How is it done.... rhythmical structure

this might be nothing special to a lot of you, but somehow I cannot get my head around this…

jump to 1:45 for example… there are clicks in a rhythmical structure, speeding up, slowing down…
while the basic beat of the click is simple and contains some accents…

What I have is a Machinedrum UW and I should be able to mimic this.
From my understanding it could be an accentuated sampled click and on some notes there is a variation of
RTRG and RTIM… but I do not get this right…

How would you achieve a pattern like the one from loscil (great ambient artist by the way…)?

3 Likes

Hi i think may be different ways you can make this, similar moves or variations by song mode changing bpms and with ram machines and you said… with RTRG

is better explained here.

Sugar Bytes Effectrix is a good plugin for this kind of stuff. you just need a sound source.

yeah…
that is one great tool
I have it on my ipad but don’t get it to work.

I use a steinberg audio interface to get audio in and out of the ipad via lightning adapter,
which works on turnado but not on effectrix… weird…

Effektrix is rather a Midi effekt than a Audio effekt so far i know. you should use it on a Midi/Audio track (external audio input) in your DAW

not exactly
it can mangle audio. In fact it is made for audio…

and after you mentioned it I just wiped it from my ipad and reinstalled it and now audio is passing throu…
I am looking for some settings that fit my need but I am not sure if I find them :slight_smile:

I might give Egoist a try as well :slight_smile:

it’s both. Audio and Midi effekt
btw…is Effektrix as standalone version available for the iPad?

yes, just like egoist and turnado…
and with an interface like the steinberg UR22mk2 you can mangle external audio in real time

if you work with a DAW, use the VST version, if it’s possible. maybe this will help.

I kicked my DAW some time ago :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can achieve similar effects with the delay and its feedback, applied to an IMP machine trigged (and with lfo variations applied to the delay params). I usually do this by tweaking knobs rather than with the lfo, but I guess you should try this method. Not sure it will give you the same reult, but practice and see if it’s a convenient solution.

1 Like

will try that…
thank you!

Automation of a samples looping points is how that could be achieved or copying the same sample multiple times, assigning different loop lengths to each individual sample.

:alien:

Maybe the good idea associated with Trig Conditions… and repeating delay/echo with a very fast repeating settings… And a well prepared wave file with different electricity field recordings where you p-locks slices to get the overall emotions + filter and resonance movements + Plocking reverb

Perfectly doable on the Octatrack with quite some time invest to get something quite organic (sequence breathing - taking life on time)

Edit : Vinyl crackles materials can work too

Really liking this tune, right up my street. I didn’t know of Loscil until now. Good luck with your technical mission to recreate this, I’ve always found it good practice to try and replicate stuff that I like

that’s the point…
I often get lost in trying and end up somewhere completly different.
That I enjoy very much :slight_smile:

and you, enjoy loscil, he has some great tracks.

2 Likes

will try that as well…
OT might be the more versatile tool for that…

this is definitely an approach i’d recommend — it will get you pretty far along the path, though eventually you may want or need to combine it with more complicated techniques involving samples or the arranger, as others have mentioned.

if you’re having trouble, try dedicating a few tracks to random LFOs you can aim at RTRG and RTIM, and trig them at different intervals. experiment with the free and hold setting for different effect. might also combine it with the “ghost snare” technique.

5 Likes

This is a Weird bit of synchronicity for me as this is the second time today I’ve heard some of his work and had never heard of him before. Check out “monument builders” it’s another cool tune…

And now back to our regularly scheduled topic…

1 Like

Hey thats the trick it works man thanks for sharing

2 Likes