How is octatrack at finishing full tracks?

I am pretty sure thats fine as long as I am able to record automations and transfer to daw :smiley:

Yea I am thinking about future purchases, but its not gonna happen soon: )

Recording separate tracks at the same time on the OT sounds In theory brilliant. I mean, I normally record a stem after stem to the DAW to get separate (stereotracks) to work with. Need to experiment with this. I always thought it would eat up too much memory to record full songs. 9 minutes seems enough for one, two or maybe three tracks. Dividing it any further seems too short for ā€œfull track lengthā€ stem recording. How so do you normally use it? Recording important ā€œsectionsā€ in one take, or doing multiple takes of various tracks that you save after each recorded jam?

2 Likes

Just made some tests. I would record a live master track. Then other tracks.
You can imagine midi recording for crossfader, mutes, etc and play it again with an external sequencer, even with arranger and otā€™s midi tracks.

I recorded an EP using just OT, jamming out single patterns. Mix with your ears ā€¦ If it sounds right, it is right!

OT is a beast

5 Likes

I use my OT in studio mode so I can setup track 1-4 to main out and 5-8 to cue out.
I usually put some kind of sounds on 1-4 and some other kinds of sounds on 5-8 and then press rec on my DAW :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do more or less the same way.

You can do it in Normal mode too.
I donā€™t like Studio mode because you canā€™t mute with Cue + Track. What is better with Studio, except checking levels ?

checking levels is a great deal for me!
How you achieve cue routing in normal mode?

Same way. CUE + Level. :wink:
(After CUE + Track).
Blinking can be annoying though.

feel stoooopid

mmm Iā€™ve tried, but it doesnā€™t seems possible to do the same in Normal mode.

Activate with Cue + Track before.

so whatā€™s the real difference between Normal and Studio mode?

With the blinking stateā€¦I think.

Basically the way mutes work. In studio mode muting/unmuting a track affects main and cue. In normal mode you have two options: main and cue can be individually muted/unmuted, or you can have it so muting main unmutes cue and vice versa.

Havenā€™t checked if studio mode applies master track effects to cue outputs, in normal mode it does not.

I think it doesnā€™t work in Studio either.

Hmm, it would be nice if it did, and sorta make sense,ā€¦ I hope youā€™re wrong on that one.:wink:

Me too but I think I tried. Track 8 as Master as a special behavior, Iā€™m pretty sure it is not possible to cue it.

The main thing I find I miss when writing on the OT, or any Elektron device over a DAW is sequencing automation that is longer than 64 steps. So nice on a DAW to be able to daw those nice big curves.

Also because you canā€™t separate out the tracks in the arranger, having to duplicate heaps of patterns just to get small variations.

Though thatā€™s easier on the OT because you can have clock divided tracks to let them run over a longer time. (so wish the RYTM had that)

Holy crap. It only just occurred to me that I could use a neighbour track or set the master track to 1/8th time and use slides to get some interesting automation. Will have to experiment.

14 Likes