How has quitting weed affected your music making, creativity, productivity, focus, and overall health?

Haven’t used in 9 days now and feeling awesome! My insomnia was terrible the first 6-7 days but now I feel and sleep great.

6 Likes

This is a bit silly. Getting drunk, stoned and dropping acid in high school doesn’t doom a person. Lack of opportunity may.

3 Likes

I went from deep house to angry techno after my wife made me hang up the spliffs.

12 Likes

If you like getting stoned but don’t want to smoke, start running. Makes you feel amazing and it’s way healthier.

1 Like

IMO, and not judging anyone, being productive and successful making music is already difficult enough. If you start adding other impairments (drugs/alcohol) it becomes even more so.

1 Like

Well you are judging by using the word ‘impairment.’ All good music bar (maybe? ) classical was made by potheads. That’s just a fact of life Lol
Alcohol is definitely a form of impairment tho but ganga acts like the brain’s own internal chorus. Ya.
What makes me curious is the obsession with being productive and successful. When people use those words it kinda seems like they’re talking out their pipe.
Enjoying your hobbies, that’s what makes it easy

6 Likes

Which one is it gonna be?

Solo mariJuan, mate

Personally I’m gonna stick with my straight from the earth herbal opium and cocoa blend, with a side of tobacco and mushrooms, followed by some agave nectar and potato juice.

3 Likes

Sounds delicious.
Pasta with asparagus and walnuts for me tonight.

I stopped 5 years ago and my music improved. Don’t get me wrong, I still get stuck in endless trance-like loops that make me say “oh shit bro, that’s the sickest beat I’ve ever heard dude”

I just don’t get stuck there anymore.

2 Likes

What now, do you get stuck or not?
Quitting didn’t seem to get rid of the brain sludge huhuhaha :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well if you’re working a day job, trying to have a life, and playing music (shows and releasing albums) that’s already a lot of work. If you throw drugs/alcohol (I’m not talking about occasional use) into the mix, then somethings got to give. I’ve had a few bandmates in the past who were heavy smokers, and despite being great musicians, their work suffered from constantly being stoned. YMMV.

1 Like

:slight_smile:

To me, altered states of consciousness are part of the human experience and massively valuable for psychospiritual evolution.

I recommend Dr Ronald K. Siegel’s “Intoxication” on the topic of how holotropic substances and mammals (including humans) have co-evolved and how holotropic substances are likely one of the key catalysts for consciousness / sentience evolution.

I also agree with you, whenever I listen to music on weed, I realise that most likely the music I’m listening to was made on weed :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is a pretty interesting thread. Being in the PNW of the US I found that Sativa made me creative making music. Other drugs have their place too. Alcohol never inspires and makes me lazy so I’d rather listen to music. Acid and cocaine I’d say have a positive effect on music. It’s just about being free and not stressed in my opinion.

Interesting what artists abstain… Kaskade was always funny to me because of his audience, that he doesn’t drink or condone drugs.

2 Likes

That doesn’t surprise me about Kaskade. He’s Mormon and looks like a personal trainer. Maybe drugs would improve his music lol.

3 Likes

I’m reading this thread this morning after having had an argument with my GF yesterday night about the fact that I smoked 3 small Js over the weekend. I didn’t see the problem but she told me I was “a different person” while high. I don’t like that idea so much.
I’m 30 and started indulging when I was in my early 20s. I have always been very distracted and I really believe that weed has helped me focus when I was a student and for some reason, I feel that it helps me get the chores done because I don’t like being high in a messy environment. Also paradoxically, the slight anxiety I get when smoking seems to motivate me to get stuff done that I would usually procrastinate. Regarding producing music while high, I realized early that it did not make my music better but maybe helped to kick things off. Music and sound design is what I do for a living so if I had to smoke to be productive at work, I feel that it would be a problem. It’s been a while since I didn’t quit for a few weeks and reading this thread makes me realize that I should try and put it down for a while and see what’s up.

3 Likes

I alwayd wondered what I was like when I was smoking if I was any different and if I’d be better off not (started smoking like Snoop Dog at 19 to 29ish with a slow wind down). Found out that nope, if anything Im more of an asshole because I dont reflect as much on my actions and how I acted through the course of the day. So maybe she is projectimg her own distaste for smoking (she probably didnt have an enjoyable experience). My wife would always say she didnt like me smoking because it was illegal, and that I was a different person too, but now that I dont, she’s found new excuses. I think she just needs to realize this isnt a Disney movie, and that Im still the same dude she fell in love with, just a little less red eyed.

3 Likes

Well I dont condone people who idealize con artist who was killed by an angry mob sick of his lying bullshit.

V curious about this response :popcorn::star_struck: