How I'm using the Digitakt + Heat when making a song

When I’m producing a song, I often do it like this:

10 Likes

Lots of fun!

2 Likes

round fuzz wins.

1 Like

It would have been even better to hear the song produced after recording this jam. Thats what I thought we were getting Cuckoo :wink: Funny I watched this after spending a few hours with Digitakt and Heat myself. Will try a bit of your randomness tomorrow :+1:

1 Like

me too…I was wondering if the reconstructions of the parts that “fit” were to be edited via Octatrack sampling and sequencing or if they were going to be DAW’d?

Usually DAW’ed. The Octatrack is usually my end station for live performances. But I wanna change that and make it also a studio instrument.

2 Likes

Yeah, eventually I have to make a long video like that. I want to, but it’ll probably take over a week to make though. Making a song takes time in itself. And, also documenting it at the same time, I’m worried it’ll be a daunting task. I’ll do it though. In the future! <-- insert movie trailer voice.

5 Likes

“In the future only one man can decipher Cuckoo’s musical stream of consciousness into something the world can understand. And that man…is…CUCKOO.”

Yeah it would be really interesting (educational) to see how you go on to take the recording made above and produce a song from it. Is it a sketch and you re-record parts or do you chop it up? With Heat already applied isn’t it difficult to splice parts together? Thats why a Part 2 would be good. (In the future)

1 Like

Ha ha…
In the future… one man… one desire…
coming soon… to a cinema near you

Generally what I’m doing is to use this first recording, chop it up, and make an arrangement that I like. Then I would probably go to great extents trying to record the new arrangement again, live.
I will then fail 20 times. And end up with 20 takes. I’ll then eat my hat (I don’t have a hat… I ate it) and make the necessary edits and then get on with the rest of the production.

I would probably, depending on the song, take the tonal sounds in a second pass. And maybe even the kick.
Then I will be shocked of how difficult it is to get the vocal tracks into the mix. And now I’m thinking “… I should have left more room for the vocals…” etc. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I like the process. Love how many ‘happy accidents’ can be made by simply recording long sessions of playing about.

PS When’s the next Cuckoo Remix pop video? I miss those :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, when??
I need to get going with a new one soon. I have long thought of the next one being a Bollywood style remix :wink:

2 Likes

When I’m re-arranging a live recording into a song, it looks a little bit like this.
This is like a part of the song writing process for me.

4 Likes

This is interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. I’m transitioning to a similar process, also into a DAW (Ableton). Capturing the immediacy and magic “live” (multitrack) and then post edit seems to work quite well, particularly if you were used to Ableton’s Session -> Timeline way of working. I think it’s a case of extracting those good “scenes” and then enhancing the flow so it works as a linear composition. The main trick I’m finding is to just let it evolve, and view the DAW aspect as part of this process (don’t fight it!).

2 Likes

the visual langue of the DAW can be beautifully abstract but meaningful…does syncing became an issue for you? I use Ableton and converting an audio recording to media tends to sound a little off at first.