way to:

• Make a track play the recording/sample of DN steps 1-64 on steps 1-64 and recording/sample of DN steps 65-129 on any further loop? It would be easiest if I could place two trigs on step 1, one to once trigger sample 1 and one to trigger a loop of sample 2. Is that possible? Or do I need slices of a 128 step recording / record 128 steps and set the loop position to step 65?

• Assign scenes where a recording/sample of a DN pattern is set on A and on B a recording/sample of the same DN pattern that I varied directly on the DN (e.g. different filters, ADSR). Samples/recordings seem to be locked to whole tracks or trigs of the tracks, how can I lock them to scenes? Do i need parts for this?

End goal would be to have the pattern structure of the DN replicated as scenes on the OT so that I can stay on an OT pattern and perform 16 DN patterns by going through e.g. scene A 1-8 (= recordings of patterns 1-8 on DN) and scene B 9-16 (= recordingds of patterns 9-16 on DN).

I am also very thankful for tips/links to threads or external sources on how to best record smooth samples without clipping of loops that have lots of reverb and long releases.

Thank you so much, I thought it’s easiest to ask you these questions directly to you experienced people as there are many ways to achieve goals on the OT and I have a specific thing I want to do which is hard to find in manuals and tutorials. If my plan with scenes doesn’t work out or you have a better suggestion, that’s also much appreciated!

You can’t lock trigs or tracks to scenes, only parameters.

To play 2 64 step samples on a track, set scale to 64 and multiplier to 1/2, place first sample on step 1 of page 1, place second sample on step 1 of page 3.

1 Like

Thanks! Smooth transitions between recorded DN patterns of 64 steps was my main goal. So best way would be to record pattern 1-16 of the DN in one take and then then lock different start/end/loop points of this sample to different scenes? Or using slices of this recording?

Well there are a few different ways you could do it, my approach would probably be to record and save your 64 step patterns, then use slot locks (in grid rec mode hold trig, use level encoder to select which slot plays)

Alternatively you could record them all sequentially into a long sample then slice it, select which plays by slice locks, and play back using a static (but can click on some material) or a flex if you have enough memory.

1 Like

Thanks, so I will dig into the specifics of your preferred approach from here on with tutorials and the manual! One last questions to be prepared: The DN patterns I want to record should amount to about 4 minutes for each song. Do I have to use static machines then or is the limit of about 8 minutes for flex machines only referring to recording buffer, but not to saved samples?

Well flex memory is limited to about 8m28s total (inc buffers) at 16bit (waste of time using 24bit here IMHO), so it is up to you to decide how best to use it, static has more capacity but some tradeoffs, see the manual.

1 Like