How does Maschine Studio compare to the OT in terms of sequencing?

P-locks (i.e. step modulation) can last for any length that you want in Maschine, as determined by the grid resolution.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I wrote in different words

I have no experience with max for live. And unfortunately, I can’t get information on the Ableton forum because you need a valid licence to ask questions…

I’m thinking of getting Live Lite 10. Eight tracks with drum racks is plenty, and if I’m done, I export everything to Logic. I’m thinking Komplete Kontrol S49 MK1 + Live Lite 10.

There’s no MIDI implementation chart for Simpler or any other Ableton device to be found. I know you can make a MIDI remote script with a text editor to control the eight macro knobs of any in-focus-plugin rack. I know with Push (which I’ve used, the first version) and touchAble, you can do exactly what I want. So it is possible. But I haven’t found any information on how to get this same functionality with a regular MIDI keyboard.

Edit: It seems that I have to build a custom remote script with Python.
Unfortunately I am not a coder. Maybe I can find a existing script and edit it? :confused:

Been using Maschine (with Jam controller) mainly as a side instrument while DJ mixing in Traktor. The Live function works brilliantly for Sync.
Arpegiattor is great, as well as morphing, chords mode as well as some other stuff. NI Library also.
Nevertheless, if you are serious about your DAW, then it is a NO.
I have come across Reaper (as Live does not suit my workflow) and I am not going back :slight_smile:
Will keep Maschine though as a looper, effects send.

I am prety sure there is a ableton script for kontrol S series keyboards, and you can also just use it in midi mode and assign knobs to the functions you want, then just save it as default. If you finally go the ableton route you could also look for a cheap novation launchpad, isotonik studios makes some wonderful scripts…even launchpad default mode can give you very good extra functionality

Obrigado :wink:

I’ll probably get some cheap controller to get Live Lite that comes with it.

Problem with the Komplete Kontrol is that it is mainly made for use with the Kontrol Plugin. I don’t think they took the effort to have it control every device in focus properly. Heck, it doesn’t even do sample editing in their own Maschine Software.
But it’s the best built keyboard for that kind of money on the second hand market as far as I know.

1 Like

For best integration with live I would consider a novation keyboard too

I give up.
Been up all night to try to figure this out with a Live 10 demo and half baked tutorials. It’s not working.
And I keep bumping into issues with Ableton, like with Sampler -> you still can’t automate sample start point and loop points with a simple MIDI message (except for with the Mod Wheel), after all these years… And Simpler doesn’t do alternate looping? I give up on this idea! At least for the time being, with Ableton. Yikes

I’ll go with the Maschine Studio or MK3. The p-lock-based-on-grid-resolution is super interesting. I’m leaning towards the MK3 as the build quality seems much better. Similar to the Push, which I’ve used plenty and was built like a tank

You can do P-Locks with Push 2 too, you have to select the clip, the layout button shows sequence (melodic or Melodic +32 steps), press “device” and while holding a step make any changes with the encoders. You can have a 1/4 note with 4 1/16 p-Locks if you want or the P-Lock for the whole 1/4 note.

When you press “clip” button while holding a step you can also change the note/notes, length, nudge and velocity per note. The truth is I had never used the P-locks on push 2, is really fastr and fun to use…if it was not for your question I would not have looked it up…Thanks…:wink:

I would not say MK3 built quality is better (push 2 is heavier, which is supposed to be good), push 2 encoders feel better than those on the MK3. The pads I prefer those on the MK3 though.

I do not know if it is possible to try out maschine software before buying, but I would recommend you doing it. You will find way more limitations in maschine software than in ableton, but it is also true that you can do most stuff in the controller with out needing to look at the computer screen; you can do a lot on Push 2 screen 2, in some areas is also better like real time frequency analysis for eq for example

I used to primarily use Maschine for sequencing and sound design, but recently sold an MKIII controller in order to get an Analog 4 MKI. For what it’s worth, I personally found myself overwhelmed using maschine and, as others have pointed out, frustrated by bugs and software quirks. That isn’t to say Analog 4 is without quirks or whatever, but I do find the limitations and the chance to make music away from my computer refreshing. Maschine is cool, but there are not shortages of reasons to step away from the software. Again for what it’s worth, I like working with an instrument that has limitations and its own personality rather than what software creation grants.

Push 2 is too expensive. I’m not willing to spend more than 300-400 in total.
Push 1 I used but didn’t like the pads (which felt like buttons) to play anything decent with. However, the step sequencer is very intuitive and the build quality is excellent. I am considering getting Push 1 + MIDI keyboard atm. With the Komplete Kontrol keyboards come a ton of free software, including Live Lite 10. I could complement it with something like Lemur or touchAble on my iPad Air.
Also, if I’d get the Maschine, I’d end up doing boom bap all day long :smile:
With the push sequencer I feel there’s more room for experimentation.
But tomorrow I might change my mind again and go the MK3 route

Seta, look here:

It’s probably similar in Push 2

Also, step length is changed instantly with the step length buttons next to the pads/sequencer. Those buttons are really powerful icw the parameter lock

The sequener on push 1/2 is imho much more powerful than the OT, and much quicker to get things done. It’s a breeze to program a complex 16 bar drum part.

If you split up your parts to several tracks, you can do polyrhythms too. And you can achieve conditional trigs/randomness, kind of, with clip actions in session.
You can also do cool stuff with dummy midi clips that contain automation only by triggering those clips with any midi controller (you’d need max4live to route things properly). You can basically switch between sets of parameters with your keyboard. With chain selector, you could probaby set up a smooth transition, like on the OT (and Maschine too since recently), but I’ve never tried it

I was lucky enough to get the summer Ableton deal, thrown in Spain only I know off.
600€ for Push 2 with Live 10 Suite upgrade for free, normal price 1100€

Push comes with Live intro, which is 16 track, the lite version is only 8 track. So if you get a push second hand make sure you get the Live intro that comes with it.

The workflow on push 2 is same as on push 1, only the display is better and you can see the sequencer grid too. Some obvious omission from elektron boxes are probability and conditional trigs, but there are lots of different sequencers that add lots of features non seen anywhere else, you need max4live though. Look at Isotonik Arcade returns, some really fun tools there.
As I said before push plus a novation launchpad can make a powerful combo too.

They say pads on push 2 are better too, never used a push 1 so I can not compare myself

Have a look at the push 2 videos, I think you can get a push 2 for around 300-350€ if you shop around, It will probably come with live 10 intro. Push 1 may come with live 8 or 9 intro, I am not sure about that but can be as low as 100€ on ebay

Another problem with Maschine is there is no proper arranger mode and clip mode is way more limited than Ableton´s one. I started using live with maschine Jam ableton template, which I thought was quite good; until I got push 2, difference is quite big

No, it’s around 500€ for a second handed Push 2 here, without Live Standard/Suite. Push 1 is around 150€ and it comes with Live Intro 9. I can live with 8 tracks in Live Lite 10. No problem. I use Logic to finish a track.
If I get the Push 1, I can always upgrade when prices drop within a year, 2 years and keep my workflow

By the way, Live 10 suite demo now is good for 3 months instead of 1 month because of covid19, in case you want to try it out

Yeah, I downloaded the demo during the weekend.
However, yesterday I ordered the MK3 instead. It was cheap and it’s simply plug and play. I have an old keyboard laying around so I can setup the ASR10 workflow without too much hassle.
Thanks a lot for your help. This forum is excellent.
I will try to answer my initial questions during the days to come

1 Like

After a little bit of time with the MK3, I can answer my initial question.

First, this thing is amazing. Such an improvement over the MK1.

As for P-lock in the step sequencer (compared to Elektron):
It is a little bit different and needs some getting used to. Overall, I really like its workflow.
You can for example press all the steps at once and p-lock them all at once. You will need 16 fingers, though… + a free hand to dial in values. The p-locks, as mentioned are not locked to samples/sampleTrigs, instead to the grid divisions. This has the advantage that you can for example open a reverb and “gate” it (open-close-open-close) for an entire pattern, regardless of the position of “sample trigs”. This is really cool. Workflow is pretty good.
You can’t, however, and this is a real bummer, remove p-locks… You have to redial a value to its original state or remove all automation at once, or use your mouse, which is a bit painful.
Everything else has been answered in this thread previously.

1 Like

I hope you enjoy it, however I would say working with p-locks on the Push 2 is faster

The step sequencer in push is superior. No doubt. I’m really enjoying these maschine pads though. Big and sensitive. Very expressive controller.
Mk3 and Push 2 combined in Live 10 with the Maschine as VST coumd be a killer combo, I’m sure :wink:

The pads on Maschine Mk3 are way better than those on Push 2, no doubt. But I hated having to use Maschine as a VST on ableton, to many layers. Also since I bought Live 10 Suite I did not feel I needed NI Library anymore.

I am glad you are enjoying it :wink:

1 Like